No undo function in MM5 [#15531]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

Snofru

No undo function in MM5 [#15531]

Post by Snofru »

I am quite disappointed that there is still no undo function in MM5. This is quite standard in nearly any modern software and could really bring MediaMonkey to a new level.

is there anything planned for the future?
MMW Version 5.1.0.2827 Portable
Samsung Galaxy S23+, S9 and Sony NW-A105 with MMA Beta 2.0.0.1156
Ludek

Re: No undo function in MM5

Post by Ludek »

Hi, there is 'Now Playing' undo and navigation undo (like in MM4).

Which kind of undo are you referring?
Snofru

Post by Snofru »

When creating or changing playlists, changing tags and artwork, volume levelling, renaming or even deleting files I´d love to see an undo-function.

In general anything I do to organize my music collection.

One simple example: When I select a song I sometimes accidently click on the rating stars (this is much better in MM5 as ratings aren´t changed with the 1st touch like in MM4). Now I want to go back to the original rating, but well I don´t know what it was. Just clicking "undo" would do the trick.
Snofru

Post by Snofru »

It happens so often that I accidentally delete the wrong song from a playlist or I am unhappy with some changes to tags that I did. Just clicking on an undo button would save me a lot of time.

While I fear that it is already too late now for MM5 I anyway would like to see this as a feature request. Maybe it is not only me...
AlanH

Post by AlanH »

+1 for an undo feature, This is something I would like to see as well.
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

+1 here too
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Hi,
we are not planning a general undo for all, but we might enhance our current Undo in toast messages after some actions.

e.g. currently if you rate a song that is not in library then there is a toast message shown ('Track was added to library' [Undo]), see:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xeaky2o6f4vtx ... 5.png?dl=0

We could enhance this functionality and show the toast messages also:
- when a library tack is rated (to undo the rating)
- when a track is deleted from playlist and confirmation dialog is disabled

What do you think?

EDIT: Added as https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=15531
Snofru

Post by Snofru »

That at least would be an improvement!
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Ludek wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:32 am we are not planning a general undo for all, but we might enhance our current Undo in toast messages after some actions.
[snip]
What do you think?
It suppose that it would be OK have an undo after some of the manual update functions, like track rating etc. ... But I think that an undo after some whole database batch functions would be even more attractive.

Examples:
  • sync GPM library to MM ... maybe I didn't understand that your default setting will overwrite all my track metadata with whatever tags Google have on their tracks
  • or sync GPM library to MM, including "new" tracks, and I didn't realise how much crap was in my GPM library, and now my MM database is polluted with many things that I didn't expect, and that I don't want, and have trouble identifying them amongst all my own tracks
  • or I experimented with something, and now wish I had not done that thing; like auto-tag, or track levelling
Could you take a db snapshot prior to these batch functions, and offer a whole-db undo function?
I suppose that it could get confusing if the person had done a batch function which also modified the actual tracks in way that is impractical to restore.
But the menu for the batch functions, which you could undo, could be marked as being undo-able?
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
MPG

CTRL-Z

Post by MPG »

Hi,
I just had something happen that made me realize, MM5 needs an undo or CTRL-Z feature.
So I'm updating the date field on a bunch of my songs and I mistakenly updated the wrong songs. These songs are from the 20's and 30's so finding release dates can be difficult. Anyway, I immediately realized my mistake after hitting enter and thought hmmmm, maybe CTRL-Z can undo the change. Guess what....no such luck so I thought...that is a feature MM5 needs to have.

Anyone else on board?
TIA
MPG
Triumph - Hold On: Music holds the secret, to know it can make you whole.