HDCD Decoding/Ripping support

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

Peke

Re: HDCD Decoding/Ripping support

Post by Peke » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:54 am

Hi,
Unfortunately till now I have not ever seen and HDCD nor WAV Files Ripped from HDCDs to test and play with.

If you have one please Send me DL link in PM and I can check what can be done?
Best regards,
Pavle
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to add SCREENSHOTS to forum

Nigel Bennett

Re: HDCD Decoding

Post by Nigel Bennett » Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:16 am

Hi, I am interested in having HDCD playback from some FLAC files I have that are encoded with HDCD. I note that you have asked for some files from users so you can test compatibility. Have you received any yet as I have some FLAC files I can send you. If you still need please let me know where I can attach.

Thanks,

Peke

Post by Peke » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:06 pm

Hi,
You can use and cloud or file sharing service to send me Download link in PM, but MMW already support FLAC files, so I would be more interested in native HDCD file format than FLAC.

For Example Dolby Atmos in handled with third party app license on latest Win 10 versions. I wonder if similar case is with HDCD and thus need for native file.
Best regards,
Pavle
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to add SCREENSHOTS to forum

feline1

Post by feline1 » Thu May 30, 2019 2:56 pm

I realised today that I own a Roxy Music CD that is a 'HDCD' (I have owned it for years and not noticed :lol: I had to look up on wikipedia what it was!)

The one I have is this one https://www.discogs.com/Roxy-Music-Viva ... se/1422434
As you can see on Discogs, they can be bought second-hand for trivial amounts of money...

It would be cool if MediaMonkey could natively rip such CDs to 24bit FLAC :)

jazzfreek

Post by jazzfreek » Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:28 pm

I also have many 24 bit Flac-HD files that I am wondering about. MM plays the file, but is it decoding the 24 bits or changing it first to 16 bits. I may be mistaken, but you need a BD player to decode 24 bit files, and you can't write 24 bit FLAC-HD files to a CD. My guess is you would need a BD disc? Perhaps a DVD? I know that when I record a CD from 24 bit FLAC-HD files it works just fine, but I'm sure they are being transferred into 16 bits first. I can listen to these files on the VLC player and it decodes them just fine. I really haven't been able to find much info on what MM is actually doing to these files when I play them. Any help or corrections to my assumptions would be great!