MM for Mac - I just switched to Apple

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

I would like to see MediaMonkey for other OS than Windows

You may select 1 option

View results

Peke

Post by Peke »

Maybe thru WINE.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
hoylette

Monkey on the Mac

Post by hoylette »

Amen! iTunes has nothing on the Monkey and macs are on the rise. Please let the monkey play on my mac!

Post by Guest »

Anubis wrote: OK, by my count we now have less then 10 people who want a Mac version of MM. (Yes I am sure there are others out there...)

Well, here is (unofficially) how you get a MM Mac version...

Find enough people to fund the development of it.

Lets say it takes one developer a year to port. Let's say that developer gets US$100K per year (I wish).

Now all you need is 1000 people willing to pay US$100 each, or some similar multiple...
This is a great idea and I'm sure that if enough mac users were exposed to MM they would be willing to pay for a superior player over iTunes.

You can count me in for $50

Anyone else who is interested in actually making this dream a reality please post your pledge and tell anyone else who would like to see the Monkey on a Mac to do the same. Numbers make things happen and with enough support we can have the best of both worlds, a Mac and the Monkey, together at last!
tommae88

Post by tommae88 »

about the person using a mac for more than 3 days and liking it more.... i could not disagree more. my school only has mac's and i absolutely hate them compared to my pc. I see it is as the "dumbed-down" pc prety much lol
Steegy

Post by Steegy »

"dumbed-down"
I tend to agree here
Extensions: ExternalTools, ExtractFields, SongPreviewer, LinkedTracks, CleanImport, and some other scripts (Need Help with Addons > List of All Scripts).
chenango232

MM on Mac

Post by chenango232 »

...I guess that makes me a dummy.

I've been a PC user for 15 years. Everyone in my company has switched to mac. I was the last to make the switch and quite honestly am (after 2 months) enjoying my Mac - although I will admit it is mostly for the sake of the hardware (Macbook Pro).

I run Parallels and Media Monkey runs fine on it - thank God!
However Parallels does not support usb 2.0 yet. I'm not sure but I think that may have something to do with why I cannot get MM to sync with my ipod. Can anyone offer any insight into this?

For the record, I would pay $50 for a mac version of MM.
graphicgirl

Love the Mac

Post by graphicgirl »

tommae88 wrote:about the person using a mac for more than 3 days and liking it more.... i could not disagree more. my school only has mac's and i absolutely hate them compared to my pc. I see it is as the "dumbed-down" pc prety much lol
Please please please - MediaMonkey for Mac!!!!

I've been using a PC since they first came out. I took a job 6 years ago that was Mac based - it converted me! We now have PCs and Macs at home - the Macs are preferred by all except my son who likes to game online.

Macs are definitely not "dumbed-down" PCs! Macs are easy to use. They are easy to learn. They are easy to add programs to and easy to remove programs from. They are easy to find files and content on. They are, in a nutshell, easier to use than PCs. That doesn't make them "dumb", it makes them smart.
birdbrain

mm mac

Post by birdbrain »

mm on mac please!

wouldn't take more than 6 months for someone familiar w/ mac programming i would think (hire me, i'll do it).

itunes is terrible
judas

Post by judas »

chenango just mentioned parallels, which i think its a good solution for u ppl on macs. from wikipedia:
Parallels Desktop for Mac is a software product by Parallels, Inc., a developer of desktop and server virtualization software. It is the first software suite to bring virtualization mainstream on Macintosh computers with Intel processors. The product is distributed as a download package via the Parallels web-site, or it can be purchased through Apple from their online store or retail shops.
and, on a recent Beta,
...Support for USB 2.0 devices has been added, which expands the amount of USB devices supported at native speed...
Cheers, judas
DontPanic

Post by DontPanic »

Peke wrote:Maybe thru WINE.
I have tried to get MM to run on ubuntu 6.10 (latest stable release) through WINE but it has a problem accessing the database and refuses to open all the way. I haven't taken the time to look into maybe fixing this problem, but as of now I don't think MM can run via wine (unfortunately)... and that is why I would be ecstatic to see a Linux port for MediaMonkey, especially because Linux is really lacking a real good music player... Songbird is honestly the only hope in my opinion and its way away from being complete (You can download version .2.5, its not even alpha yet).
I will keep looking into getting media monkey to run under WINE, but a linux version would be even better, and I would certainly be happy to help fund the development if I knew it was gonna go on.

As for Mac, I don't really care.
chenango232

Hallelujah It Worked!!!!!

Post by chenango232 »

I updated to the latest version of Parallels (build 3186) and it is truly amazing! USB 2.0 worked flawlessly. The only hitch is that you have to manually switch the USB from MAC to Parallels (or give it full time control).

Worth mentioning as well is that by using "Coherence", you can use MM and it looks just like any other window on your Mac.

I did struggle a little with one thing. I didn't realize that if your ipod is formated with the Mac it won't work - it needs to be formated via itunes for PC.

Thank you Judas for the heads up!
judas

Post by judas »

Very welcome, glad its working for you chenango232!!
(I wish i had an intel mac myself :-( )
Cheers, judas
someone

Post by someone »

I'm planning a migration from Windows to Linux-Ubuntu on their next release. I can't afford a licence for Vista nor Mac OS-X.
I know I will miss MM :( As someone said before, there is no good music player on linux.
Morten

Post by Morten »

What about amaroK?
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

someone wrote:I'm planning a migration from Windows to Linux-Ubuntu on their next release. I can't afford a licence for Vista nor Mac OS-X.
I know I will miss MM :( As someone said before, there is no good music player on linux.
So who said you had to get vista?

from what i read in the trade papers or online newsletters. 98% of the profr... geeks are NOT going to vista. that includes the geeks in the land down under. they say there is no strong pull to go to another repackage of windows xp. some are changing but they admit there is nothing for the normal person to even make them need to change from xp.

i for one won't change to vista. xp will work and be supported for another couple years or so then i'll figure out what to go to then if anything.

but as in my sig. i still use win98 it still runs on the computer as it did before they stopped the support sure its off line now but it still work as win98 always did, with some errors but mostly normal long time use is the cause of them.

but there is no one insisting you go to vista? as i said in another forum sometime ago.
" i already have a nice view why would i want a new vista of an outhouse. " 8)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.