2206 - requires Gold licence to view the album artist index

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

Barry4679

2206 - requires Gold licence to view the album artist index

Post by Barry4679 »

By default MM5 does not display the Album Artist index ... there is an option to turn it on, but that action requires a Gold licence.

Is this sustainable? ... having the index defaulted on, like Artist, Album, Composer etc would be better. ... It was available in MM4 w/o Gold wasn't it?
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Ludek

Re: 2206 - requires Gold licence to view the album artist index

Post by Ludek »

This is the same as in MM4.

In MM4: By default only the "Artist & Album artist" node is displayed and to display the "Album artist" node you need to edit the Music collection -- which requires gold: https://www.dropbox.com/s/rjqt240c91bu5 ... 9.png?dl=0

In MM5: By default only the "Artists" node is displayed (which corresponds to "Artist & Album artist" node in MM4) and to display the "Album artists" node you need to edit the Music collection -- which requires gold.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Ludek wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:09 am In MM5: By default only the "Artists" node is displayed (which corresponds to "Artist & Album artist" node in MM4) and to display the "Album artists" node you need to edit the Music collection -- which requires gold.
Apologies ... I have been on Gold so long, I didn't know that ... ie. the bit about not being able to use the AlbumArtist node, not the bit about not being able to do Collection Editing .... presumably people could still filter & sort by AlbumArtist, using the Column Browser, so what is the point of hiding the facility, and pissing people off, and making MM look bad to album focused people?

FWIIW that seems a silly and petty and self-harming restriction to me
OTOH I think I saw Peke say somewhere that the web integration facilities are not Gold features ... that also appears a strange decision IMO.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

MM5 gold vs non-gold features will be definetely evaluated soon (before official MM5 release)
rusty

Post by rusty »

In general, we've taken the approach of restricting a few more 'advanced' features to Gold, trying to make the free version really useful, but at the same time retaining some incentives to upgrade.

So with respect to support for customizing collections: perhaps we can enable the Album Artist node by default, but retain customization as a Gold feature.

Re. 'web integration' features: are you referring to auto-tagging? If so, the plan is to limit the batch size of lookups for free users.

-Rusty
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

rusty wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:00 am So with respect to support for customizing collections: perhaps we can enable the Album Artist node by default, but retain customization as a Gold feature.
Yes, this is exactly what I was suggesting.

rusty wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:00 am Re. 'web integration' features: are you referring to auto-tagging?
No, I was thinking of something else.

My main point was to say that removing the AlbumArtist tag, from the standard version, made MM look bad to album-focused listeners, with no real gain.
And there were better options to induce people to upgrade.

I was thinking of the new features which allow people to expand the concept of their "music collection", by also including web locations ... and to tag, housekeep, and control that new part of their "collection" using MM functionality.
  • eg. designing playlists in MM, and export them into a GPM library ... for streaming away from home, using the GPM client ... playlist creation with just the standard GPM client is horrible
  • I haven't tried it yet, but I presume that I can achieve something similar with Dropbox, One Drive, etc
  • housekeeping and retagging a web collection is generally horrible, especially if you are used to the power and flexibility of MM facilities ... there is value in having a integrated tool to handle the whole collection, and to keep everything synchronised