Auto Organize will not allow you to move/copy over existing files [#16505]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

sovamind

Auto Organize will not allow you to move/copy over existing files [#16505]

Post by sovamind »

I'm not sure if this change was made on purpose but the build I have now (5.0.0.2219) but Auto-Organize will no longer allow you to move/copy files if files already exist in the destination with the same name. In the previous version it would give you a warning and show the files highlighted in red, but you still could be allowed to do it. In this version the OK button is grayed out and will not enable until you pick a different location or filename.

This is a huge problem for me because I use the auto-organize to easily clean up duplicates by moving them from one location to another.

Can we please get an option to allow these moves/copies to happen? If you add the highlighting feature back in again, can we please make it so there is a different color for "same filename" and "path is too long"? In the old version it was red for both which made it harder to figure out if the path was too long. I'm actually fine with the "path too long" issue preventing OK from being enabled.
Peke

Re: Auto Organize will not allow you to move/copy over existing files

Post by Peke »

Hi,
you can't overwrite as that would create two DB entries for same physical file, you first need to clear Duplicate titles/content and then do Auto-organize.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
rusty

Post by rusty »

It's true that MM4 allowed you to proceed despite the existence of duplicates/long filenames and eliminated the duplicate database entries. The problem is that user could _inadvertently_ delete content (e.g. TitleX - Artistx one of which is a live version and one of which is a CD version).

The way to accomplish the same thing in MM5 is to either:
a) uncheck the problem files in the dialog
b) play/delete problem files in the dialog
c) use Music > Files to edit > Duplicate titles to remove duplicates

We could, of course, revert to the MM4 behavior and give a much better warning (that users are likely to lose files) but I think that the current approach is satisfactory. Please comment if you disagree.

Thanks!
MK2

Post by MK2 »

hello, it's problematic for me as i need both mp3/m4a/flac/aiff versions of "duplicates"...

i need to bypass duplicates coz it's not same extension.

Hope u fix it in next version, coz i use MM5 professionally for radio & dj-ing purpose.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Hi,
files with different extension are not tracked as duplicates when auto-organizing.

Nevertheless I understand that one might want to auto-resolve the duplicates, tracked as https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=16505