Media Servers sub-node of Devices and Services is too busy

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

Barry4679

Media Servers sub-node of Devices and Services is too busy

Post by Barry4679 »

It would be better if I could control visibility of items in the Media Servers sub-node of Devices and Services.

It is already too busy, and I haven't turned my TV on yet. I have Sonos units scattered around the house. I will never cast to those. Also you separately list both the left and and right units of paired Sonos devices.

The Devices sub-node has a Show Less option. Could the Media Servers sub-node have one also? ... Or allow me to toggle visibility off at the device level.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Ludek

Re: Media Servers sub-node of Devices and Services is too busy

Post by Ludek »

Note that it does not list cast devices there, but UPnP/DLNA media servers that are connected, I have three currently:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ghtvz73x14db9 ... 1.png?dl=0

So that's strange that you have so many connected Sono's media server devices on your network??
Can you check whether you see them all also in the other apps (DLNA/UPnP clients)?
Another possibility would be to auto-filter them (in case you confirm that these are "dummy" media servers).

Could you attach a screenshot after clicking the three dots menu on one of the Sonos items and select Properties, it should show info about the device like this:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hagowmdyzqbtb ... 7.png?dl=0

If the info is private for you them feel free to PM me the links to the screenshots.
EDIT: Also the content of the device XML could be useful (available when you put device description URL to the address bar of your internet browser).
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Ludek wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:52 am So that's strange that you have so many connected Sono's media server devices on your network??
Can you check whether you see them all also in the other apps (DLNA/UPnP clients)?
Another possibility would be to auto-filter them (in case you confirm that these are "dummy" media servers).
I have confused you.

Each Sonos "speaker" (ie. like a boom box, ie. has its own built in amp), and each stand-alone Sonos amp (used to drive non_Sonos speakers), and each Sonos stand-alone streamer (used to plug into the aux port of a non_Sonos amp), contains its own computer ... each contains the media db to make comms, between the UI controller and any unit, very responsive and robust ... all units talk to each other on a mesh network ... They are designed to remain powered on the whole time (they don't have on/off buttons).

I have Sonos in 8 rooms, so I would expect to see a lot of media servers ... Sonos can handle up to 32 devices in one household btw
You do list one extra device, because I have two (boombox) speakers paired together in one room... and you list both the left and the right speaker separately.
I also have a Sonos sub in one room, but you don't list that ... which is good ... I guess that it doesn't have its own Media Server.

Sonos also have sound bars .... so a typical Sonos customer will have a house full of Media Servers.

They all are real devices .... it is just that I don't need|want to see them in the MM UI ... I won'r be casting to them using MM ... so they are just clutter.

Other people may cast to some, or all of their Sonos units, using MM ... so they would want those Sonos devices to be visible.

I was asking if I could toggle a device's visibility .... or have collapsible node for Media servers ... which if explicitly is closed, remains closed until explicitly opened.

I have sent you representative xml desc ... I sent you my Left and right paired Sonos speakers ... they are the same Models (each two digital amps, and two speakers, and each with their own computer and networking)

I have other Sonos units ... ie. the stand-alone amps, or the stand-alone streamers. ... also larger boom box, with more drivers and tweeters

I don't have any of their media bars

Each different type will have their own xml description
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

I have just understood what you meant re Media Server vs a device (which I could cast to). duh.

as per last email, a Sonos household has many Media Servers. It is not helpful to have them all visible ... Same thing with Media Servers in my NAS, or my TV, .. ie. any server that I am not playing from using MM, is just clutter ... it would good to be able to control clutter.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Have you tried to create Device Groups? Not sure if it is possible to do that like with Sonos.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Peke wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:04 pm Have you tried to create Device Groups? Not sure if it is possible to do that like with Sonos.
I am not sure what you mean.

Sonos is a bit like Apple ... it is a Walled Garden, and doesn't cooperate with external s/w systems too well.

You play using their s/w. ... They handle grouping of units, including joining them as left|right stereo pairs.

MM5 is not recognising that the units are paired, so it is listing the left and right speakers as separate units.

Not that I care personally ... If I had the option I would make all of my Sonos Media Services invisible in the MM5 UI.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Thanks for the links.

That approach is not relevant to a Sonos customer ... grouping is baked into the Sonos app.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Damn, I tried. I do not own any Sonos device, they sounded too closed up and I like toys that I can play with.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
BenRad

Post by BenRad »

For what it's worth, I wish MM5 could recognize my paired Sonos speakers because I hate the Sonos App.