how to select a group of albums in grid view ? [#16259]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

Davo

how to select a group of albums in grid view ? [#16259]

Post by Davo »

At the moment i only seem to be able to select all albums or one at a time.
David

Re: how to select a group of albums in grid view ?

Post by Barry4679 »

The selection hot spot is at the top right corner of the album art

See three things here:
  • if you hover over that top right corner, a selection tab for the album becomes visible
  • a click ,in that selection tab, selects|deselects the album
  • there is a control on the tool bar to select|deselect ALL ... it appears once you have made at least one selection
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Davo

Post by Davo »

I understand that but what if i want to select a group of consecutive albums. I would expect a CTRL function to do this, but that does not work here.
David

Post by Barry4679 »

Davo wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:43 pm I understand that but what if i want to select a group of consecutive albums. I would expect a CTRL function to do this, but that does not work here.
Sorry ... my crystal ball wasn't working ... probably all the smoke from our bush fires :)

Control+click is for hunt and peck selection ... AbcDeF
Shift+click is for consecutive selection ... ABCDEF

Both of these work as expected here ... tested in EntireLibrary>Albums in Grid view
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Davo

Post by Davo »

Shift +Click is not working for me on release 2219
David

Post by Barry4679 »

Davo wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:09 pm Shift +Click is not working for me on release 2219
It works here; also 2219.

You starting your selection with a Shift+Click?

It isn't implemented exactly as Windows File Explorer. ... In Explorer there is an implied initial position (ie. 1st track or 1st file etc) ... so a initial Shift+Click elsewhere, auto selects everything between implied position and where you clicked.

in MM5, in Grid view, you must enter multi-select mode with your 1st click (either a control+click, or a click on top right corner of the thumbnail, after a mouse hover has displayed the selection tag ... And then you Shift+Click at the other end of your selection.

OH, I just fact checked, there is another MM5 quirk, which is probably what you are seeing.

Any click in a selection tag in top right corner, is seen as an "just add me" click ... ie. the shift key is ignored.
Shift clicks work, as expected, if you click elsewhere in the thumbnail icon.

I would say that is a bug.
Davo

Post by Davo »

Thanks Barry. That worked
David

Post by Davo »

I've found another way to make the selection
1. Click the 1st & last selection tag (right hand corner) for the group.
2. Go back to the first album thumbnail & SHIFT+left click in the thumbnail but not in the selection tag.

None of this is very intuitive & as you suggest there is possibly a bug in the selection process.
David

Post by dypsis »

Barry4679 wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:55 pm
Davo wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:43 pm I understand that but what if i want to select a group of consecutive albums. I would expect a CTRL function to do this, but that does not work here.
Sorry ... my crystal ball wasn't working ... probably all the smoke from our bush fires :)
I hope you're not stuck in the Australian bushfires. :o
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

dypsis wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:53 am I hope you're not stuck in the Australian bushfires. :o
Thanks ... is too early to tell.
This is an unusually early start to our Fire Season. Several months still to go.

We are at the top of a ridge, with trees leading to house. But this is a city of 400,000 people, so have better resources than smaller regional areas.
There were fires close to here just before Christmas, but nothing at the moment ... but no rain forecast either :(
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

Davo .. maybe i am working in the wrong space but I can click multiple albums in the upper righthand corner. Then Play Next and they all show up. Is this what you are talking about?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8jbsw40f6parg ... w.jpg?dl=0
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
Davo

Post by Davo »

@dtsig
Not quite, You are selecting each album individually then performing an action on the group selected. This works fine as you say.
I'm referring to the situation where i want to select a group of consecutive albums by selecting only the first & last album then Shift+click to automatically select all the other albums in the group.
David

Post by dypsis »

Barry4679 wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:57 am
dypsis wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:53 am I hope you're not stuck in the Australian bushfires. :o
Thanks ... is too early to tell.
This is an unusually early start to our Fire Season. Several months still to go.

We are at the top of a ridge, with trees leading to house. But this is a city of 400,000 people, so have better resources than smaller regional areas.
There were fires close to here just before Christmas, but nothing at the moment ... but no rain forecast either :(
Stay safe! 👍
MiPi

Post by MiPi »

You are right, this problematic range selection is bug, tracked as: https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=16259