Feature request - 'Display artist' field

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

JOEUK

Feature request - 'Display artist' field

Post by JOEUK »

Would be great to have an option for MMW (and MMA if possible) similar to one in the programme 'MusicBee' for having a separate 'Display artist' field. For example the display artist field would be 'Mark Ronson (Featuring Bruno Mars)' whilst the artist field would be 'Mark Ronson; Bruno Mars'.
Mizery_Made

Re: Feature request - 'Display artist' field

Post by Mizery_Made »

I've requested similar in the past. I forget what program I suggested similar implementation to however. My "work-around" was to do this: "Artist 1; ft.; Artist 2" as then I get the multi-artist functionality, while still maintaining main/featured artist(s) designation. The only "drawback" is the errant "ft." artist. Haha.
JOEUK

Post by JOEUK »

Nice idea Mizery_Made. Glad to know I'm not the only one who would like this feature (without having songs by the ubiquitous artist "ft." haha)
rivorson

Post by rivorson »

On the plus side, having a 'ft.' artist gives you a quick way of selecting all tracks with a guest artist. That's a very good workaround.
JOEUK

Post by JOEUK »

True, I hadn't thought of that. Not sure it would be an option I would select very often though.
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

JOEUK wrote:Would be great to have an option for MMW (and MMA if possible) similar to one in the programme 'MusicBee' for having a separate 'Display artist' field. For example the display artist field would be 'Mark Ronson (Featuring Bruno Mars)' whilst the artist field would be 'Mark Ronson; Bruno Mars'.
If I understand correctly, you're saying:
Album Artist = Mark Ronson, Artist = Mark Ronson; Bruno Mars or just Bruno Mars, Display Artist = Mark Ronson (Featuring Bruno Mars) ?
Mizery_Made wrote:My "work-around" was to do this: "Artist 1; ft.; Artist 2" as then I get the multi-artist functionality, while still maintaining main/featured artist(s) designation. The only "drawback" is the errant "ft." artist.
Is the problem you are referring to that, it would create a huge "eye sore" chunk of "ft.(s)" in the tree?
The only thing I've ever thought of doing for terms that would create atypical flow is to put a "Z" in front of them (Z ft. xxx) so they would all be together at the end and not
cause a split in the alphabet higher up.

Someone please let me know if I'm way off. Sounds like something I've been interested in myself for a long time.
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
MMW 4.1.31.1919; 5.0.4.2690 || back it up...frequently!
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
"The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth"
😜
Mizery_Made

Post by Mizery_Made »

In my example of "Artist 1; ft.; Artist 2", it would create three artists in the tree. One for "Artist 1", another for "Artist 2", and then you would have an 'artist' for "ft.". Not too intrusive, and not like you're going to have something like "ft. Artist 1", "ft. Artist 2", etc. in the tree. It just wouldn't be formatted as "Artist 1 (featuring Artist 2)" in the artist field. It started as a workaround to achieve something like the original request (of a display artist), but honestly it doesn't really bother me much anymore.
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

Mizery_Made wrote:In my example of "Artist 1; ft.; Artist 2", it would create three artists in the tree. One for "Artist 1", another for "Artist 2", and then you would have an 'artist' for "ft.". Not too intrusive, and not like you're going to have something like "ft. Artist 1", "ft. Artist 2", etc. in the tree. It just wouldn't be formatted as "Artist 1 (featuring Artist 2)" in the artist field. It started as a workaround to achieve something like the original request (of a display artist), but honestly it doesn't really bother me much anymore.
So, you just add/split (;) all the names naturally, without any pre-name identifier?
Forgive me if I'm still confused. Could you write out names as they would appear in the tree, like:

xxxx

xxxx

xxxx
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
MMW 4.1.31.1919; 5.0.4.2690 || back it up...frequently!
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
"The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth"
😜
Bello

Post by Bello »

I would also like to have an additional field to devide Interprets and choosing it as Tree Node.
Feat., Duett and so on mess up the tree.
I know that it is possible to devide the Interprets by ";".
But then you're loosing the orignial Information and I don't like to store it in the Title field.

Next Thing is if you use ";" at the Interpret field, you are not able to search for it.
And if you want to upload these Songs e.g. to Google Play you have the "wrong" Interpret.
Kind regards,
Bello
(Gold Licence since 2006)