Experience from MM5

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

foxint

Experience from MM5

Post by foxint »

Hi,
Hope I am in the right place for some feedback on MM5.

I have never found a problem with any of the MM versions. I have been using it for many many years.

I played around with MM5 today and made a total mess of it and it ended not playing anything. So I deleted it - that was easier.

My wish is for the look to be the same as 4 and to be able to see "ALL" in the tree and then click on a track and then it can scrolls through the collection. With MM5 it will scroll back to the first track in the album.

I will admit, I probably do not use any or most of the advanced features of MM4 Gold. Not sure why I got the gold. But for just playing flac files it is GREAT.

Perhaps there is a tutorial on the "advanced" features that I have been missing for the last 8 years.

So that is my 2 cents. My apologies if it is in the wrong place.

But the current programme is great. Not too keen on the new one.
Ludek

Re: MMS 0.0.5: Experience from MM5

Post by Ludek »

Hi,
thanks for the feedback, just not understanding what exactly you have tested and what was not working for you?

The first thing that I don't understand is that the title is saying "MMS 0.0.5: Experience from MM5" but you haven't mentioned MMS here, so I don't know how you tested and whether you tested with MMS at all?
foxint wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:35 pm I played around with MM5 today and made a total mess of it and it ended not playing anything. So I deleted it - that was easier.
Can you specify how you tested and what exactly you mean by "not playing anything" ?
My wish is for the look to be the same as 4 and to be able to see "ALL" in the tree and then click on a track and then it can scrolls through the collection. With MM5 it will scroll back to the first track in the album.
Again, not sure what you are referring, can you be more descriptive?

Thanks!
foxint

Re: Experience from MM5

Post by foxint »

Hi

My comments were for MediaMonkey 5. I have no idea was MMS is.

My comments stand - I love Media Monkey, but MM5 is not as good (for me) as MM4.

I thought feedback from long time users was valuable. I am a Gold user. As I said, I am not sure what extra gold vs normal, but the new release is not good and the removal of the "ALL" (and I do not know the technical name for this function) is a backward step.

As I said I am sorry if this is the wrong place, I rarely go to forums (for this very reason), perhaps you could send it to the right place or to the developers.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

foxint wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:52 pm As I said I am sorry if this is the wrong place, I rarely go to forums (for this very reason), perhaps you could send it to the right place or to the developers.
Hi Foxit, you are in the correct place.

foxint wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:52 pm My comments were for MediaMonkey 5. I have no idea was MMS is.
There was a typo in your thread name which initially confused him ... someone has corrected it now, so all good.

foxint wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:35 pm My wish is for the look to be the same as 4 and to be able to see "ALL" in the tree and then click on a track and then it can scrolls through the collection. With MM5 it will scroll back to the first track in the album.
Which MM4 "ALL" are you meaning? ... the one in the Location sub node? (eg. EntireLibrary>Location>ALL) ... or MyComputer>YourDisk>ALL?

Up until now MM5 has intentionally removed the expandable sub-nodes in the Media Tree. ... the intention was that the new design now had better browsing tools than very very long lists in the Media Tree, and that the old MM4 way cluttered the UI, and all of the list loading slowed things down. ... The old way is still available via a script that is shipped with MM5.

But the change has confused|disappointed too many people, so the next debug version is going to have a option so that you can easily toggle on|off this this old MM4 behaviour. .... ie. toggle it ON, because you like it .... or toggle it OFF because you think that it is clutter, and and you want to use the new tools because MM5 will be faster if it doesn't have to populate these long lists that you aren't going to use anyway.

You should try MM5 again when the MM4 feature that you want is added back into MM5. ... I think that this is happening in the next release.

foxint wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:35 pm and then it can scrolls through the collection. With MM5 it will scroll back to the first track in the album.

If you explain which ALL you are referring to, it may be easier to understand what you mean by this ... at the moment it is hard to understand what you are saying.

foxint wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:35 pm Perhaps there is a tutorial on the "advanced" features that I have been missing for the last 8 years.

So that is my 2 cents. My apologies if it is in the wrong place.

But the current programme is great. Not too keen on the new one.
Your feedback is important. There is no any tutorial advertising and describing the new features.

They said that this is because it was early, and things were changing too much.

I don't think that is true any longer.

I fear that they also believe that the changes and new features are easy to notice and understand. ... I agree with you, that this is not true.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
foxint

Post by foxint »

WOW - thank you.

As I said I like MM4. I have been a long and loyal supporter. The scrolling and the long lists do not worry me. I like to be able to search, but also to open MM where I ended and let the music play. I mostly have it on for hours so I enjoy moving from one album to another without having to attend to the programme.

I enjoy the music, but I also enjoy the tech. So if there is any optimisation possible I would also be interested. I have USB bridge, seperate DAc. So the higher resolutions are also interesting. I probably aspire to more than I really understand.

Thank you.

Via Le Singe
dypsis

Post by dypsis »

I am wondering if it's the ShowAllNodes addon that Via would like.
foxint

Post by foxint »

Sir

I am not sure...

I was trying to attach a screen shot - but I have no idea how to do that.

In my very bad French Le Singe is Monkey. So it say Via La Monkey....

Regards
Dan
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

foxint wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:22 pm I was trying to attach a screen shot - but I have no idea how to do that.
Attaching images has been turned off here for some reason: workaround is here.

The addon script that dypsis names is the one that I refered to also.

Or you you could just wait until the next release of the MM5 beta.

I think waiting is best because the MM change notes show that there have some improvements & fixes in this function for release 2220.
https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=16188
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
foxint

Post by foxint »

hi Barry

I will wait and I do not have am image hosting service. I am doing it old school on my PC.

Thank you

Dan