Debug as hidden option instead of separate version

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

dolf-volkoff

Debug as hidden option instead of separate version

Post by dolf-volkoff »

I'd like to have the debug functionality in the regular version as a hidden option, that you can turn on and off, instead of a separate version.
My reasons for this are:
  • When you have a bug in your installed version, there's no guarantee that it will be in the debug portable version, or that you'll be able to set all the settings in the debug version like you did in your regular version a while ago to replicate the nasty bug.

The only thing you know at that point is: you're having a bug in this specific installation and you'd like to get it fixed with as little frustration as possible. And installing and setting up a debug version seems like a lot of frustration to me just to help the developers fix their own product, if you're not getting paid for it.
  • The current state of things divides the users into hardcore teststers, that always have the debug version handy, and those who won't ever be arsed to help any living thing on this planet. But what about those who don't usually do testing/debugging, but when they have a bug, could help, if the helping process isn't too cryptic?
  • It not only would be more convenient for the on-spot debugging, but, I'd imagine, for packaging and releasing, too.
I've seen a lot of programs that have the built in hidden debugger, and I think it's a much better way than a separate debug version.
Mizery_Made

Re: Debug as hidden option instead of separate version

Post by Mizery_Made »

You can install the debug version on top of your already installed version, enabling the debug ability with your current environment. No need to go through trouble of setting up settings to match, etc. Done debuging? Then install the non-debug version over top again to remove said functionality. I'm not the most knowledgeable about the programming side of things, but I've got the impression that they are separated for reduced code in the non-debug version and smoother performance since that extra coding isn't in there.
dolf-volkoff

Post by dolf-volkoff »

If you ever tried to completely uninstall Mediamonkey, you know how horrible it is at cleaning up it's stuff. There are a lot of extra files/registry settings that you need to clean with your own hands (some of important stuff isn't even mentioned in the wiki guidelines). This means that every installation-over process inevitably will create some garbage on your PC, which then will only grow with each installation.

Extra coding only gives the extra background debugging process(es), which you don't want running on usual basis. If you could turn the process(es) on/off from within Mediamonkey, there wouldn't be any downsides. And keeping the option hidden and disabled by default would mean that users won't be able to enable it by accident.
Mizery_Made wrote:I'm not the most knowledgeable about the programming side of things, but I've got the impression that they are separated for reduced code in the non-debug version and smoother performance since that extra coding isn't in there.
There are things in Mediamonkey that were badly designed in the first place and now cause problems. Keeping an unneeded debug version is one them. Keeping two versions can lead to the situation where one version can have a bug due to some glitch in the installer and the other wouldn't have that glitch. And if the version with the glitch is the production version, you won't be able to make the debug test.
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

This happens with a lot of sw .. either use a very bad installer or an attempt to save information you might want in the future.

I would suggest you get Revo Uninstaller Pro (i think they have a freeware version that isn't bad). It captures the whole install process and the uninstall is really quite good. Even MMW can't fool it (at least not yet :) ). It is the only way to install/uninstall and keep a pretty clean system.
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

Another good uninstaller is IOBit Uninstaller (free and Portable).
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
MMW 4.1.31.1919; 5.0.4.2690 || back it up...frequently!
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
"The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth"
😜
dolf-volkoff

Post by dolf-volkoff »

dtsig wrote:This happens with a lot of sw .. either use a very bad installer or an attempt to save information you might want in the future.

I would suggest you get Revo Uninstaller Pro (i think they have a freeware version that isn't bad). It captures the whole install process and the uninstall is really quite good. Even MMW can't fool it (at least not yet :) ). It is the only way to install/uninstall and keep a pretty clean system.
MMFrLife wrote:Another good uninstaller is IOBit Uninstaller (free and Portable).
What does all this have to do with anything?
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

We're not trying to take away from the focus of your request. It's just a side note/suggestion
if you're also, in the meantime, having issues with cleaning some of the stuff up.

So, it has to do with "something" even if it has nothing to do with what you are wishing. :wink:
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
MMW 4.1.31.1919; 5.0.4.2690 || back it up...frequently!
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
"The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth"
😜
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

dolf-volkoff wrote:I'd like to have the debug functionality in the regular version as a hidden option, that you can turn on and off, instead of a separate version
Ok to be on point .. In some languages having all the debug logic including linemarks vars etc make programs larger and slower. There obviously some debut logic as it will prompt for info and send an email to mm. Even when mmw will continue (though should restart as can).
So there are reasons depending on environment an tools they are using.
For me I run the debug version on my boxes
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
dolf-volkoff

Post by dolf-volkoff »

dtsig wrote:Ok to be on point .. In some languages having all the debug logic including linemarks vars etc make programs larger and slower.
As to my knowledge, in any language you can have files that won't be used in certain situations depending on how you program it. So when the debug is turned off, it won't be able to slow the program down.

And the size probably would be just a few kilobytes larger than the size of current debug versions, so, it won't matter much.

So, in the end it still comes down to design. If they can cut the debug parts out, they surely can just programmatically turn them off.
dtsig wrote:There obviously some debut logic as it will prompt for info and send an email to mm. Even when mmw will continue (though should restart as can).
Um... I can't quite understand what you mean. What should send email to mm, through what and what for?