MP3 Player recommendation

Discussion about anything that might be of interest to MediaMonkey users.

Moderator: Gurus

ferdia

MP3 Player recommendation

Post by ferdia »

Hi all, are there any MP3 Players out there that are known to work particularly well with Media Monkey?

Most specifically, I recently took on the enormous task of going through my MP3 collection, and removing all the instances of "feat", "with", "and" etc etc, and combining the artists in the Artist column using a semi-colon. It was an enormous task but it has paid off no end. The problem is that my iPod, which I'm looking into replacing, now shows the same artist five or ten times, with ;<other-artist> after each list item. Do any MP3 players support that semi-colon parcing?

Thanks in advance.
nohitter151

Re: MP3 Player recommendation

Post by nohitter151 »

ferdia wrote:Hi all, are there any MP3 Players out there that are known to work particularly well with Media Monkey?

Most specifically, I recently took on the enormous task of going through my MP3 collection, and removing all the instances of "feat", "with", "and" etc etc, and combining the artists in the Artist column using a semi-colon. It was an enormous task but it has paid off no end. The problem is that my iPod, which I'm looking into replacing, now shows the same artist five or ten times, with ;<other-artist> after each list item. Do any MP3 players support that semi-colon parcing?

Thanks in advance.
I don't know of any. But you can just check the option: "Use only the first value when multiple Artists / Composers exist" and it will just use the first value in your iPod.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
ferdia

Post by ferdia »

Hi nohitter. Thanks for the info! I'll use that for the meantime.

I am looking to replace the iPod either way. It's put in a good 5 or 6 years now and I think it's time for a new one.
Solitaire001

Post by Solitaire001 »

I have a Sony Walkman (NWZ-E465, 16GB Flash player) that works well with MediaMonkey (MM). MM has many features that allow it to work well with my player including:

- Automatic file conversion during syncing: Walkman players have a few requirements when it comes to file formats. As an example, it supports a minimum bitrate of 32kbps with MP3s so I have it automatically increase the bitrate when necessary (such as some podcasts) when syncing the files to my player.

- Improved podcast support

- Video support

It doesn't support semi-colon parsing but the option that nohitter151 mentioned works well. My own preference is to just disregard the semi-colon and just list all of the artists in the artist tag.
ruan

Post by ruan »

Solitaire001, are you able to create and manage playlists in MediaMonkey for the NWZ-E465?

If so, does it require any special maneuvers?
Solitaire001

Post by Solitaire001 »

ruan wrote:Solitaire001, are you able to create and manage playlists in MediaMonkey for the NWZ-E465?

If so, does it require any special maneuvers?
I apologize for not responding sooner. I am able to easily create and manage playlists on my NWZ-E465 by syncing my player. When I set up my player in MediaMonkey, I select the media (including playlists) that I want loaded on my player. When I sync my player, what I've selected will be loaded on my player.

I have a number of playlists that I load on my player, including the following:

- Favorite Songs: Songs rated five stars

- Music Sampler: Songs rated zero or one stars, giving me a chance to find hidden gems in my collection

- Instrumentals

- Humorous: Songs that are humorous, including songs that don't fall into the classification of Parody or Comedy.
Anamon

Post by Anamon »

I doubt that any players support multi-tags. In my experience most players already do a shitty enough job even with very basic, legal ID3v2 tagging. It just seems to be not very high up on any manufacturer's priority list. Also, I think 99% of people do not go beyond what ID3v1 already offered anyway.

Apart from that, the main suggestion I'd give is to go for a player that you can use as a simple mass storage device (i.e., like an USB stick). First, you'll have cross-platform compatibility with all important operating systems, and you'll usually be able to connect it to any comupter without having to have administrator rights in order to install a driver or some proprietary software. Second, even though MediaMonkey does a good job at syncing iOS devices etc. by now, these proprietary protocol turds are always subject to change, and after updating your device you could always go back into limbo while MM devs are trying to reverse engineer and figure out how to get the thing working again... you'll never have such problems with a simple mass storage player.

Personally, I always recommend players from Cowon. I've used their players exclusively for almost 10 years now, and don't even look at other manufacturers anymore. Their players have lots of nice features, FLAC support, and some of the best sound quality you can get on any portable player. They feel like they're made by people who really care about music more than gimmicks and gadgets. Also, some of their players have amazing battery life (their official numbers are pretty spot-on, my 60-hour iAudio 7 is about 5 years old now and still plays for 40+ hours without recharging).
veganmark

Post by veganmark »

Go to my favourite website for non-ipod mp3 players and reviews.

http://www.anythingbutipod.com

Click on the forums after you check out the main page. It was because of anythingbutipod that I chose my cowon and zune players and my mum now has a sony walkman.
Mark G.