2229 - Devices and Services node

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

Barry4679

2229 - Devices and Services node

Post by Barry4679 »

I got an unmanaged exception from the D&S node.

I was testing the Configure Remote Access facility.

On first attempt I got the warning dbox also shown in the above image.
I "fixed" my Router setting, as advised in the warning message.
When I tried the Configure Remote Access facility against the Media Servers in my Sonos units, I still got the same warning dbox.
When I tried the Configure Remote Access facility against my NAS, I got the unmanaged exception, which crashed MM.

Additional comments:
  • the Configure Remote Access button has a gear shaped icon ... this indicates that it opens a config dbox, doesn't it? Apparently this facility immediately runs a script ... I think you should consider a different icon
  • I don't know what the Configure Remote Access facility does, or when it is required ... could you explain please? .... it would be good if some further explanation was in the tooltip
  • the Properties button (see 2nd image from the top of this post) displays an info dbox. ... could the marked url be a button, so that I could more easily browse to see more about the media server
Request: Could there be facility to configure layout and contents in the D&S panel? Because MM5 handling of Sonos units in the D&S node is a mess.

Background: Every individual Sonos speaker has its own embedded computer, which runs its own Media Server and Media Renderer. ... The average number of speakers per household is three. Many customers have a lot more than three; the system can support up to 32 units in a single household.

There is no reason, that I can think of, where a MM customer would would to sync to, nor attach to, their Sonos Media Server from MM5... The Sonos units monitor tracks, and keep their own Media Server database up-to-date, so there is nothing that MM can do to help. The Sonos media database is a closed system.

A Sonos/MM customer may want to use MM to play to a Sonos Renderer, but I can't see why they would want to access the closed Sonos Media server. So I see no reason why Sonos units should be listed on the D&S Tab.

You list every one of these Sonos Media Servers in the D&S node. I have 9 Sonos speakers. ... In the room, that I am sitting in, I have a left and right speaker, plus a sub. You list each of these individually. See my D&S display. It is a mess.

And, you list the Sonos Media Servers via their IP address ... meaning that they are sorted in front of my accessible useful Media Servers, which are listed by alpha-name. So what I may be interested is always at the bottom of your list.

Suggestions:
  • allow me to set a custom sort sequence for Media Servers in the the D&S node
  • and|or put the Media Servers in a sub-node that I can close
  • and|or allow me to create a list of hidden or disabled Media Services ... ie. like you do for Devices in the D&S node
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Ludek

Re: 2229 - Devices and Services node

Post by Ludek »

Hi Barry,

re crash 0D782E98 and configuring remote access:
it seems that you were not connected to internet at all so it failed to get your public ip for configuring remote access and crashed with 0D782E98
I will fix the crash for the 2230

The remote access allows you to access your home media servers outside of your home network, e.g. from cofee-room, details about this feature are here: https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=13443

I re-opened the issue to look into your suggestions/issues.

As for the tons of Sono's media servers:
We could probably make the sort order based on the last access time, this would keep the servers that you are accessing at the top.
Addded as https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=16415
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Ludek wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:02 am re crash 0D782E98 and configuring remote access:
it seems that you were not connected to internet at all so it failed to get your public ip for configuring remote access and crashed with 0D782E98
I was connected, but had just completed changing router settings, as advised by your warning dbox.
Maybe the change of router settings causes a temp interruption to Internet connection.
Anway, all good. Fixing the unmanaged exception was the main thing that I was reporting for.

Thanks for the explanation for Configure Remote Access. ... Now that I have read that, the explanation could seem self evident to you ... But I don't think so. ... I originally understood "remote" to mean access into my NAS (for example) from MM5 running on my PC, which is "remote" device to the NAS.

Now that I understand "remote" to be outside of the home, on the scary side of the firewall, I would personally keep away from that option. ... ie. have no interest in opening even a pinhole ... Other people may share these concerns. I suppose that they are probably baseless, but they should be able to decide that for themselves ... so I still think that the option should have some futher explanation ... maybe in the tooltip?

Ludek wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:02 am As for the tons of Sono's media servers:
We could probably make the sort order based on the last access time, this would keep the servers that you are accessing at the top.
That would be good. Could you also implement a Show All|Less toggle, as you have done for Devices in the D&S node?
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

As for the tooltip: I am rather showing the confirmation dialog with explanation text (rather than a tooptip) in 2230 as described here:
https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view ... 443#c57043 + the wording changes there.
So let's review in 2230 (once available)