GPM download scrambles up tags [#15133]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

Barry4679

GPM download scrambles up tags [#15133]

Post by Barry4679 »

The queue seems more robust than the previous versions, but a serious reversion has returned (again).

You are not recognising the tags properly any more. ... a few tags are seen, but often on a partial tag ... the problem comes from here

Downloads are not going to the expected locations, ... some the tracks go to an Unknown\<Album> directory ... and a lot are splattered everywhere in the folders like <part of track name>\<album>

The .mp3 files have no tags (as illustrated above). The [urlhttps://www.dropbox.com/s/y8gna4yk6aow6xv/tags% ... s.png?dl=0]MM tags are scrambled, or blank[/url].
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Ludek

Re: 2197 - GPM download scrambles up tags

Post by Ludek »

Hi Barry,
I don't see how I could introduce this.

But watching the code the bug can happen for track(s) that has unknown artist and unknown album in the GPM's original list.
Can you confirm that it happens for such a tracks (and does not happen for tracks with known album/artist) ?
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

It happened for every track. ... I loaded the queue up to test with you had fixed the robustness problem ... all tracks were affected.

It happened after this happened. I had to abend MM5, and then restarted it. ... It looked OK.
After I restarted MM5, I redid the scan of my track locations. It ran quickly, and ended normally that time. I then sync'd with MM5, and tested GPM download facility.

The other thing that may be involved was I did this option setting from MM5's 1st time through wizard ... I am fairly sure that it looked OK when I saved the setting (ie. the "sample" looked normal at that time), but when I checked it after I noticed the GPM d/l problem, it looked screwy like you see in the image.

Doesn't that image indicate that you have a problem with tag mask parsing logic?
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Hi again Barry,
I've been unable to replicate the issue (and I haven't found a problem using code revision) so far.

Nevertheless I added more debug messages to see what is going on,
please locate and replace your current MediamonkeyEngine.exe file (from build 2197) by this one: https://www.dropbox.com/s/m9q0nwcwk6uh9 ... e.exe?dl=0
ad generate debug log for me (start DbgView prior MM5 start and downloading), after the downloading save the log and send me.

Thanks!
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

• I closed MM5
  • replaced the file that you sent me
  • restart MM5, and navigate to D&S>GPM>AllTracks ... wait while my GPM library is scanned
  • Download an album
  • I watched the Downloads node ... you are seeing the tags OK ... the Title, Album, and Artist rows are correctly populated with tags in the queue
  • I looked at the download location ... the tracks have no tags ... the folder is not <album artist><album> ... everything is in Unknown/Album ... tracks have correct names, but there are no tags ... last time it was more of a mess ... I didn't stress the queue too much this time ... just downloaded less than a dozen tracks
  • this time I don't see any partial tags ... just missing tags
  • the wheel is still spinning, but the queue is empty, and MM is not doing anything
I sent a link to the debug log by PM
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Barry, thanks for the log.

Finally I understand what the issue is, I couldn't replicate because I had different GPM settings.
The key factor to replicate is to check:
[x] Only include content that matches files already in the database
-- with this option checked MM5 silently fails to add the tracks into library at first (before downloading) -- which results in the described issues.

Will be fixed as item 25 here https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view ... 133#c54521

EDIT: Workaround is to uncheck the mentioned checkbox or add the tracks to the library at first (right-click > Add to library)
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Ludek wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:45 am Finally I understand what the issue is, I couldn't replicate because I had different GPM settings.
The key factor to replicate is to check:
[x] Only include content that matches files already in the database
-- with this option checked MM5 silently fails to add the tracks into library at first (before downloading) -- which results in the described issues.
Good, but can you confirm that you understand what is going on here. You haven't commented about this.

(A) is what I saw when I made the configuration change from the options button in your 1st time through wizard
(B) is what I see after rebooting MM after the freeze relating to the debug log I sent you earlier today.

This happens before I configure for GPM, so I haven't seen|changed that setting at this point.

I don't think that I have ever seen that sample screwed up like that before ... doesn't it indicate that something is going wrong when you are parsing the mask for download path structure?
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Good, but can you confirm that you understand what is going on here. You haven't commented about this.
This is just a sample, it takes random sample track from your library and applies the mask on it. If there isn't any then it takes a dummy track with "title", "artist", "album".
So on the (A) it looks that there was a sample track in your library with empty tags.
On the (B) there were no tracks in the library yet, so it has taken the dummy track.

I don't think that I have ever seen that sample screwed up like that before ... doesn't it indicate that something is going wrong when you are parsing the mask for download path structure?
No, the issue was just consequence of the silent failure of adding the tracks into library before downloading, thus it not used the tags from GPM, but guessed the tags subsequently from the filename after downloading (as GPM tracks has no ID3 tags and we must create them after the download)

To verify the fix just replace your current MediaMonkeyEngine.exe by this one: https://www.dropbox.com/s/m9q0nwcwk6uh9 ... e.exe?dl=0
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Ludek wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:46 am So on the (A) it looks that there was a sample track in your library with empty tags.
On the (B) there were no tracks in the library yet, so it has taken the dummy track.
I think that it was the other way around ... ie. (A) was while I was still in the 1st Through Wizard (ie. before i had allowed MM5 to download any tracks) ... and (B) is a hard on condition after the MM5 load up freeze (ie. after I was forced to abend MM5, and I then restarted it ... my MM db is now fully loaded, and the "sample" still looks screwy.

But if you aren't worried about I will drop it .... the replacement exe has resolved the downloaded tags issue ... and MM5 is the most robust that I have seen it while the download queue is working ... and the UI is fully responsive ... so, well done ... looks great :D
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Hi,
thanks for confirmation of the fix re the original issue.

As for the sample track, I'll improve it for the next builds so that it prefers library tracks with known attributes.