Portable Installation file association

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

Blackcat12

Portable Installation file association

Post by Blackcat12 »

I have both MM4 and MM5 installed in portable mode. I would like to change the file associations from version 4 to version 5 for the default music app. I have tried going through the standard Windows 10 menu to set the default app for Music, but it only shows MM4 in the list and the only other option is the Windows store.. I am not given an option to browse my system to navigate to the MM5 app.

Is there a way to do this in MM5?
PetrCBR

Re: Portable Installation file association

Post by PetrCBR »

You need to install MM5 as non-portable.
How to make a debuglog - step 4b: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86643
Graves

Post by Graves »

From shell (cmd.exe) or "Run" dialogue (Win start key + [R]) execute:
control /name Microsoft.DefaultPrograms
Blackcat12

Post by Blackcat12 »

Thanks for the input. Unfortunately, I have already tried setting default program through the menu. I did try your suggested CMD method just in case that was a way to get to one of the hidden menus in Windows, but it is the same. The only option available to set default apps is to select from the existing displayed options or check in the Windows app store. I don't get an option to navigate /browse the PC to select a different program.

I can understand from Petr response about setting a portable app as a default is not supported by Windows. What I don't understand is how I got MM4 to show up as an option in the first place, as that is a portable installation as well and has been for several years.
Last edited by Blackcat12 on Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Blackcat12

Post by Blackcat12 »

PetrCBR wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:07 pm You need to install MM5 as non-portable.
Thanks for the reply Petr. It wasn't the answer I was hoping for :wink: , but I understand.
Graves

Post by Graves »

Damn u r right - must've been changed by MS lately...

Another option u have:
Right click a file of certain type like, let's say, .mp3, click on "Open with" - "Choose other app" - again, "more apps", scroll down to the bottom and click on "browse PC" or so (my OS is in german, so i'm not perfectly sure about the english wordings here).
Don't forget to check "Always use this app" !

Do so with one file per extension you want MMV to handle - done.
Graves

Post by Graves »

Also u can edit default file handlers directly in registry editor:
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts
Use on own risk ;)