MM needs DLNA Controller, not rendered or server

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

RobinGB

MM needs DLNA Controller, not rendered or server

Post by RobinGB »

I and many others waited ages (from 2006) for DLNA in MM but what they released is not what the vast majority of us wanted, i.e. still no DLNA Controller (Play to) support in MM!

I really dont understand why effort was put into providing support in MM4 for the least usefull 2/3 of DLNA for MM (Server and Renderer functionality, but not Controller) . MM4 is a controller and organiser of music. Windows, Linux and NAS's provide loads of ways for DLNA renderers and controllers to access stored music so its not neaded in MM (although it is nice to have and better than nothing).

What is REALLY REALLY needed is for MM to be able to play music from more than just the PCs sound card! How can we get DLNA Controller (Play to) functionality in MM???

Help please as I feel the developers totally missunderstood the reason for the requests for MM to provide DLNA support :'(

RobinGB
Lowlander

Re: MM needs DLNA Controller, not rendered or server

Post by Lowlander »

I don't know why an existing topic wasn't chosen like you're supposed to, especially as in existing topics it already has been indicated that this is planned for a future release.
PhYrE

Post by PhYrE »

+1 on both posters
RobinGB

Post by RobinGB »

Hi Lowlander you have helped me several times in the past, thank you. I started this thread because a search for "DLNA Controller" on this forum currently returns only 1 thread carrying this title text, this thread. The term "DLNA Controller" is important because that is its official name as defined by the DLNA organisation, they defined "Controller", "Server" and "Renderer". Sadly many posters on this forum regarding DLNA do not stick to using these terms so it is difficult to quickly understand what they want.

Post by Guest »

RobinGB wrote:I and many others waited ages (from 2006) for DLNA in MM but what they released is not what the vast majority of us wanted, i.e. still no DLNA Controller (Play to) support in MM!

I really dont understand why effort was put into providing support in MM4 for the least usefull 2/3 of DLNA for MM (Server and Renderer functionality, but not Controller) . MM4 is a controller and organiser of music. Windows, Linux and NAS's provide loads of ways for DLNA renderers and controllers to access stored music so its not neaded in MM (although it is nice to have and better than nothing).

What is REALLY REALLY needed is for MM to be able to play music from more than just the PCs sound card! How can we get DLNA Controller (Play to) functionality in MM???

Help please as I feel the developers totally missunderstood the reason for the requests for MM to provide DLNA support :'(

RobinGB
+1
ecser99

Post by ecser99 »

+1
I spend some time organizing my music collection with MM (it is stored on a NAS, not on the notebook), it would be nice to simply send the music to a renderer (like a sonos player etc.) and listen to it on a quality music system instead of the notebook...
That is exactly, what a DLNA Controller in MM could do. When you press play in MM you could chose "play via DLNA renderer ....".
Possible DLNA setup:
DLNA server: my NAS with the music files
DLNA renderer: my sonos player
DLNA Contorller: MM (?)
This would mean, that the music goes directly to the player from the NAS, does not go through the notebook. The MM only controlls this as a DLNA controller.
jiri

Post by jiri »

Note that this is planned for MM 4.1.

Jiri
benben

Post by benben »

+1
I completely second the request from TS. MM should be a DLNA controller. That is really the DLNA functionality for MM that makes sense. I really feel that the current DLNA support for MM has been a complete waste of development time. Almost every day I check the MM site to see if MM 4.1 is already available. Could you let us known how much longer we will have to wait?
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

benben wrote:+1
I completely second the request from TS. MM should be a DLNA controller. That is really the DLNA functionality for MM that makes sense. I really feel that the current DLNA support for MM has been a complete waste of development time. Almost every day I check the MM site to see if MM 4.1 is already available. Could you let us known how much longer we will have to wait?
Beta testing will begin after the 4.0.5 release.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
benben

Post by benben »

nohitter151 wrote:
benben wrote:+1
Beta testing will begin after the 4.0.5 release.
Thanks for the update.

Currently we are at 4.0.3, so I presume we have to wait for 4.0.4 first before 4.0.5 is released. If there are a few months between each release it sounds we will have to wait at least for another half a year before DLNA controller functionality is available. I think I will start looking for an alternative then. That is really a shame because I really really like MM. It is such a great music organizer. What would make more sense than to have MM push your music to a DLNA enabled receiver? I am repeating myself and TS but I really cannot understand why the development time was invested in the other DLNA functionality first.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

4.0.5 is in beta testing right now and available in the Beta Forum.
benben wrote:I am repeating myself and TS but I really cannot understand why the development time was invested in the other DLNA functionality first.
Because many wouldn't want to have to go to the computer to be able to use DLNA content on their TV's/stereos. I wouldn't want to in most situations and yes I do really want this ability to control clients from MM.
billg

Post by billg »

Its most unfortunate we had to wait so long for the "play to capability. I think MM is the best/easiest library manager Ive used. I have the PS Audio PWD network dac and push music files to it via ethernet (not via the PC soundcard) so I had to find something else.

I now use jriver which is fantastic audiophile software. It also manages (and plays) your visual media so you can play to a receiver or dlna TV.
It's well worth the money. But not all meta data will tranfer to Jriver unless you're careful how you set it up. MediaMonkey folks have missed the market with this one.
Francois

Post by Francois »

It's been a while since there has been any posts on this topic. I see indications were that beta testing for DLNA controller would start with version 4.0.5. Did this happen? Is the functionality available for testing in 4.0.5? Or should we wait for 4.1? If so, when is it expected to be released?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

4.1 allows you to play to a DLNA client. 4.1 has been out for a long time: http://www.mediamonkey.com/news/2014/02 ... -released/