Multiple Libraries?

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

Morten

Post by Morten »

What I want of multiple library-functionality;

1) Library manager to easily manage the DBs. Also, an option to add a password-security on these could also be added.
2) Save library-db to another location (including network-based drives).

That's what I feel I need from such a function.
Best regards,
Morten
steve_c

Re: multiple-player suppor is a must for serious work

Post by steve_c »

fguizar wrote:I have been looking for multiple library support for several years. No one has it otherwise I would be using their product. MediaMonkey is my best hope for such a critical tool. I suggest that this would be used very frequently by anyone trying to work on their collection of ripped, purchased, portable music in various formats... I have Flac, MP3, and portable music and run into all the same issues everyone else has.

It should be on the top of the list.
iTunes has it: hold down a shift key and click in the iTunes icon. Keep the key held down until a dialogue box appears asking you which library you want to use.
drichm

Post by drichm »

Use iTunes.... that is indeed a high price to pay (I paid it once).

As much as I would love multiple library support, I am not sure I want to sell-out my soul.

Dave

P.S. Per my last post, MM starts with the same filter to you last exited with so my 'Point 2' is irrelevant :oops:. Although, I could replace it with the fact it is not obvious that a filter is in effect when you are not expecting it. Any chance of colour coding or assigning some 'picture' to the library node - i.e. pseudo-'album art' for a filter.
Seeker

Post by Seeker »

Serious question - why is everyone SO ENAMORED with filters that they are AGAINST multiple libraries (and the ease that people can understand the separation)?

I have no problem with filters - yay filters!

But the tone here is "we have filters - we don't need no stinkin' multiple libraries"

My vote is in again - multiple libraries PLEASE - for all the reasons mentioned and more.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

seeker wrote:Serious question - why is everyone SO ENAMORED with filters that they are AGAINST multiple libraries (and the ease that people can understand the separation)?

I have no problem with filters - yay filters!

But the tone here is "we have filters - we don't need no stinkin' multiple libraries"

My vote is in again - multiple libraries PLEASE - for all the reasons mentioned and more.
Then allow me to ask a Serious question - why are people unwilling to accept workarounds and scripts, instead expecting everything to immediately be available as native program functionality. The devs have a lot to worry about already and it takes time to implement new features.

Did you miss the script/workaround listed in this very thread?
http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... c&start=30
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
chrisjj

Post by chrisjj »

> I have tried multiple instances of MM with seperate ini files but they all
> share the ini file in the default "my music" directory. What am I doing
> wrong?

I took would like to know the proper way of doing this.
Chris
chrisjj

Post by chrisjj »

Peke wrote:OK you guys and girls I'll make Small app that will allow to select what DB you wanna use
Did this app appear?
Chris
Josiah

Multiple Libraries?

Post by Josiah »

I have a home computer and a laptop. I would like to keep my main library on my home computer. I would like to also have a smaller library on my laptop, but only use it when I am away from home. I think that Onkel Enno's script will solve my problem by allowing me to switch between my "Home" and "Mobile" music collection. I have altered the ini file manually using UNC Paths and both ways work, but only the local DB works with the script. I would also like my "Mobile" configuration to monitor my local drive, but I want this to turn off when I am using my "Home" DB so the songs on my laptop aren't added to my main library.
Peke

Post by Peke »

@chrisjj
After that post someone released script that will start MM with different Lib. But I could eventually look to make one, this app dev is moved to another project, but I could see what can be done.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
chrisjj

Post by chrisjj »

> After that post someone released script that will start MM with different
> Lib.

After that release, MM3 came out and some have reported failure with MM3.

> I could see what can be done.

Thanks. I for one would much prefer the feature to be built-in to MM.
Chris
Peke

Post by Peke »

I Think it should be separate app, something else is for build in feature.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
drichm

Post by drichm »

From my post on this thread on Wed Aug 17, 2005
... could at least a command line option be added to MM to define the location of MediaMonkey.ini

Then for each .ini file we can define a different DBName= location.
I really do not see how this can be so hard to do, or how it would 'distract' developers from other tasks.

It is not a full implementation of multiple libraries as wanted by many, but it does avoid the need for scripts to switch databases (instead setup Windows shortcuts with INI arguments) and provides enough of a solution for many people.

Dave
MusicBringer

Post by MusicBringer »

drichm wrote:From my post on this thread on Wed Aug 17, 2005
... could at least a command line option be added to MM to define the location of MediaMonkey.ini
Then for each .ini file we can define a different DBName= location.
I really do not see how this can be so hard to do, or how it would 'distract' developers from other tasks.
It is not a full implementation of multiple libraries as wanted by many, but it does avoid the need for scripts to switch databases (instead setup Windows shortcuts with INI arguments)
and provides enough of a solution for many people.
I have to agree with that. And it sounds straight forward to me, but I am no programmer.
redelephant

Multiple libraries

Post by redelephant »

nohitter151 wrote: Then allow me to ask a Serious question - why are people unwilling to accept workarounds and scripts, instead expecting everything to immediately be available as native program functionality. The devs have a lot to worry about already and it takes time to implement new features.

Did you miss the script/workaround listed in this very thread?
http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... c&start=30
Surely the point of the "Wishlist" is for people to say what they would like to see in future releases??

....and it seems to me that a lot of people would like multiple libraries, although I have not seen any evidence of of anyone "expecting everything to immediately be available".
kdeemer

Post by kdeemer »

I'm using MM 3.0 and just installed the onkel_enno script. I created two new mdb files and I can see that the SelectLibrary routine causes a change to the DBNAME variable within MediaMonkey.ini. However, it has absolutely NO EFFECT on MediaMonkey. No matter which mdb file I select, the results are identical. If I clear out all of the library of one, they are all cleared out. If I add tracks to one, they are added to all of them. Even if I change all mdb extensions to tmp, SelectLibrary will choke, but MM will load and run just fine. It is obviously pointing to an entirely different database, but I have no idea where. It isn't pointing to the one in the mediamonkey.ini file. I've searched my entire system for other mdb files and there aren't any.

Note MM is installed in C:\Program Files\MediaMonkey
There is a MediaMonkey.ini file in this directory with two lines only:
[out_ds]
cfg_total_time=18912

My database files are in C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\My Music\MediaMonkey.
There is also a MediaMonkey.ini file in this directory, that has all of the program parameters and receives the updated DBNAME location.

Even though I have been creating and renaming the mdb files in this directory, none shows a modification date of today. They all show a date about 2 weeks ago.

There is another MediaMonkey.mdb file in the directory with the program files, but it shows a modification date of 12/21/05. It has also been renamed to an extension of tmp

Can anyone tell me what might be happening??