MM for Mac - I just switched to Apple

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

I would like to see MediaMonkey for other OS than Windows

You may select 1 option

View results

Johann

Re: MM for Mac - I just switched to Apple

Post by Johann »

Hello Morgenstern72,

i belive you, that you have experience with IT. But i think you have not really experience with software development. I think not so as you. The MediaMonky-Team has overall no problem with MAC, Windows or Linux if they change there development framework. Today, it gives so great libraries (like Qt, Unity, etc.)! If you develop a application with Qt, so you have never the problems like you describe. You have nothing to change on your source code. This all is handled by the underlying framework (like Qt).

In all, the MediaMoney-Team should make a big step and use a cross-platform library to develop their software. This is the future. Look at Qt, Unity or others. If they make this step, they can really simple handle all platforms (incl. IOS and Android if the develop a second GUI). Today, this is really possible and the best step witch they can do!

Best regards,
Johann
lobengular

Any Progress on MM for Mac?

Post by lobengular »

Hi !
Its been quite a while since this topic came up, ie. Mediamonkey for Mac. What's going on? No interest? not of economical interest? Its rare to have such behaviours. Forget about the workaround you currently have. People just want to have a straight working software that just works on installation just like MM works on Windows. Only you the owners could pull that up!

Just come clean and say either you are not interested or give an exact date when MM for Mac shall be out.
Please advise for once on the topic. Its long overdue!
Last edited by Lowlander on Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged with existing post
tarasis

Post by tarasis »

I'd still love this, particularly if it worked without the restrictions of the file path length that Windows has. Mediamonkey (via Windows or HW or in VMWare) can't cope with long file paths & track names and just crashes MM when it's scaning the library.
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

If this ever happens, it won't happen before the release of MM5. As that is what they would base any new platform development on (Linux, Mac, etc.)
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
MMW 4.1.31.1919; 5.0.4.2690 || back it up...frequently!
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
"The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth"
😜
Morgenstern72

Post by Morgenstern72 »

Johann wrote:Hello Morgenstern72,

i belive you, that you have experience with IT. But i think you have not really experience with software development. I think not so as you. The MediaMonky-Team has overall no problem with MAC, Windows or Linux if they change there development framework. Today, it gives so great libraries (like Qt, Unity, etc.)! If you develop a application with Qt, so you have never the problems like you describe. You have nothing to change on your source code. This all is handled by the underlying framework (like Qt).

In all, the MediaMoney-Team should make a big step and use a cross-platform library to develop their software. This is the future. Look at Qt, Unity or others. If they make this step, they can really simple handle all platforms (incl. IOS and Android if the develop a second GUI). Today, this is really possible and the best step witch they can do!

Best regards,
Johann
Hi Johann, maybe they will change to a new code base. But who will pay for it? Me as a life long gold user on Windows: no. Maybe Mac users? Most of them are not willing to leave the ecosystem of Apple.
The real future is mobile computing. But since the developers are not big enough to handle Android, iOS and Windows 10 mobile they just have to wait some more months. Then we will have a Windows phone with a x86 that can run MM completely native. And you can use it too on Tablets or 2-in-1 like the Surface x Pro. But when they develop for OSX, the Apple users will want to have the app on their iPad too.
And lets be true about that: MM is not for lazy users but for Pros. People who want to get the best experience and do not shy away from going through endless settings, tagging their music and so on. You will find almost no users like that on a Mac. Many PC users have PCs because they like this way of getting the best for them.

So I still believe that developing for Mac is a waste of resources since there will not be enough users. And every framework that supports multi-OS is just not as good as a on-OS native framework.