Linux.... mediamonkey.... meant to be..?

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

Would you use mediamonkey on ubuntu?

You may select 1 option

View results

Bianchi Lorenzo

Ubuntu or XP?

Post by Bianchi Lorenzo »

Well... Ubuntu is faster and it didn't need any key, but of XP is the most used OS in the word there is a reason... Ok, you must pay it, but you musn't do anything, you just need an antivirus (ok, Ubuntu don't need it...) and... you have got all! MediaMonkey? For Windows! Picasa? For Windows! All the programs that you can find have a Windows version, but only the 1% of these programs have a Linux version... Why? 'Couse Ubuntu is, ok, free and faster, but Windows is BETTER!

P.S. Excuse me for the language, but I'm an 13-year-old italian boy... And, you see, I don't speak English very well... I speak better Spanish...
nohitter151

Re: Ubuntu or XP?

Post by nohitter151 »

Bianchi Lorenzo wrote:Well... Ubuntu is faster and it didn't need any key, but of XP is the most used OS in the word there is a reason... Ok, you must pay it, but you musn't do anything, you just need an antivirus (ok, Ubuntu don't need it...) and... you have got all! MediaMonkey? For Windows! Picasa? For Windows! All the programs that you can find have a Windows version, but only the 1% of these programs have a Linux version... Why? 'Couse Ubuntu is, ok, free and faster, but Windows is BETTER!

P.S. Excuse me for the language, but I'm an 13-year-old italian boy... And, you see, I don't speak English very well... I speak better Spanish...
Actually, Picasa is available on Linux! :wink:
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
jorgeat

Media Monkey in Gutsy

Post by jorgeat »

MM in Ubuntu plz ....

In the meanwhile I use MM in a virtual XP with virtualbox in seamless mode is working but i virtualized little slowmotion ;-)

I cant get working in crossover, but I try it no skinned tip

I like to see MM in linux, amarok is fine but MM help no only to play but organize andcomplete metadata of al my tracks in easyway

regards
JorgeAT

Post by JorgeAT »

Bianchi Lorenzo wrote:Well... Ubuntu is faster and it didn't need any key, but of XP is the most used OS in the word there is a reason... Ok, you must pay it, but you musn't do anything, you just need an antivirus (ok, Ubuntu don't need it...) and... you have got all! MediaMonkey? For Windows! Picasa? For Windows! All the programs that you can find have a Windows version, but only the 1% of these programs have a Linux version... Why? 'Couse Ubuntu is, ok, free and faster, but Windows is BETTER!

Estimado Lorenzo
Usar Ubuntu no es una cuestión de recursos únicamente, tampoco es cuestión de pensar que es mejor, cada quien tiene una opinión, yo he usando windows durante mucho tiempo y ahora me encuentro confortable en ubuntu, le encuentro muchas ventajas y con crossover o wine se puede aliviar la transición.

Using Ubuntu is not a matter of resources only or about what system is better, everybody haves a opinion, I use Win for a long time but now I am very comfortable with ubuntu, I think have a lot of benefits and with crossover or wine can help to the transition
JorgeAT

Re: jeb3518

Post by JorgeAT »

jeb3518 wrote:I seem to have got MM working under linux. I'm using Ubuntu 7.10 the latest Wine and just installed it. The only thing that I can tell is that you have to run the "MediaMonkey (non-skinned).exe" and not the other one. Good luck

- Jeb

EDIT: BTW, I'm using the beta 3 version.
Hi JEB I use crossover and yes non skinned is working but I cant play the plyer skipped the track, I have my tracks in ntfs partition, how use you any special configuration?

jorgeat at gmail.com
Da Bear

MM for Tux

Post by Da Bear »

MM on Ubuntu?!! Want it PLEEEEASE!! I have finally been able to get away from MurkySoft Windblows, and now am going through MediaMonkef withdrawals!! Amarok is clunky as all hell and I cant get the MM in VurtualBox (XP) to read my iPod. As a liftetime MM license holder, I'd pay my license fee again to get full blown Linux version!
teemac

Post by teemac »

I have been a long time M$ user back to Dos 3.3. Build and maintain dozens of systems every year for clients. Last year got sick and tired of all the virus, anti adware, updates, DRM, activation etc.

Changed to Kubuntu64 (after trying several other distros - Mint, PCLinuxOS) and spent about 6 months learning it - several reformats and re-installs later I have now been using Kubuntu for 6 months straight without any M$ stuff or other problems on my drives. The feeling is so free and you have so much extra time to actually do something constructive with your computer other than just maintaining it.

BUT being a lifetime MM user, I miss MM so much - nothing any where comparable in Linux. Would love to see MM for K/Ubuntu and would definitely pay again.
jfrorie

Post by jfrorie »

It will be a while before these guys port to Linux.

However, I think that if everyone on this thread went to www.winehq.org, logged in and voted for the MediaMonkey application, there would be enough votes for this program to be a priority.

This has two effects. One, we get mediamonkey under Linux. Two, with the complexity and breadth of the program, it would help flesh out the remaining issues with wine.

Also, be willing to test the versions on occasion and submit reports.

If people are willing to put forth a little effort, I think you would get what you want.

Jim

Post by Guest »

jfrorie wrote: However, I think that if everyone on this thread went to www.winehq.org, logged in and voted for the MediaMonkey application, there would be enough votes for this program to be a priority.
There's an extra comma at the end of that link rendering that link wrong. Here's the link without the comma. :D

www.winehq.org

Ok, now we can all go there and vote for MediaMonkey to be a priority.

I don't mind Amarok, but MM is so much better in organizing the music and keeping all the metadata, tags, ratings, album art... etc etc etc.
singh.gurjeet

Post by singh.gurjeet »

I would love-love-love to see MM running on Ubuntu....
amudman

MediaMonkey & Ubuntu

Post by amudman »

I'm retired, have a large music collection and an Ipod. Itunes drags badly on my very large songlist. MM on Win XP is fine. I really enjoy Ubuntu even though I know nothing about code, but I did get a script of Mr. Trix's installed and working on MM.(Thank you for your work). I would probably abandon Windows but I really need my music. To abandon Windows I need the features of MM together with Ubuntu.

There are two possible options: get MM to smoothly install on Ubuntu and work so a retired guy like me can get it working or fluff up one of the Ubuntu players to do what MM does well. Are either one of these options reasonably possible soon?? Thanx folks,(':D')
chuck
JustMe

Please?!!?

Post by JustMe »

I would love to say goodbye to windows forever... but only MediaMonkey has me coming back.

An Ubuntu version would be the best, but a completely working WINE version wouldn't be bad. I have no knowledge of code and am just beginning to use Ubuntu, but I love it. It's ten times better than Vista. Anything I could do to help this along, I would.
botijo

Post by botijo »

nohitter151 wrote: Actually, Picasa is available on Linux! :wink:
If you actually see how Picasa on Linux was developed, you will see something interesting: the Picasa installation has a copy of WINE, so the development of Picasa for Linux has been fairly reduced. Some things do not work, but hey, at least you have Picasa for Linux. Maybe that is something to look for?
Update: The point was that Google made it easy to use Picasa with Wine under GNU/Linux. I know that using Wine might give you some trouble.
Owyn

Post by Owyn »

I am a recent user of MM and a long time Linux user.

I also have a WXP Pro system which just does not want to retire. It is used almost exclusively as a home grown Media Center system. Tools like NoteTab Pro, MP3Tag, and MediaMonkey which are only available on Win* are just to useful.

I keep trying, and I have high hopes for Amarok 2, but I have had these hopes for several years, and, still have this one darn system.

At least, I have no need or desire for Vista, and my license for Win XP Pro will let me transfer it to a new system when this 6-year old system eventually dies.

Now, wonder where I can find a safe slip-streamed WXP Pro SP3 ISO for future clean installs.
botijo

Post by botijo »

Owyn wrote:Now, wonder where I can find a safe slip-streamed WXP Pro SP3 ISO for future clean installs.
I know it is off topic, but you should be able to build such ISO with either the MSDN documentation or with nlite. It cannot get much safer than that.