Chromecasting issues

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

narxistdan

Chromecasting issues

Post by narxistdan »

Chromecasting works with Windows Firewall disabled but not with it enabled.

I've created firewall rules to allow every executable in the Mediamonkey folder through. I've also tried creating rules based on suggestions here: https://blog.g3rt.nl/allow-google-chrom ... ables.html

Any suggestions?

Also, I'm having some glitches even with the firewall disabled. It works great when just casting to a single device. But when I try to do multizone and play on the chromcast device and the internal player at the same time it's unpredictable. Sometimes it will only play on the chromecast device, sometimes it will play on both with the timing out of sync by 100-200 ms, and sometimes it will play with the timing in sync. When it does play in sync, it typically falls out after completing a track and going to the next one. It would be great if it was possible to count on a consistent timing offset and be able to dial in a manual delay for each device.

This is with Windows 8.1 and the most recent build.

Thanks.
Ludek

Re: Chromecasting issues

Post by Ludek »

Hi,

As for the firewall issues:
I did not need to set any special rules, tested the default firewall settings on 'Windows 7' and 'Windows 10' -- home LAN.

But generally:
For the Chromecast/UPnP discovery: UDP port 1900 for the multicast IP 239.255.255.250 needs to be opened
For the MM5 communication with discovered Chromecast device: TCP ports 8008 and 8009 need to be opened

------------------------------------------------------------------
As for the multizone issues, the current sync process workflow is:
- mute all players in multizone
- wait until playback is started/buffered on all players
- seek to zero position to synchronize the players
- enable the sound to hear it all on the players

But I found that the MUTE command to Chromecast devices currently fails (it is a regression)
=> Fixed in 2162 ( item 2 in https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=15428 )
narxistdan

Post by narxistdan »

I'm not having any luck. Can you look at the settings for the rules I made and confirm I've covered the ports you're describing correctly:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
narxistdan

Post by narxistdan »

Thanks Ludek. Still not working but another comment with a link to pictures of my firewall settings is pending.

Some additional data points:
- It will cause the sound effect on the Chromecast Audio to "ding," indicating that it's connected, even though it ultimately doesn't play and gives an error message saying that the device is offline.
- It will sometimes play after a long (30 seconds to a minute) pause. Sometimes it will even play after giving an error message that the device is offline.
- When it does this and I then try to play another song it will sometimes go back to not working and sometimes it will start the first song over (not the one I have tried to play).
- Casting is working using Chrome browser but not the Spotify Application or VLC.
narxistdan

Post by narxistdan »

Any other thoughts?
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Hi,
the multizone issues will be improved in the upcoming build, details in https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view ... 428#c52711

Re the firewall: The pictures does not look like pictures from the default Windows firewall?
I suppose that with the firewall enabled also casting from other apps on the same PC also fails? Or it is just the MM issue?
narxistdan

Post by narxistdan »

It's a third party app to configure the windows firewall, but it's just the windows firewall.

Chrome browser casting works fine, but VLC and Spotify have similar issues to MediaMonkey.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
What app you are using to Advanced control Win Firewall?

I personally using https://www.binisoft.org/wfc.php which was the closest one to old ZoneAlarm Firewall.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
narxistdan

Post by narxistdan »

That's what I'm using too. Any ideas about what I'm doing wrong to prevent MM from successfully casting?
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi, I only have two rules for MMW.

Copy paste this code into "MMW policy.wpw"

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<!--Source='Windows Firewall Control', Type='Firewall Rules', Date='5.3.2019. 04.04.17'-->
<Rules>
  <Rule Name="MediaMonkey (mediamonkey.exe)" Group="Windows Firewall Control" Program="C:\mediamonkey\mediamonkey.exe" Description="Outbound rule to allow MediaMonkey (mediamonkey.exe)" Location="2147483647" Enabled="Yes" Action="Allow" Direction="Out" LocalAddresses="" LocalPorts="" RemoteAddresses="" RemotePorts="" Protocol="256" ServiceName="" EdgeTraversal="" Icmp="" InterfaceTypes="All" ApplicationPackage="" AuthorizedComputers="" AuthorizedUsers="" LocalUserOwner="" SecureFlags="0" />
  <Rule Name="MediaMonkey (mediamonkey.exe)" Group="Windows Firewall Control" Program="C:\mediamonkey\mediamonkey.exe" Description="Outbound rule to allow MediaMonkey (mediamonkey.exe)" Location="2147483647" Enabled="Yes" Action="Allow" Direction="In" LocalAddresses="" LocalPorts="" RemoteAddresses="" RemotePorts="" Protocol="256" ServiceName="" EdgeTraversal="-1" Icmp="" InterfaceTypes="All" ApplicationPackage="" AuthorizedComputers="" AuthorizedUsers="" LocalUserOwner="" SecureFlags="0" />
</Rules>
Best regards,
Peke
narxistdan

Post by narxistdan »

Peke wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:06 pm Hi, I only have two rules for MMW.

Copy paste this code into "MMW policy.wpw"

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<!--Source='Windows Firewall Control', Type='Firewall Rules', Date='5.3.2019. 04.04.17'-->
<Rules>
  <Rule Name="MediaMonkey (mediamonkey.exe)" Group="Windows Firewall Control" Program="C:\mediamonkey\mediamonkey.exe" Description="Outbound rule to allow MediaMonkey (mediamonkey.exe)" Location="2147483647" Enabled="Yes" Action="Allow" Direction="Out" LocalAddresses="" LocalPorts="" RemoteAddresses="" RemotePorts="" Protocol="256" ServiceName="" EdgeTraversal="" Icmp="" InterfaceTypes="All" ApplicationPackage="" AuthorizedComputers="" AuthorizedUsers="" LocalUserOwner="" SecureFlags="0" />
  <Rule Name="MediaMonkey (mediamonkey.exe)" Group="Windows Firewall Control" Program="C:\mediamonkey\mediamonkey.exe" Description="Outbound rule to allow MediaMonkey (mediamonkey.exe)" Location="2147483647" Enabled="Yes" Action="Allow" Direction="In" LocalAddresses="" LocalPorts="" RemoteAddresses="" RemotePorts="" Protocol="256" ServiceName="" EdgeTraversal="-1" Icmp="" InterfaceTypes="All" ApplicationPackage="" AuthorizedComputers="" AuthorizedUsers="" LocalUserOwner="" SecureFlags="0" />
</Rules>
Thanks. I already have rules in like these in place allowing MediaMonkey through the firewall, and they work for allowing MM5 to do things like access the web and sync with Google Play Music. But Chromecast doesn't work unless I disable the firewall. Any ideas?
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
No unfortunately, I had this issue few years ago, Check rules if any blocks Multicast IPs or Ports. Try backup rules and then reset to WFC desaults.
Best regards,
Peke
narxistdan

Post by narxistdan »

Well... I figured it out. It was set to block all inbound connections even if there was a rule allowing them to a particular place. D'oh. Working now.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Makes sense that if block rule is hit prior to allow rule.
Best regards,
Peke