ability to NOT cache covers

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

dr_snuggles

ability to NOT cache covers

Post by dr_snuggles »

so i just decided to update from 4.0 beta to newest beta and while migrating the old settings and files to the new portable install i found a 1 gb collection of covers cache in my portable folder 0o nothing unusual so far, except for the massive increase of files.
the strange thing was the covers were saved per track and not per album, eg had a name scheme like 'artist - title (turncated to x characters) followed by what seems a hash containing digits and letters .bmp'

i found a very old thread for mm3 containing a hint of adding 'dontusecoverchache=1' to the ini for disabling it.
apparently that doesnt solve it on mm4 so i created this 'request'.

1. is it likely to be implemented or will it stay mandatory? for people having all covers in the songfolder rather than in tag this might be a better solution than creating thousands of cached files.

2. what if i retag several files (change artist or title), will that just create the same cover file with a different name again when played or will the old hash be used?

cheers
Lowlander

Re: ability to NOT cache covers

Post by Lowlander »

The cache is used to speed up display of Artwork in the Filelisting. It is often a smaller version of the original (especially useful if you use large Artwork). I guess it has been changed to per track due to some users storing different Artwork per Track. If you change Artwork in files it should also be updated in the cache.
dr_snuggles

Re: ability to NOT cache covers

Post by dr_snuggles »

right, it may be handy.

just asking if a user that doesnt want covers cached can turn it off in the future as it was in the past...