Linux.... mediamonkey.... meant to be..?

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

Would you use mediamonkey on ubuntu?

You may select 1 option

View results

ubuntuuser

Linux.... mediamonkey.... meant to be..?

Post by ubuntuuser »

hello everybody....
im a long time windows user and long time mediamonkey user... however now i have seen the error in my ways.... so having switched to ubuntu i am now missing mediamonkey... lol :(
the only way i get it to run is with a virtual machine. this is annoying.. i know there are many other out there that want mediamonkey for ubuntu...
SO PLEASE!!!! can the powers that be make it happen??? pretty please?

people show them that you would use mediamonkey on ubuntu[/b]
Profoundly Misunderstood
Zak1392

Post by Zak1392 »

I would also like this. I don't want to have to boot into Windows every time I want to want to listen to music.
Steegy

Post by Steegy »

So you think Linux boots faster? The Kubuntu 64bit I tried didn't.
Extensions: ExternalTools, ExtractFields, SongPreviewer, LinkedTracks, CleanImport, and some other scripts (Need Help with Addons > List of All Scripts).

Post by Guest »

who said anything about booting faster?
Steegy

Post by Steegy »

I supposed that was the main reason to boot Linux (I'm thinking about Targa who made a small Linux version that works as jukebox, for some of their mobile pc's: you don't actually have to start a complete OS so you're up and running very quickly and it doesn't use much resources). Apparently not. Sorry.
Extensions: ExternalTools, ExtractFields, SongPreviewer, LinkedTracks, CleanImport, and some other scripts (Need Help with Addons > List of All Scripts).
jfrorie

Post by jfrorie »

Steegy wrote:I supposed that was the main reason to boot Linux (I'm thinking about Targa who made a small Linux version that works as jukebox, for some of their mobile pc's: you don't actually have to start a complete OS so you're up and running very quickly and it doesn't use much resources). Apparently not. Sorry.
Nay. Some of us just want to break the bonds of our MS masters. :)

Imagine a world without DRM, activation and Product Keys. It exists and it's name is Linux. :)

Jim

P.S. I would really like to see a Linux/Ubuntu version as well. My understanding is that the WINE crew has libraries you can compile against to make the transition. Might not be as bad as looks. *fingers crossed*
matt1003

MM for Ubuntu

Post by matt1003 »

I am about to dual-boot my pc with XP and Linux (Ubuntu). The last thing i want to have to do is restart my computer every five minutes into XP just to use media monkey!
The reason i want to use media monkey (and probably most other users too) is to get away from windows media player and Microsoft!!! Now i'm forced to use Microsoft Windows? That seem a bit ironically dumb to me!
ubuntuuser

Post by ubuntuuser »

there does seem to be more support for it.... the alternatives on ubuntu just dont cut it compared to MM, MM is the ultimate music player available. we need it on linux.
Profoundly Misunderstood
jeb3518

jeb3518

Post by jeb3518 »

I seem to have got MM working under linux. I'm using Ubuntu 7.10 the latest Wine and just installed it. The only thing that I can tell is that you have to run the "MediaMonkey (non-skinned).exe" and not the other one. Good luck

- Jeb

EDIT: BTW, I'm using the beta 3 version.
Verity

Ubuntu MediaMonkey

Post by Verity »

PLEASE consider MediaMonkey for Ubuntu. I would be blissfully happy.
Izzmit

Post by Izzmit »

Im going to be dual booting Ubuntu here pretty soon, and would love to be able to use MM on there too. I dont think it would be too unreasonable to make it gold membership only, either.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Steegy wrote:So you think Linux boots faster? The Kubuntu 64bit I tried didn't.
I've gotta say, I installed Ubuntu 7.10 on my old laptop... it boots and runs MUCH faster than XP did.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
scarecrow

Post by scarecrow »

Linux already has many great players... Amarok (yea, I know Ubuntu kids don't like infesting their rig with kde libs and prefer wine and all sorts of nonsense instead!- too good MM does not work under wine... the non-skinned version sort of works, but it's awfully slow and it crashes all the time), Quodlibet (ugly, but extremely functional), gmpc/mpd... and so it goes.
Factly, excluding the rubbish named "Windows Media Player", there isn't any decent media player for windows with client/server architecture. IMHO Media Monkey should contentrate on windows, and probably try separating the UI from the core (apart from WMP, this has been done in Jriver Media Center, but the implementation is problematic at best), and not trying to compete with Amarok (which is most probably the best media player I ever happened to touch- MM included).
stealth

Post by stealth »

@scarecrow
I took a look at amarok... and frankly i think your dumb. no offense but MM kicks it ace.
TwiztidSinz

Post by TwiztidSinz »

scarecrow wrote:and not trying to compete with Amarok (which is most probably the best media player I ever happened to touch- MM included).
Amarok DOES beat MediaMonkey out....

in the over-sized, clunky looking, take-up-the-whole-screen department.

But if you want a good, slick looking, easy to use player that allows you to do work on your computer while listening to music.... go with MediaMonkey.

That said, I would -love- to see MM available on Linux outside of WINE.
Amarok -IS- a great player, it's just like Linux in general: Not very visually appealing/user-friendly.
Linux is making headway and improving in that department (K/Ubuntu 7.10 is very slick looking, same with Fedora 8), maybe as it matures from its long-built stable foundation it will gain a high-quality interface to match.
Motherboard: Intel D915PBL
Processor: Intel Pentium 4 550 Prescott 3.4GHz LGA 775 (w/ Hyper-Threading)
Memory: Corsair 2048MB (512x4) DDR2 533 (PC2 4200) Dual Channel
Hard Drive: Western Digital WD800JD 80 GB / WD2500JS 250 GB / WD2500KS 250 GB
Video Card: Sapphire RADEON X1600 XT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16