Memory read error on Windows shutdown or restart [#16234]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

pbryanw

Memory read error on Windows shutdown or restart [#16234]

Post by pbryanw »

Hi,

I'm running MM 5.0.0.2191 on Windows 10 1903 x64.

If MediaMonkey is open & running when I shutdown or restart Windows, I get the error below when this happens:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!ArFVkgMSc1NUiv8Z30kb3AgHYRRdHA

Any help is gladly appreciated.

Thanks, Paul.
MiPi

Re: 2191 - Memory read error on Windows shutdown or restart

Post by MiPi »

Reproduced, thanks, we will look at it.
pbryanw

Post by pbryanw »

@MiPi - Thanks, that's great to hear! Thanks for your help with this.
pbryanw

Post by pbryanw »

Hi, I wonder if there's an open bug report for this issue, that I would be able to follow?

Unfortunately, it's still present in MM5.0.0.2219 and it's slightly annoying, because I have to remember to exit MediaMonkey every time I shutdown or restart Windows - otherwise I get this pop-up.

Thanks again, Paul
BMF

Post by BMF »

Same here. It is really annoying. Especially when you are late leaving the house ;-). By the way the current release 2219 seems to have more problems on my system. Even the white screen was back (Barry told about it too).

But this is not the day for complaining :-). I wish all the diligent developers and the curious forum users a happy and a good year 2020. Keep on monkeying.

bmf
nothing but a bmf ....
--------------------------
Windows 10 Professional (64 Bit); MM 5 (lifetime licence);
iPod Classic, Sonos
pbryanw

Post by pbryanw »

BMF wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:12 am But this is not the day for complaining :-). I wish all the diligent developers and the curious forum users a happy and a good year 2020. Keep on monkeying.
Well said BMF :) Happy New Year to everyone, and thanks to all the forum users & developers for the incredible work on MediaMonkey 5 last year. I'm really hoping I'll get to use the finished version in 2020 :D
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Thank you all the followers! We are also wishing you all a great New Year (and feedback :-) ) in 2020!

And we are also hoping to finally finish and release MM 5.0 in 2020 ;-)

As for the original issue reported here:
I cannot replicate and I think that MiPi has already fixed it some time ago -- so it must re-occur?

Could you give us more info? Especially:
- does it always appear or it is related to an action that is being performed in MM5 (e.g. playback or a background thread) ?
- could you re-attach the screengrab - as the OneDrive link is no longer valid
- could you set up DbgView to log to a file before the shutdown so that we could see at least debug log ?
pbryanw

Post by pbryanw »

@Ludek - Thanks again for your help with this. It's much appreciated.
Ludek wrote:- does it always appear or it is related to an action that is being performed in MM5 (e.g. playback or a background thread) ?
It seems to make no difference whether an action is being performed or not - like MM5 playing a file, or a background thread running. The error nearly always gets triggered for me when MM5 is open, and then I either restart or shutdown the computer.
Ludek wrote:- could you re-attach the screengrab - as the OneDrive link is no longer valid
I've uploaded a new screenshot to my OneDrive space. This was taken after the pop-up had appeared, and the Window's close app dialog had just got triggered: https://1drv.ms/u/s!ArFVkgMSc1NUjPlSMXExdK2uDr3frA
Ludek wrote:- could you set up DbgView to log to a file before the shutdown so that we could see at least debug log ?
I'm having a bit of trouble with this, unfortunately. I open MM5, open DbgView, trigger Windows restart, the pop-up appears on the shutdown screen, and then I cancel the shutdown. However, once I'm back in Windows, DbgView has also got shut down.

Is there a way to keep DbgView open once I cancel the shutdown, or is there another way of doing this?

Thanks, Paul
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
I would suggest that you tell DBGview to LOG to File directly (File -> Log To file as) as that way log file will contain everything before DBGView was closed.

I only hope it ill close after MMW throw error.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
PetrCBR

Post by PetrCBR »

Tracked as 16234.
How to make a debuglog - step 4b: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86643
pbryanw

Post by pbryanw »

Peke wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:03 pm Hi,
I would suggest that you tell DBGview to LOG to File directly (File -> Log To file as) as that way log file will contain everything before DBGView was closed.

I only hope it ill close after MMW throw error.
@Peke - Hi, thanks for your guidance with this. Unfortunately, after enabling "File -> Log to file as" in DbgView, nothing further was captured by DbgView from MM5, after my PC was restarted, and the bug got triggered. I just hope the screenshot and description, will be enough for you to go on for this.

Many thanks as well, for opening a bug report for this - I will continue to track on there.