Another nice feature for classical music

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

jwhitworth

Another nice feature for classical music

Post by jwhitworth »

It would be nice if under my "Work" listing the sorting could account for single digit and double digits as part of a text field.. Currently in MMW4 you get the following:

Piano Sonata No. 1
Piano Sonata No. 10
Piano Sonata No. 11
Piano Sonata No. 12
Piano Sonata No. 13
Piano Sonata No. 14
Piano Sonata No. 15
Piano Sonata No. 16
Piano Sonata No. 17
Piano Sonata No. 18
Piano Sonata No. 19
Piano Sonata No. 2
Piano Sonata No. 20
Piano Sonata No. 21

The only way to get it the way I want right now is to pad with zeros. I really do not want to do that.

Should be:

Piano Sonata No. 1
Piano Sonata No. 2
Piano Sonata No. 3
Piano Sonata No. 4
Piano Sonata No. 10
Piano Sonata No. 11
Piano Sonata No. 12
Piano Sonata No. 13
Piano Sonata No. 14
Piano Sonata No. 15
Piano Sonata No. 16
Piano Sonata No. 17
Piano Sonata No. 18
Piano Sonata No. 19
Piano Sonata No. 20
Piano Sonata No. 21

See example:

djdd

Re: Another nice feature for classical music

Post by djdd »

The only way to get it the way I want right now is to pad with zeros.
To handle situation like this I add an additional spaces, not a Zeros in front of the numbers, still manual work, but looks better.
To implement this request in software, so that all situations would be correct could be quite difficult.

Regards,
Dieter
yarguy

Post by yarguy »

It's not impossible at all. The sort function in Orange CD (a record cataloguing software I use) always sorts 1-9 before 10 and 10-99 before 100 when they are embedded in a string with no padding with 0 or spaces. My Haydn entries for String Quartets, Piano Sonatas and Symphonies are all correctly ordered and I don't pad them in any way (and I just checked to be sure).
djdd wrote:
To handle situation like this I add an additional spaces, not a Zeros in front of the numbers, still manual work, but looks better.
To implement this request in software, so that all situations would be correct could be quite difficult.

Regards,
Dieter
jwhitworth

Post by jwhitworth »

djdd wrote:

Regards,
Dieter
I had not thought of that approach. I will probably wait to see if the developers can implement the request before I "fix" all of my tags.