Songs-DB for networked use

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

phillfri

Songs-DB for networked use

Post by phillfri »

:D Nice program! For a first release its amazing how much you got into your design. I've been looking for a song manager for awhile, and I think I've FINALLY found what I need in your program. Smart move sticking with Winamp. No single person, or even most companies, will ever be able to devote the resources to match Winamp for quality and versatility. For my "wish", I'd like to use Songs-DB on network "client" machines and run a Winamp player on a "server" machine. With the price of a basic 1 ghz computer box (no monitor) falling below $300 U.S. and home networks proliferating like mad, many of us are choosing to buy a computer box for use as a dedicated song machine on our home networks and running it remotely from our main working computer. I just just ditched my old stereo system in my living room for an old 800 mhz computer box with a Philips Acoustic Edge 706 soundcard and a generic 5.1 speaker system. Very cost effective, and it sounds great! [A good use for used/cheaper/older computers]. So far, I haven't really found a song manager program designed with this capability in mind, but your program seems to have potential for this (besides being very useful as it is). From your comments on other threads, it sounds like you might have a lot of the needed capabilities to do this already built into the program, e.g. remote control structure for Winamp, a good scanning facility, etc. Keep up the good work!
jiri

Post by jiri »

The idea is nice, but I'm not sure if something like this will be implemented soon. I plan to extend Songs-DB functionality so it can be controlled externally, but again - it needs some time. :cry:

BTW, have you tried to find something like this among winamp's plugins? I think that there is a plugin that accepts external commands (like webserver), maybe there are others too.