Can MM save library and not scan everything when opened?

Discussion about anything that might be of interest to MediaMonkey users.

Moderator: Gurus

Kutusov

Can MM save library and not scan everything when opened?

Post by Kutusov »

It's sort of a newbie question but I've been using MM for ages. I had everything set up so haven't looked into what new features it might have.

MM always took a while to open as it goes through all the stuff in the music folder(s) to populate the player. Is there any way it can save a "last point" and just check for differences instead going through the whole thing?

I know I'm complaining about 10 or 15 seconds but it would still be a ice surprise to know there is now such a feature...
dtsig

Re: Can MM save library and not scan everything when opened?

Post by dtsig »

If you are going to add media to your directories when MMW isn't running .. about all you can do is rescan on startup (sounds like that option is currently set).
If you can wait to put new media in your folders only when MMW is running .. you can set the folders to continuously scan (windows tells mmw when something new shows up) and then you could turn off the scan on start up.
That is how I have mine set up ..
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
Kutusov

Post by Kutusov »

Thanks but I was thinking more along the lines of it working like this... scan once it knows what it was in a folder and the pathway. If I add something and if I want to update what MM "thinks" it has on its library, I would click on something so it went ahead and scan the folders to see if anything had changed and add or remove it from its "internal" or remembered or assumed library?

It's a bit of a pain in the neck having it retrieving the whole library and album covers everytime I open it up. If that could be saved and updated only when I told it to do so I would much prefer... I don't think that's the way you have it set up nor could it be done, could it?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

This is how MediaMonkey works by default. However some settings/actions can make it behave/seem to behave differently.

1) Folder Monitoring can be set to scan at Startup and this runs as a regular scan. This is set in File > Add/Rescan Files.

2) Now Playing will scan any files it has on startup as it may contain non-Library files. The more files you keep in the Now Playing the longer this takes.

3) My Computer works the same and scans files on the hard drive, thus if it is selected on startup or used during operations will scan files. Use Collection nodes like Music instead.
Kutusov

Post by Kutusov »

Thanks, I think that's how I have it set up. It's actually the album art that slows things a bit but that's the way I'm used to use it.

Anyway, was just wondering if there were any new ways of setting MM, now that I'm doing it again. Still THE player to have but you know, it has so many settings and options that a casual user never knows them all.

Thanks again for the help, happy holidays!