Don't get LIST view of artists or albums [#16391]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

dtsig

Don't get LIST view of artists or albums [#16391]

Post by dtsig »

Having set to LIST view if i go from all tracks (correctly listing all tracks) and go to Artists or Albums I do not get a listing of those items. It stays list view of All Tracks.
If i go to grid view it does work correctly with grid view of albums and artists.
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
Peke

Re: 2228: Don't get LIST view of artists or albums

Post by Peke »

Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Barry4679

Re: 2228: Don't get LIST view of artists or albums

Post by Barry4679 »

Peke wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:56 pm Thanks for reporting added as https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=16382
Peke, that report has been closed, marked as Resolved, without any apparent action.

Is this Working As Designed? It seems as if List layout (column sequence, row sorting, etc) is defined at the Collection level ... so all sub-nodes seem to share the same list layout spec ... so changing from AllTracks in List view, to any sub-node (eg. Album) also in List view, results in no visible difference, which is what he is reporting isn't it?

Is this what was intended? ... it would more logical if each sub-node could have their own specification ... ie Album sub-node could have Album in column 1, and the primary sort could be by album ... while AlbumArtist node could be sorted by AlbumArtist tag, which was in column 1.

In the current situation, if the user changes sub-nodes, and if both are in List View, nothing happens ... MM5 appears to be broken.

Tested with 5.0.0.2228

Also the Manage Views facility seems to be broken in a number of ways;
  • Changes to the column sequence (using this control) are never persisted, and are ignored ... but changes to row sort seq specification works OK ... tested while I had List view open
  • while testing I got these two crashes ... the second one was after the 1st dump had been sent to you, and MM5 was trying to offer me the [Safe}Restart options
  • if I am in List view, and make changes to column layout, and|or row sort spec, by column dragging or column clicking or the Choose Columns dbox, those changes are not persisted to the List View specification, as seen in the Manage Views dbox .... they seem to be persisted only when I leave the sub-node, but not until then ... really confusing
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
dtsig

Re: Don't get LIST view of artists or albums [#16382]

Post by dtsig »

agreed ...
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

DTSig
rusty

Post by rusty »

Hi,

#16382 was closed due to confusion about what was being reported. Re-reading Barry's description above, there's clearly a bug: the List View settings for All Tracks is being applied to other List Views. Tracked at https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=16391

As to the various other isuses:
- Failure to persist column settings: https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=15756
- Crash A04CD83C - Not tracked (though it may have been fixed), need a bit more info about the trigger to add it into mantis
- Failure to make changes to columns in List view: I'm unable to replicate. Is it still occurring? Any more info?
- Field selection lists usability: https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=16375

Thanks!
dtsig

Re: Don't get LIST view of artists or albums [#16391]

Post by dtsig »

Thanks Rusty
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

DTSig
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

rusty wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:49 am - Crash A04CD83C - Not tracked (though it may have been fixed), need a bit more info about the trigger to add it into mantis
- Failure to make changes to columns in List view: I'm unable to replicate. Is it still occurring? Any more info?
Crash: I believe it happened when I was trying to alter|view the spec for List view within the Manage Views facility ... I don't remember anything more than that, other than I think that I had altered the View layout by dragging columns, and was trying to recheck a problem that I had noticed, where you were failing to persist the change into what was visible in Manage Views

The 2nd crash happened when I took one of the options on your Restart|RestartInSafeMode dbox .... I find this facility to be very unreliable in most instances.

Failure to persist: steps:
  • go to List view
  • drag a column to a new position
  • open Manage Views, and edit the List view
  • ==> the column change as displayed in this dbox has not been updated (yet)
  • navigate to another sub-node within the same collection
  • ==> reopen Manage Views, etc ==> the column change has now been persisted
So I am not claiming that it does not get persisted ... but it does not get persisted until after I navigate away from the View, so the two methods of view configuration are not working together well
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
rusty

Re: Don't get LIST view of artists or albums [#16391]

Post by rusty »

Re. the crash & failure to persist: there are some changes that we're making/debating re. Views in general. I expect that such stability issues will be resolved once we're done.

Hopefully we'll have something to test soon...