Browse by Album Art

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

DaledeSilva

Post by DaledeSilva »

I like the slider idea...
ACDSEE image viewer does this also and I use it all the time.

it's actually the same as being able to type in a "display number of images horizontally" except that it's far more efficient and userfriendly. It's much quicker to constantly change sizes for viewing with different purposes.

To handle this, I would suggest not necessarily showing the images resizing while the slider is being held down and slid, but rather, show basic outlines of square to indicate the size and how many will be showing on each line.
It needs to show this, because it's 'live feedback' is what makes it more efficient than just typing in a number.

Dale.
Product Designer & Indie Developer.
Building at the intersection of motion, art, and code.
Find me on twitter and all the other ones here.
Linkowich

Post by Linkowich »

Maybe something like this?

(click image for full size)
DaledeSilva

Post by DaledeSilva »

I'm not sure exactly what you're referring to... I think it's the subtle boxes...

yeah.. I thnk they're cool.. and the boxes also help to indicate what image each text block relates to (so does the space in between each row).

good one.
paulmt

Post by paulmt »

Why not an option to select a field that shows the art, to a pre-determed size - maybe 50x50

That way you can still have all the other info' from the standard library fields e.g track name, artist, rating etc in the familiar library or now playing layout.

Just a thought

Post by Guest »

do you mean a node in the navigation tree?
paulmt

Post by paulmt »

Anonymous wrote:do you mean a node in the navigation tree?
Ummm if you meant me :-)

No, I meant in the standard now playing view, another option "album view" could be selected which would still show all the normal stuff, song title, Album, Album Artisit etc but would have a small pic of the album art picked up from the tag.

I have no idea if this is possible, though I can't see why not.

This is not a true album view as is being suggested,but what I think could be faster, and obviously this would mean more than one line per song, hence the need to keep it small-ish (could be enlarged by clickin on it??

I think it answers my requirements, data and album all on one page.

Like this example

killercup

album arts like itunes 7

Post by killercup »

something like this http://www.apple.com/itunes/jukebox/coverflow.html would be nice in mediamonkey. its a good way to explore the library.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Yeah, I saw that this week and it seems nice. Speed is a main concern with these graphics intensive applications. There is a Windows variant of coverflow but it requires Windows Vista.
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

The rendering of the images would certainly take a lot of processor, and I'm not sure I see any real advantage to it. Bells and whistles aren't always a good idea! :)
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
charlieMOGUL

Cover Flow

Post by charlieMOGUL »

Cover Flow looks like raising the bar once again in visual interface 'ease' by Apple. Although I know that MediaMonkey is great in complex functions and managing a large media library, I certainly would love that graphical Browse Album Art interface in MediaMonkey...
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Have you checked out the Win Vista version? It looked like it had some speed issues, which is the most worrying about this feature. It should still be useful on large libraries, which is currently where MediaMonkey outshines other software.
DaledeSilva

Post by DaledeSilva »

Hey Guys,

you may have noticed me asking alot of questions lately regarding scripting... I've actually started working on a script that, using flash, is intended to create something similar to "cover flow" in itunes - as mentioned above.

I'm doing a little bit per day but I have alot of freelance on at the moment so it's usually very little per day.

just wanted to let you know that something's being worked on.

I will do my best to achieve what itunes has graphically.. but the ability to rotate images on perspective is not viable in flash for this kind of project... so while it may move similar to cover flow (because its useability is quite good).. it wont have the 3d effects on it... I also have a bunch of different view modes and functionality options in mind.

It's also in a dockable window - so it's a bit of a different angle to "Browse by Art" by Trixmoto.... which is very useful in its own right... also.. because this is flash.. it's going to be far less cpu friendly.

all that being said... it's only in preliminary stages... when it's progressed far enough, in my opinion, I will start a thread for it...

Having fun,
Dale.
pah68

Post by pah68 »

Show 'em all that Aussie ingenuity mate :wink:
DaledeSilva

Post by DaledeSilva »

ha ha.. nice one