Rate Overall Albums/Folders

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

drogba

Rate Overall Albums/Folders

Post by drogba »

How can I rate a folder or an entire album w/o just rating individual tracks?
Eyal

Re: Rate Overall Albums/Folders

Post by Eyal »

Different ways of doing it:
  • Select all desired tracks, edit properties (Shift+Enter) and set rating, or use Rating icon on toolbar, or right-click|My Rating.
    You can use "All" nodes in the tree to make selection easier. To configure it: Tools|Options|Library|Appearance->Show 'All' node...
  • Use keyboard shortcuts. Example: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 08#p204655
Skins for MediaMonkey: Cafe, Carbon, Helium, Spotify, Zekton. [ Wiki Zone ].
drogba

Post by drogba »

Eyal wrote:Different ways of doing it:
  • Select all desired tracks, edit properties (Shift+Enter) and set rating, or use Rating icon on toolbar, or right-click|My Rating.
    You can use "All" nodes in the tree to make selection easier. To configure it: Tools|Options|Library|Appearance->Show 'All' node...
  • Use keyboard shortcuts. Example: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 08#p204655

thank you...will try later today...now i'm just hoping there's a category on mediamonkey that allows me to view folders/albums by overall ratings instead of single track ratings
Eyal

Post by Eyal »

Album Art and Album Art with Details views.
Skins for MediaMonkey: Cafe, Carbon, Helium, Spotify, Zekton. [ Wiki Zone ].
Shivari

Post by Shivari »

It's a shame there isn't an "album rating" tag as it would be very useful. I have way too many tracks in my library to remember what's what. Sometimes I want to listen to a whole album by a single artist - but many albums contain tracks I hate or only a few gems amongst dross, and I don't want to keep jumping up and clicking Next... It's really good to be able to identify complete albums that are a decent listen all the way through.

The way I have done this is to use Filters and the Classification tag.

Select all tracks on the album. Select Properties | Classification. In field Custom 1 enter "Good album". Save.

On the menubar, select File | Manage filters.

Click <Add filter>. Add a new filter called "Best albums". Add <search criteria>. Select Property <Custom 1> and enter value "Good album". Save.

Now, go to the Library tree node, right click, select <Filters>. You should see "Best albums" listed. Select this filter.

Your library should now only show albums you have rated as a "Good album" in the Custom 1 field. All the usual library options work as usual.

You could extend this by putting a star rating in 'Custom 1' - instead of "Good album" enter "5*" or "4*". You could then create filters for "5*" albums, "4*" albums etc... You can change the name of "Custom 1" to "Best Albums" using Tools | Options, then Library | Appearance.

Also you might add this field to the main Library view: select Library node, right-click, Options > Choose tree Nodes. Add "Custom 1" column to the default display. You can then sort the whole Library on "Custom 1" (ie. good albums) without bothering to set the filter.

Hope this is what you wanted! Not ideal - but in the absence of an "album rating" tag it's the best solution I could come up with. Would like to hear if anyone has a better idea.