Incoming phonecall monitor

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

pushpull

Incoming phonecall monitor

Post by pushpull »

It would be nice to be able for MediaMonkey to pause with an incoming phone call that could be monitored with a modem. As I have the stereo cranked at times it is hard to hear an incoming phone call and it would be nice to have the music pause so I can hear the phone ring.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

This would be a bad idea, as this would make MediaMonkey bloatware.

But a speciallized application could do this. For example skype does mute audio when a phonecall is started/received.
Steegy

Post by Steegy »

Using ActiveX, it should be possible to do this through a simple MM script.
But where's the ActiveX we can use... ?
Extensions: ExternalTools, ExtractFields, SongPreviewer, LinkedTracks, CleanImport, and some other scripts (Need Help with Addons > List of All Scripts).
DiddeLeeDoo

Post by DiddeLeeDoo »

I use CallStation http://www.imptec.com which can send a command to the computer after a phone comes in. I got a little exe file that mute music on my computer when a phone call comes in.

Mute 3 minutes after a phone call comes in, and it does not mute if it is a telemarketing call. If a Telemarketing call, the computer let the music play, and CallStation gives the Telemarketer a message and hang up on them...

Nice to automate things like this.
pushpull

Post by pushpull »

Lowlander wrote:This would be a bad idea, as this would make MediaMonkey bloatware.

But a speciallized application could do this. For example skype does mute audio when a phonecall is started/received.
Well, I for one do not see the difference between having MediaMonkey perform this task or some other application, either way it is additional features. I think this is how a "Media Computer" should work. Also, I am interested in a "pause' and not "mute". Ideally you could "resume" after the call ended automatically. I have been trying to find a way to do this since I put all my music on a computer and attached to my home stereo. I found software at http://www.pocketmac.net/products/pmholdit/index.html but it is for Mac and not PC. As I am a hardware guy and not a software guy I have thought about hacking a keyboard with a solenoid but I would much rather spend 12 bucks on a chunk of software to handle this since I have limited time for more projects. I had contacted the pocketmac people about putting out a pc version and was told they would look into it and get back to me but I never heard back. Perhaps I should contact them again and see if there is something in the pipeline.
DiddeLeeDoo

Post by DiddeLeeDoo »

Keyword to consider: Phone to USB & Skype as monitor.

Phone can be hooked up to the computer via USB.
Skype or similar may be able to do a couple of tricks when the phone rings.
DiddeLeeDoo

Post by DiddeLeeDoo »

Actually I just checked Skype, and it has got a 'Pause Winamp on incoming Call' ..... and that pause signal should work with MediaMonkey too...

So all you need then is to get that USB dongle.. for a few dollars or cents if DIY... (Just saw a few projects on the net... doing just that for pennies)
DiddeLeeDoo

Post by DiddeLeeDoo »

http://www.digitaletc.com/item.php?ref= ... uctid=3202

Something like that I had in mind, but I do not know all about it.

If you already have a TAPI capable modem in your computer, you could most likely get away with a CallerID program that is able to send a command at Ring detection. There's quite a few free programs like that.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Well MediaMonkey is a music manager, not a Media PC. I think it's bloatware as it isn't part of it's objective and furthermore it's a feature few would use.
Besides it would just cause headaches as there are so many modems out there that would need to be supported.
DiddeLeeDoo

Post by DiddeLeeDoo »

I agree Lowlander... MediaMonkey is already very capable to communicate with other stuff... whatever the 'other stuff' is, is up to the individual.

However, I hope pushpull find some sort of solution that suits. I sure appreciate my solution here, and have had it going for 2+ years, and would be lost without it.
pushpull

Winamp plugin

Post by pushpull »

I have found a plugin called WinampRING for winamp that will lower the volume with an incoming call that is picked up through the modem and was wondering if this will work with MM? How do I install it? Do you think there is a way to make it "pause" MM with a script? Thanks. BTW this plug in has been downloaded around 10K times so I guess I am not so special after all!
DiddeLeeDoo

Post by DiddeLeeDoo »

Nice discovery...

The file gen_WinampRING.dll goes to the \Program Files\MediaMonkey\Plugins folder.
You can replace the Winamp text with MediaMonkey when installing.

Restart MediaMonkey.

Go to Tools - Options - Player - General Plug-ins - WinaAMPRing - set options.

Seems to discover Com port by itself, but if it doesn't, you find that in Start - Control Panel - Phone and Modem Options - Modems and look what Com port the modem uses.

Tried it here, and it works..

added: Does not need any scripts...
pushpull

Latest mm version

Post by pushpull »

If anyone tries this with the latest MM version could you please leave a post as to how it works?
Thanks - puspull
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

so its not working now? is that what you are saying? must be an old winamp plugin see if the author for it has an updated version to work with winamp 5 that might work better with mm 3.

:-?

i can't test it for you because i have dual phone lines. i never mis a phone call.
and to make sure i have a phone with a light on. which works really good. there are items you can buy at like radio shack if they still have them in the bargain bin or lower back wall hanging space. for making the light/ lamp flash on and off when the phone rings, they might just be in the area you would find other useful items for the handicapped person.

so your not handicapped you say? but you are when the music is so loud you CAN'T HEAR the phone. deaf people use the light flashing so they know to go to their phone print out machines and read the messages. some use the same thing rewired to work for the door bell. so now you found a use for it and music.

i also have one of them critters here in the house but i don't use it. since i have the phone with the light built in to the handset.

oh so you say what good is that i want the sound muted? well my stereo has a remote with a mute button, that fits nicely in my pocket.

8)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
pushpull

confirmed

Post by pushpull »

I have confirmed that this plugin works with 3.0.2.1134
Thanks