Edition of Properties before ripping CD [#15680]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

gamb2009

Edition of Properties before ripping CD [#15680]

Post by gamb2009 »

There is a MM4 missing feature in MM5 when you rip a CD: the edition of Properties of the tracks before the track files are created.

I mean, when you insert a CD in your PC and MM5 searches freedB and gathers succesfully the basic information, there is always the opportunity to select all tracks, right-click over them to select "Properties" from the pop-up menu, and fill in all extra information (common to all the selected tracks) like "Genre", "Composer", etc., or even, make any required corrections to the freedB gathered data.

Then, you can start your rip. But then, you find that all that editing is completely missed and did not arrive to the newly created track files. I am talkin about flac files, that certainly can hold the data in its tags. Is MM5 that does the ripping with just the freedB data, exclusively.

This feature, to edit Properties before ripping, was available before, in MM4.

It would be very nice to have it back.

Thanks!
gamb2009
gamb2009

Re: Edition of Properties before ripping CD

Post by gamb2009 »

Please, take a look to this subject.
gamb2009
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Can you please confirm that same thing Happen If you scan CD into MM5 Library, then edit properties and only then you do a RIP?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

I haven't tested myself yet, but added to my TODO list as https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=15680 and going to look into it shortly.
gamb2009

Post by gamb2009 »

Peke wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 9:10 pm Hi,
Can you please confirm that same thing Happen If you scan CD into MM5 Library, then edit properties and only then you do a RIP?
Yes, Peke. That is excatly the issue. After MM5 has scanned the CD and you edit the properties, and then you do the Rip, the only property that is registered in the newly created track files is "Genre". For instance, if in the editing process (before the rip starts) you add "Composer", "Artist", "Director", etc., these fields become empty after the ripping.
gamb2009
gamb2009

Re: Edition of Properties before ripping CD [#15680]

Post by gamb2009 »

Please, don't forget this issue.
gamb2009
gamb2009

Post by gamb2009 »

Happy to see some improvement on this subject with compilation 5.0.0.2185. More properties can be edited before ripping. But, still, most of them are not transfered to the created files such as: Publisher, Involved people, Original date, etc.

It would be of great use to have the chance of editing properties before ripping, because you can manage better the location, data and general administration of the newly created files in your collection.
gamb2009
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
I just tested and all Metadata was preserved in destination RIP.

Here are teh steps I tried:
1. Insert CD in Drive
2. Add Rescan files to Library
3. Ejected CD
4. Edited Info even added album art
5. Inserted CD
6. It got recognized and I proceed with RIP (FLAC in my case)
7. Checked Flac Files in other apps (just in case) and all Metadata were in file tags.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
gamb2009

Post by gamb2009 »

Sorry to say, Peke, but I still cannot achive the same results. Maybe the problem is the steps I follow (the same since MM 3):

1) Insert CD
2) Get some tags from freedb
3) Select the files in the track list and edit properties adding most of what I need (ie. Composer, Date, Original Date, Involved People, Artists, Publisher, and some times, Genre)
4) Do the ripping
5) Eject the CD
6) When inspecting the created "flac" files the following fields are not included:
Composer
Original date
Publisher,
Involved people,
othe Custom fields.

It is interesting to see, and I will try, that you "add scaned files to the library", then "eject the CD" (step 2, 3 & 4) before editing Properties, and then you insert the CD again and do the ripping (step 5 & 6). I have never done things in that order. It seems to me that you are first adding to the library the .cda files and then you are doing a "Convert Format" function? In my case, I use the "Rip Audio CD" function.

Many thanks
gamb2009
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

I see, when the CD isn't in library then it stores just the basic metadata like title/album/artist/genre into the CDPlayer.ini file.
To be fixed as https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=15680

Workaround is (as Peke suggested) to add the files into the library before ripping (to keep all the metadata).

EDIT: Note that in MM4 also the custom fields were preserved when the tracks were edited immediately before ripping (because the same memory instances of the tracks were used for ripping).
To be fixed in MM5 (at least to to the same level as in MM4).
gamb2009

Post by gamb2009 »

To be fixed in MM5 (at least to to the same level as in MM4).
Please, gents: don't forget this feature.
gamb2009
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Hi,
this has been already fixed in 2186 to the same level as in MM4, see: https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=15680

Are you still seeing the issue with the newest build?
gamb2009

Post by gamb2009 »

Yes, I am sorry to say, but the same issue is happening with the last and previous releases. Still the functionality is not the same that with MM4, as some, say, criticall properties get lost when editing before ripping. The most important one that is missing is "Composer", because with Classical Music, for instance, it determines where in the DB the tracks will end. Of course, everything can be solved later, but this chance of editing previously the Properties, helps a lot when some other issues creates lost tracks.
gamb2009
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

It works for me to preserve all the values edited before ripping (tested the newest beta build 2194).

1) inserted the CD, focused the node and edited the composer of track "Caramel Prisoner" to "my composer" :
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wih4u1hnpis3i ... 0.png?dl=0
2) right-clicked the CD node in the tree and selected "Rip audio CD" like this:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3d04kn9h03u2j ... 6.png?dl=0
3) In the "Convert files" dialog I right-licked the track again and selected "Properties" to ensure that the "my composer" value is still there:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2vivlnl5hiqao ... 4.png?dl=0
and it is ;-)
4) clicked [Cancel] on Properties and [OK] to rip the tracks
5) verified that the ripped track has the "my composer" value in the composer field:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/l14scre01yvhr ... 0.png?dl=0

So I am not seeing the issue, but maybe you are doing something differently? Could you follow my steps above and tell me in which step the "my composer" value gets lost?
gamb2009

Post by gamb2009 »

Ludek:
I have followed exactly the same steps. But the results are different, as follows:

First of all, I tried two tracks.
Step 1: The same results as yours, i.e. the property Composer is "registered" to both tracks.
Step 2: OK, pop-ups the window "Convert files". This time, for my first time, I did excatly what you did: picked it right-clicking in the CD node.
Step 3: Select Properties over the tracks, and Composer data was there.

Then I tried what is for me the ussual way, and failed:
Step 1: The same
Step 2: I picked "Rip Audio CD" from the Tools menu.
Step 3: Select properties over the two tracks I want to Rip in Convert Files window, ... and Composer data was NOT there.
Step 4: I went back to the original list of tracks of the CD, and Composer was still there for the two tracks.
Step 5: Went back again to Convert Files, picking Rip Audio CD again from Tools menu, and selected just one of the two tracks and entered "Composer" name for that track only.
Step 6: Did the ripping.

The result is that only the track edited in Step 5 arrives to the DB with the Composer tag filled.

So, it is something with the Tools/Rip Audio CD path for the same function.

Hope this will help.
gamb2009