SHOUTcast

Discussion about anything that might be of interest to MediaMonkey users.

Moderator: Gurus

Guy Smiley

SHOUTcast

Post by Guy Smiley »

Just wondering if anyone's tried the SHOUTcast DSP plug-in with MM. Does it work? Not work? Self-destruct?

Thanks in advance :D
jaxjon

Post by jaxjon »

That's a great question. I would like to broadcast my collection through MMonkey but I am wary of copyright licensing issues for webcasting the way things in US are now (cost $). It would be nice to be able to access streaming audio from others through MMonkey. Does anyone know if this is possible?

Thanks,
Jaxjon
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I don't think this is possible in MM itself as it has no support currently for streaming media. A solution might be found on the WinAmp plugin website. Another source could be to go to the website of shoutcast and check if they have a plugin for WinAmp.

Good luck
Guy Smiley

Post by Guy Smiley »

There is a plug-in for Winamp 2.x, but I couldn't get it to work in MM. It says something to the effect of "Can't find output plug-in". I'll keep playing with it and see.

As for broadcasting, I'm not really interested in playing music for the masses or tuning into streams. I'm more interested in broadcasting a private stream for myself when I'm on the road. It's a lot easier than hauling a ton of CDs around or overloading my laptop with MP3s. I don't think copyright will really be an issue if it's a private stream, but I could be wrong.

:D
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Well if the RIAA had a say it would be illegal, lol
jaxjon

Post by jaxjon »

You can broadcast a personnal stream using Windows Media Encoder-free from MS web site(does support mp3). Just set it to (pull) from the encoder and you can access your stream from WMPlayer by entering url (which is given in WMEncoder. You can also access it by creating a .asx file and posting to web server. If MMonkey supported asf/asx type you could access through it, as of now I am accessing w/ WMPlayer :cry:

Jaxjon
Last edited by jaxjon on Wed Oct 22, 2003 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
jaxjon

Post by jaxjon »

I found that to play the stream I created using WMEncoder in Winamp 2.91 you can goto file-play-location-enter url and then add /.mp3 or /.wma to the end. Plays just fine. Here is the URL for my stream, I will leave it up for a while (day or so). The encoder eats resources a bit and I am tinkering with it so it may be down from time to time. For this enter .wma at end

http://66.177.192.173:8080/

Jaxjon
SenseMaker2010

Re:

Post by SenseMaker2010 »

jaxjon wrote:That's a great question. I would like to broadcast my collection through MMonkey but I am wary of copyright licensing issues for webcasting the way things in US are now (cost $). It would be nice to be able to access streaming audio from others through MMonkey. Does anyone know if this is possible?

Thanks,
Jaxjon
meanwhile the alternative would be using an Icecast server instead a Shoutcast server (even Icecast can integrate Shoutcast functionalities) as it uses OGG, which is free of any software licence problems...

Anybody some concrete experiences with ?? Pls see here my lastest posting about Shoutcast/Icecast in MM...

PS: Seems there existed a Winamp Shoutcast plugin with MediaMonkey. Here the thread... Does anybody know where to find ? Googling didnt bring me something concrete.
srroom

Re: SHOUTcast

Post by srroom »

Hi,
I was wondering if you were able to find the said Winamp Shoutcast plugin? I would really like to get my hands on it. Thanks!