Fresh MM5 install: won't start (see error)

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

zarb0z

Fresh MM5 install: won't start (see error)

Post by zarb0z »

I've posted previously about trouble I've had with MM4 and an existing iTunes directory structure that plays just fine, both on this hardware with iTunes and also a Mac with this HDD installed in it.

Now I've decided to try MM5 to see if it's a more promising base to begin tweaking. This is what comes up after installation, during the very first attempt to run MM5:

Note that it is hung at exactly 64000 files imported from the MM4 library, and the other numbers aren't far off round either.

Task Manager shows two instances of the program running, with the CPU load at 9%:

Program won't close, must force-quit.

On restart, it looks like it's starting a TON of PowerShell scripts?

BUT...

I think it's better. At least, operationally. So far, I've played 6 songs without any indication of the problems I had with MM4.

So, what started out as a bug report may end up being a sign of massive improvement. It's slow to redraw when you change columns or change sort order, but the actual PLAYING of tracks seems to be better with MM5 than MM4. I base this only on the inability for my full library in MM4 to play more than 2 songs in a row.

I'm seeing some other stuff that may not be MM5 related (100+ instances of conhost.exe, for example), so I'll do a reboot, virus scan, run process explorer, then start MM5 again and see where it takes me. Overall, this is already a huge improvement.

So maybe this'll shut me up for a while.
PetrCBR

Re: Fresh MM5 install: won't start (see error)

Post by PetrCBR »

Based on the log it looks app is somehow frozen (maybe because of database import?) ... can you send me your MM4 database (petr att mediamonkey dott com).
How to make a debuglog - step 4b: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86643
zarb0z

Post by zarb0z »

PetrCBR wrote:Based on the log it looks app is somehow frozen (maybe because of database import?) ... can you send me your MM4 database (petr att mediamonkey dott com).
I'd be happy to, thanks. Where is the database?

Also, surely unrelated, but the MM website often shows a blank page in Firefox, requiring a refresh. Crafting this reply took 3 refreshes.

Graphics card is a GTX 1070, as if that matters.
PetrCBR

Post by PetrCBR »

Your MM4 database should by in 'c:\users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\MediaMonkey' folder.
zarb0z

Post by zarb0z »

PetrCBR wrote:Your MM4 database should by in 'c:\users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\MediaMonkey' folder.
PM sent with link to DB. Thanks in advance.
zarb0z

Post by zarb0z »

Spoke too soon. First off, there is something really bad going on with the MM website. Most of the time, in Firefox, I get a blank white page and have to reload several time. Sometimes, I'm lucky enough (in Chrome) to get this error:

But anyway, back to the issue with MM5. I've left it on all day, though not playing. Came home, tried to play a couple songs, and some wouldn't play. Tried a lower-bitrate song, nothing. Hit Play; nothing. Checked perfmon, MM is at 34% CPU and over 1GB of RAM consumed, without playing a note. App won't close (white screen).

Before I finally hit End Task, got this poopup from MM:

PetrCBR

Post by PetrCBR »

Can you make me a debuglog (for details see here) of the crash ? In your last bug report i see there are many queued tasks (it shouldn't happen).
zarb0z

Post by zarb0z »

OK, I realize it's been several months, but I wanted to at least wrap up my findings in case someone from the future has this trouble.

Conclusion: MM5 won't work for me, and likely won't. MM6 maybe?

How I got there:

First off, earlier this year, I was using an E5-26xxV4 CPU, and I was unaware that not all v4 Xeons are the same. Turns out, the CPU I had was preventing my memory from running at full speed and had no hyperthreading. I needed time to save up for a better/faster CPU that unlocked my RAM's max speed and ran at a faster clock speed and more cores than I had. My feeling was these two major hardware symptoms might fix the software symptom. At least I wouldn't get told to change the CPU.

So I changed the CPU...and nothing changed. Behaviour was the exact same. I did some screencaps, ran stopwatch on screen to show what I was dealing with...and it's just not worth it. Between the crash errors of javascript blah blah (documented in this thread) and the lack of functionality (or a complete whitescreen), it's just time to abandon MM5 and focus on MM4.

For my final test in August 2017, I moved the program to my M.2 boot drive, created a new library from scratch, the library was on a 4-disk RAID-5 array and performance did not improve. I then used the original 3TB SATA disk with the original Mac copy of the library, put that on disk2, repeated the above steps, and performance did not improve. Still got the same errors in this thread.

MM4 is not a whole lot better, but it's better. I can ALMOST play 3 songs in a row, so I'll go back and maybe start a new thread now that I have my hardware issues sorted out.
PetrCBR

Post by PetrCBR »

Hi.
So to be clear .. you tried to install latest MM5 version (into new folder), without DB imported from MM4 and after start it crashed to white screen ?
zarb0z

Post by zarb0z »

No, I'll be honest: since the MM5 version is the same as the version I had, I didn't install a "new" copy for my tests. My decision was based on the problems I had with Version 4, and I saw no reason to try to make V.5 work when even V.4 was not working to my satisfaction.

And, since we're updating: I've decided to downgrade the iMac to Snow Leopard and put the iTunes library back there so I can at least buy/import/convert/listen to music the way I'm accustomed. The good news is that there's a copy of about 133k songs on my Windoze box so we can test like crazy and not disturb anything and I won't be under such immense pressure to get it working just to restore my quality of life.

Petr, if you have other questions, I'm happy to answer them, but it's my opinion that problems with MM5 are just exacerbations of problems I have with MM4. If you'd like to stick with MM5, I am happy to keep it and keep working through it, but otherwise I intend to just close this thread and concentrate on getting MM4 to work correctly.

SIDE-THOUGHT: Is there any possibility MM is slowing down because of all the metadata iTunes uses? I mean, there are DOZENS of genres, and all manner of other metadata that can be personalized. Worth a thought? I mean, 1% slower per track, times 133,000 tracks...?

FINAL-THOUGHT: would it be worth the effort to screen-cap these sessions with Stopwatch running aside MM and narration to show when what button was clicked? Then you could at least see the same behaviour I'm seeing.
jiri

Post by jiri »

fyi, while we still fix bugs and add some minor improvements in MM4, it's MM5 that's being continuously and fully developed, so it's better to try to track your problems there.

And yes, a video might better explain what's going on.

Thanks,
Jiri