Invert Selection

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

ZvezdanD

Invert Selection

Post by ZvezdanD »

Music manager which I used before has option Invert Selection, it would be nice if MM will get some similar.

Let say that I want to enter Disc # for some 2-disc album. I first select tracks from first CD, change their properties, and after that I need to select tracks from second disc. Currently, I must to do this selecting track by track again.
Eyal

Post by Eyal »

Actually you can do it with the mouse.

Press CTRL while dragging the mouse (from an empty space in the list) over the selected tracks.
Skins for MediaMonkey: Cafe, Carbon, Helium, Spotify, Zekton. [ Wiki Zone ].
ZvezdanD

Post by ZvezdanD »

Eyal wrote:Actually you can do it with the mouse.

Press CTRL while dragging the mouse (from an empty space in the list) over the selected tracks.
Actually, it don't work as should be, and is not obvious (I don't know any Windows software with same approach).
Eyal

Post by Eyal »

I know, it's not obvious. It's only something I discovered.
Skins for MediaMonkey: Cafe, Carbon, Helium, Spotify, Zekton. [ Wiki Zone ].
ZvezdanD

Post by ZvezdanD »

Not only that it is not obvious, but it don't works as it should. I got random selected rows in table. In fact, selection depends on speed of dragging mouse. Not useful at all.
Steegy

Post by Steegy »

I don't know any Windows software with same approach
Try Windows. The Details view of Explorer works (almost) exactly the same.
Extensions: ExternalTools, ExtractFields, SongPreviewer, LinkedTracks, CleanImport, and some other scripts (Need Help with Addons > List of All Scripts).
Bex

Post by Bex »

I just noticed that it is a "invert selection" entry in the edit menu of the now playing window. Strange that I haven't seen it before?

Advanced Duplicate Find & Fix Find More From Same - Custom Search. | Transfer PlayStat & Copy-Paste Tags/AlbumArt between any tracks.
Tagging Inconsistencies Do you think you have your tags in order? Think again...
Play History & Stats Node Like having your Last-FM account stored locally, but more advanced.
Case & Leading Zero Fixer Works on filenames too!

All My Scripts
davidbspalding

Re: Invert Selection

Post by davidbspalding »

I also vote for an "Invert Selection" command on the Edit menu, active for detail lists (Show Details, Album Art, Album Art with Details, Track Browser). The CTRL + mouse selection box is NOT the same thing. "Invert Selection" is very common in Windows file/object views.

Use case?

You've selected Tracks 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 9 in a track listing of 12, and now want to select the inverse. Edit | Invert Selection now selects 4, 6, 8, 10, 11, 12.
«Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand.» Chinese proverb
T43 XP-SP3 2GB RAM, dual hard drives, MM 4.0.3 Gold; Ipod Classic 7G v2.0.4, Nano 3G v1.1.3.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

davidbspalding wrote:I also vote for an "Invert Selection" command on the Edit menu, active for detail lists (Show Details, Album Art, Album Art with Details, Track Browser). The CTRL + mouse selection box is NOT the same thing. "Invert Selection" is very common in Windows file/object views.

Use case?

You've selected Tracks 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 9 in a track listing of 12, and now want to select the inverse. Edit | Invert Selection now selects 4, 6, 8, 10, 11, 12.
http://mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic. ... on#p151650
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
davidbspalding

Post by davidbspalding »

Lovely. But that doesn't invalidate filing it as an RFE just because a third party has supplied it. ;) What if the third party stops development and the script is incompatible with 4.0?

Please add to the official wishlist under User Interface.
(Just reviewed the wishlist sticky. Mea culpa for not reviewing that first.)
«Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand.» Chinese proverb
T43 XP-SP3 2GB RAM, dual hard drives, MM 4.0.3 Gold; Ipod Classic 7G v2.0.4, Nano 3G v1.1.3.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

davidbspalding wrote:Lovely. But that doesn't invalidate filing it as an RFE just because a third party has supplied it. ;) What if the third party stops development and the script is incompatible with 4.0?

Please add to the official wishlist under User Interface.
(Just reviewed the wishlist sticky. Mea culpa for not reviewing that first.)
Well, someone else could always pick up the development!

It's always a debate about what features should be included vs. what should be handled with add-ons. I'm not sure the best way to determine if something should be handled by the program itself vs with add-ons, but since this is already partially implemented natively via the Now Playing panel, it makes sense to add it in fully to me.

rothschild86

4.1.3 Missing Invert Selection menu item in the Edit menu

Post by rothschild86 »

Really missing this when doing complicated tagging jobs. Too easy to implement not to have it. A standard feature in file managers...
Last edited by Lowlander on Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged with existing topic
nohitter151

Re: 4.1.3 Missing Invert Selection menu item in the Edit men

Post by nohitter151 »