Linux.... mediamonkey.... meant to be..?

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

Would you use mediamonkey on ubuntu?

You may select 1 option

View results

Darmst

Re: Ubuntu.... mediamonkey.... meant to be..?

Post by Darmst »

MM and some games are what which are keeping me away from linux. I would love to see some linux support one day, especially now with the steambox in the horizon
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

Looks like they should follow the poll here as over 2000 are for it.
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
ravenheart001

Post by ravenheart001 »

I definitely would use mediamonkey on ubuntu. I've been using Linux Mint now for about 6 months after being a longtime Windows user, including NT, Windows 2000, & Windows 7, (all running on multiple boxes) and linux appears to be a superior operating system. The developers of Linux distros just seem to be more focused on creating a more feature rich, customizable, and secure operating system while Microsoft appears to be almost solely focused on preventing piracy (making full drive backups incredibly difficult) and planning operating system obsolescense to keep us all on the merry-go-round of buying new software. Linux is considerably faster running on same hardware, you can easily try 32 or 64 bit versions & multiple distributions to see what works best for you, much easier to do routine backups, much easier to customize, easier to install & update new software applications, & plenty of available software (any home user who doesn't play many windows games will have all the software they need). Linux has reached a level of maturity that is going to mean lots of people switching who have cultivated the same dislike of Microsoft as I have. ...and Linux is so easy to try, burn the iso file to a disk, and boot up your computer from the cd drive, I was just overwhelmed by the simplicity of it. I'm not trying to necessarily sway people to linux here with my comments, only to let the mediamonkey developers know how a new linux user feels about quality of the operating system, and the likelyhood of many more people adopting it.
Fraxav

Post by Fraxav »

Would definitely use MM on Ubuntu!
I don't have no time for no MediaMonkey buisness...

Fraxav uses a Windows XP Home Edition SP2 on an Acer Aspire 5670 laptop with an Intel Core Duo T2300 (1.66 GHz) processor, ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 512 MB, 100 GB Hard Disc and 1 GB DDR2 Ram.
Fraxav

Post by Fraxav »

And, with an Android version actually in development, I think it's now relatively easy to port MM on Linux too. Any feedback on this?

Fraxav uses a Windows XP Home Edition SP2 on an Acer Aspire 5670 laptop with an Intel Core Duo T2300 (1.66 GHz) processor, ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 512 MB, 100 GB Hard Disc and 1 GB DDR2 Ram.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Fraxav wrote:And, with an Android version actually in development, I think it's now relatively easy to port MM on Linux too.
I would highly doubt that as the App is not the same as the whole Application.
Fraxav

Post by Fraxav »

Didn't have a chance to try it yet, but for me the same basic features, conversion capabilities and tag management would be enough.

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

MediaMonkey for Android has basic tag support and no conversion support.
sungin

Post by sungin »

please linux support :roll:
allwi

Post by allwi »

+1

With the new "awesome" versions of Windows out there (Win7 and Win8) the request for Linux support will surge.
For me MM is (unfortunately) the killer app for Linux - but my WinXP machine is getting old ...
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

allwi wrote:+1

With the new "awesome" versions of Windows out there (Win7 and Win8) the request for Linux support will surge.
For me MM is (unfortunately) the killer app for Linux - but my WinXP machine is getting old ...
There is nothing wrong with Win7 .. but Win8 .. i'll give you that.

Linux support would be a good thing.
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
onggie

Post by onggie »

So after switching from Apple to Android, it has taken some time getting used to different features and what not. MediaMonkey made it very easy to transition from iTunes. But I run half my applications in Windows and half in *nix. I am looking at a full transition but I am unable to do so. Some progress on Linux would be great, MediaMonkey + Arch would be perfect! I will then be happy to pay for a Life Time license and also purchase the Android app if you end up charging for that.
elsmandino

Post by elsmandino »

Hello,

I have just been reading through this thread as I am in a similar situation to many users on here - I am a new convert to Linux and have been using Linux Mint for a while now and agree that it is much better than Windows in a number of ways.

Mediamonkey is one of the sole reasons that I am having to run Windows virtually with VMWare - it certainly works but it is a bit irritating to use like this, compared to a full install on LInux itself.

Having read all the later post on here, I am not quite sure as to the current position.

1. Does it look likely that Mediamonkey will ever be ported to linux?
2. Am I correct in thinking that it is possible to run Mediamonkey with WINE, but you will lose some key features by doing this?

I am also a bit of a newcomer to Mediamonkey and although it is a great bit of software (I had been using iTunes until recently), I have to consider whether it is good enough to keep me using windows at all on my desktop PC.

I noted that someone did state that Clementine is perhaps a viable alternative - has anyone got any experience of this?

Assuming that that the answer to my two questions above is no, I might have to consider another media program.

Ultimately, I need something that runs on both Windows and Linux (I have to run my server under Windows for PRV reasons), must have podcast support and must work with iPods.

Any viable alternative suggestions would be much appreciated.
jiri

Post by jiri »

Just a short note re. 1 - I can't promise anything yet, but some recent tests and development show that a native Linux version is possible. It certainly won't be out there in just few months, but hopefully not many either...

Jiri
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

jiri wrote:Just a short note re. 1 - I can't promise anything yet, but some recent tests and development show that a native Linux version is possible. It certainly won't be out there in just few months, but hopefully not many either...

Jiri
You are such a tease
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig