Level volume also for MP3 cd's?

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

Frankie

Level volume also for MP3 cd's?

Post by Frankie »

Hi everybody,
first of all congratulations to Monkey 2.5, it's a brilliant update. Especially the new burning feature for data cd's is very useful for me.

But I'm missing a volume levelling option for mp3 cd's. I only analyze the volume level for my mp3 files because I don't want them to be changed physically. But my DVD player should play the files with the same volume level. Therefore it would be useful to level the files before they are burnt to the disc.

A workaround is to create a copy of the files and to level them physically before burning them. But it would be easier if Mediamonkey could do this for me automatically.

Cheers
Frankie :D
onkel_enno

Post by onkel_enno »

I mentionted this a few times, for mp3-CDs and synchronizing with a mp3-player, but the developers don't seem to find that usefull :-?
jiri

Post by jiri »

No, it isn't so. I think it would be useful, the reason it didn't get into MM 2.5 was that we weren't sure how to design this feature. It seems to be quite straightforward, but there are problems in how to handle non-mp3 formats, how to design UI then so that it's simple and understandable, etc.

Anyway, we hope to implement it soon.

Jiri
onkel_enno

Post by onkel_enno »

jiri wrote:No, it isn't so.
I only thought so, because I never got an answer! :roll:
Exaxxion

Post by Exaxxion »

Jiri, it is my understanding that the latest version of MMG has the ability to synch tracks to Portable Media Devices (PMD) with the ability to adhere to specific guidelines, i.e. converting files to different formats and/or bitrates.

Instead of creating an entirely new interface, wouldn't it be simpler to implement a version of the above interface that uses a "Virtual PMD", located in the Windows Temporary Files Directory (WTFD) or a user-defined alternative location, that first converts the file as specified, places it into the WTFD or specified location, burns it to the disc, then removes the copy from the temporary directory? This way, the original file remains intact, and there is only a temporary addition of data to the HDD.

Just a thought. I don't know how feasible this really is, but it seems that this would work.
jiri

Post by jiri »

Yes, something like this is planned for future versions, but my comment was regarding volume leveling, i.e. how to use volumen leveling during auto-conversions.

Jiri
Exaxxion

Post by Exaxxion »

I understand that you are trying to automate the process of volume leveling while converting, and to the best of my knowledge, what I said applies to that process. My proposition, however, was directed more to Frankie's post:
But I'm missing a volume levelling option for mp3 cd's. I only analyze the volume level for my mp3 files because I don't want them to be changed physically. But my DVD player should play the files with the same volume level. Therefore it would be useful to level the files before they are burnt to the disc.

A workaround is to create a copy of the files and to level them physically before burning them. But it would be easier if Mediamonkey could do this for me automatically.
The process I described would solve Frankie's problem, given that volume leveling is an option for the current MMG automated PMD synching. In the event that it is not, one would simply need to add the option into the interface. It would only need to automate the leveling with specified delimiters after a copy had been made. The rest of the process could be left to the minor changes that would create the virtual version of the automated Portable Media Device Synchronization.
NukeRiskGuy

Re: Level volume also for MP3 cd's?

Post by NukeRiskGuy »

Has this feature ever been implemented?

I am using Version 3.0.4.1185 Gold.

Thanks in advance,
NukeRiskGuy
nohitter151

Re: Level volume also for MP3 cd's?

Post by nohitter151 »

NukeRiskGuy wrote:Has this feature ever been implemented?

I am using Version 3.0.4.1185 Gold.

Thanks in advance,
NukeRiskGuy
Yes - when you're at the 2nd step of the "Burning wizard" see the "Auto-convert audio format" options at the bottom of the screen.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.