5.0.0.2062 Review by MPG

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

MPG

5.0.0.2062 Review by MPG

Post by MPG »

Hi,
These are the areas that I feel need to be improved upon, not working on version 5.0.0.2062

- Navigated to a folder on my C drive that has music in subfolders. Pressed INS key and the scan window did not open. Context menu doesn't provide option (This should be re-instated). After opening menu in top left, the INS key worked. Closed and reopened the application and was unable to reproduce.
- After scan results pop up, I was typing on a different monitor. Went to click Close and had to click twice. This happens on all popups. The first click sets focus. The second click triggers click event. Very frustrating.
- Need ability to stop music on player. Not just pause. Pause keeps filed locked. Stop releases file so it can be managed by outside software.

- Like the little numbers beside column names to show sort order. Nice feature

- Need ability to resize columns when view All Tracks
- need ability to move artwork to another location. Takes up valuable real estate.

- when looking at albums view, need ability to display details, not just icon view.

- please provide an option to get rid of these icon views. I need details, not pictures.

- How does one use Pinned? I tried dragging a song to it, but nothing happened. Context menu show nothing

- Opened Auto-Organize with Ctrl-R. Clicked on the >>. Several columns are missing text. Selecting such rows adds text to Destination field.
- Typed in an invalid formula If(Len(<Artist> > 20), <Artist:19> - <Title>, <Artist> - <Title>) Created the following file:
If(LenThe Jeff Healey Band 20, The Jeff Healey Ban - All Along The Watchtower, The Jeff Healey Band - All Along The Watchtower).mp3
- I then typed in .\<Artist> - <Album> - <Track#:2> - <Title>
- every song was Duplicated were created. Yes move and rename files to new destination based on file tags was selected. :)

- When you resize columns past visible space, there is no scroll bar along the bottom to see text beyond visible area.

- Much more stable release. Hasn't crashed yet!

That's it for tonight. :)

Keep On Truckin'. lol

MPG
TIA
MPG
Triumph - Hold On: Music holds the secret, to know it can make you whole.
dtsig

Re: 5.0.0.2062 Review by MPG

Post by dtsig »

Resize columns works well ..
I resized a column past the current view and there is a scroll bar at the bottom of the grid
Last edited by dtsig on Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
MPG

Post by MPG »

I couldn't find a way to resize columns on the "All tracks" view. Or change the columns to what I would value seeing.
TIA
MPG
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

I am using Monkey Groove skin. If i move my arrow along the columns i get the <-> icon before each column (except the first column).

Also I right click the column heading and get a popup of all the columns so i can make it as i desire
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

DTSig
PetrCBR

Post by PetrCBR »

There are 3 modes in all tracks view. In 'simple tracklist' mode columns cannot be resized, because they are dynamic.
How to make a debuglog - step 4b: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86643
jiri

Post by jiri »

Navigated to a folder on my C drive that has music in subfolders. Pressed INS key and the scan window did not open. Context menu doesn't provide option (This should be re-instated). After opening menu in top left, the INS key worked. Closed and reopened the application and was unable to reproduce.
Works fine here. Please let us know in case you find out more...
Need ability to stop music on player. Not just pause. Pause keeps filed locked. Stop releases file so it can be managed by outside software.
The next build will have some Player buttons configuration, so you'll be able to enable Stop. Currently it's accessible by Player pop-up menu only.
need ability to move artwork to another location. Takes up valuable real estate.
The next build will have panels customization implemented, so you'll be able to move it to the left panel.
when looking at albums view, need ability to display details, not just icon view
please provide an option to get rid of these icon views. I need details, not pictures.
Some modifications are planned.
How does one use Pinned? I tried dragging a song to it, but nothing happened. Context menu show nothing.
There are various places where you can pin items, e.g. menu in the Artist or Album views (individual artist '...' menu). But you are right that d&d to the Pinned node is missing, will be added.

We'll also look into the other issues you raised.

Thanks for the feedback!
Jiri
MPG

Post by MPG »

- I had a number of songs in a folder that I removed outside of MM. I then moved some new songs into the same folder outside of MM. I then did a scan, which identified the missing songs (this is good). I then told MM to remove those songs from it's library. I then created an auto playlist to only include songs from the folder (Path/FileName contains "LocalData\Music"). The query returned the new songs and the songs that had been removed.

- I gotta tell you that the location to name the playlist isn't well defined. I wasn't sure if that was an uneditable label or a text field.

- When doing a scan, I couldn't see a bar to show progress so I didn't know if it was operating or not. The only clue was the app icon on the taskbar had a scrolling green line.

- I am happy to report that moving the application from the #1 monitor to #2, minimizing it and restoring the app, kept the app on Monitor #2. Yea. :)

Onto tagging the newly added songs.

MPG
TIA
MPG
djdd

Post by djdd »

When doing a scan, I couldn't see a bar to show progress so I didn't know if it was operating or not. The only clue was the app icon on the taskbar had a scrolling green line.
While MM is scanning, you see the rotating Icon in the upper left Corner, clicking on that Icon, shows the progress bar.

Dieter
MPG

Post by MPG »

Thanks Dieter. While not the most intuitive, i guess it's functional.
TIA
MPG
MPG

Post by MPG »

I just realized that the removal of tracks doesn't automatically select them all. When I did it the first time, I just clicked remove and didn't select all. Another lesson learned. Fun times. :)
TIA
MPG
MPG

Post by MPG »

Editing properties for multiple files
- Unable to remove artwork by pressing the delete key.
- clicking add doesn't automatically navigate to the current albums folder. Remembers folder last used.
- When Auto-Tagging (Ctrl-Q), need ability to display Track# as a column.
- When updating multiple files, I am prompted to confirm that I'm sure. Need ability to turn that off.

- Needed to make a change to the sort order of my new auto playlist. Don't see a way to save it. I can cancel, play, or pin it.
- Unable to hide the criteria after making a change.
- There's a lot of wasted real estate at the top of an auto playlist. any options to have the header removed or shrunk down?
- is there any way to set the default view on playlists. I prefer the list view over the simplified list.

That's enough for today. Will try to play again tomorrow.

MPG
TIA
MPG
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
MPG wrote:- Unable to remove artwork by pressing the delete key.
Added http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=14133
MPG wrote:- clicking add doesn't automatically navigate to the current albums folder. Remembers folder last used.
That is by design eg. like when you have Picture Download folder where all manual album arts are downloaded. Also MMW detects pictures in folder automatically on scan
MPG wrote:- When Auto-Tagging (Ctrl-Q), need ability to display Track# as a column.
added as http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=14135
MPG wrote:- When updating multiple files, I am prompted to confirm that I'm sure. Need ability to turn that off.
added as http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=14136
MPG wrote:- Needed to make a change to the sort order of my new auto playlist. Don't see a way to save it. I can cancel, play, or pin it.
Auto-Playlists Edit changes are realtime and permanent unless you click on "X". Anyway I added for revision in http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=14137
MPG wrote:- Unable to hide the criteria after making a change.
Can you elaborate what you assume by hide, as moving to other node and return back collapses edit? But it should also be most likely covered with http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=14137
MPG wrote:- There's a lot of wasted real estate at the top of an auto playlist. any options to have the header removed or shrunk down?
Main Problem is playlist Album Art that take height added to http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=14137 for revision
MPG wrote:- is there any way to set the default view on playlists. I prefer the list view over the simplified list.
Added to http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=14137

Thank you for extensive report.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
MPG

Post by MPG »

Hi Peke,
regarding:
- clicking add doesn't automatically navigate to the current albums folder. Remembers folder last used.
That is by design eg. like when you have Picture Download folder where all manual album arts are downloaded. Also MMW detects pictures in folder automatically on scan
I store all of my album art within the file, and remove all pics files. Far less clutter and opportunities for things to go wrong.

In MM4, when you click add, it defaults to the current folder that the music files reside in. This is extremely beneficial when you are processing (ID3 tagging, adding album art, spellchecks, case checks, and organize) many folders, one after another. It saves having to figure out which folder you are currently in.

I get that there are users that use album art as external files. Maybe offer a setting where you can either specify an album art folder or use the current? I'll be honest, this could be a reason not to upgrade for me, as it would take me twice as long to just add album art. It would be very frustrating.

I've gotta get someone to explain to me why they want all of the album art external to the music file. To me, it would be a big hassle when you're wanting to move/copy music outside of MMW.

Thanks for your continued improvements!
MPG
TIA
MPG
Peke

Post by Peke »

Re Manual Album art add: I see the point, Added as http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=14144
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

I agree with MPG .. adding artwork should default to the media folder.
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

DTSig