Easy Sync speedup: Playlist Update Schedule

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

toyzrme

Easy Sync speedup: Playlist Update Schedule

Post by toyzrme »

My more complex playlists take hours to sync (3-5 hours). Thus, I can't use auto-sync, and have to have dedicated time to do the sync.

So I would love to be able to set some kind of "schedule" on the play list updates.

This could take different forms:
1) "Pre-compute Schedule": my PC stays on all the time. So if I normally sync when I get home from work at 6:00, pre-compute the sync set at a given time (say, 3pm) so it's ready to go at 6

2) "Update Schedule": for each Playlist, indicate how often I want it updated (once/day, 3 days, week, month, etc.). Thus, I could have my fast playlists update frequently (every sync), while my complex/slow ones only once a week or month.

This would be even more appropriate if each playlist was bookmarked on a device (i.e. if my phone would keep track of which track it's on for Playlist #1, vs. which track it's on for Playlist #2, etc.). My most complex playlist (not longest, but most nested) works out to ~2,200 tracks, so it takes me weeks to play through (i.e. before I would need it updated).

Another way this could be done is as a percentage change: i.e. if the tracklist was X% different than the last time. However, you'd have to compute the playlist repeatedly to test the condition - unless you added "Pre-compute Schedule" as above :-)

Other performance ideas:
"Metadata Only Sync" - THAT I would use with "auto update on connect", so that the "Last Played Date" & Count were very current. This would make the "pre-compute" much more accurate.

"Network Metadata Sync" - since Metadata is lightweight, it could be sync'd over the cellular network. This would make "Pre-computing" the sync set almost perfectly up-to-date if it were scheduled automatically. Or, the network metadata sync could trigger the re-computing of playlists... :-)
Environment:
MMW: ~25,000 tracks, MM.DB on 16Gbps PCIe SSD (Samsung 950 Pro) - up-to-date, not Beta
MMA: ~12,000 tracks sync'd to phone - up-to-date, not Beta
PC: Windows 10/64, Skylake quad+HT @4.2GHz, 64GB RAM, 14TB RAID6
Phone: Galaxy S10 (128GB) + 400GB mSD card (Samsung EVO+)
Sync: all tracks rated >=3 sync'd to phone
.........all playlists only use tracks rated >=3
.........thus sync'ing is 99.99% playlist update - no tracks are sync'd, other than new purchases
Playlists: ~59 synced
..........most are auto-playlists
..........use attributes Rating, Last Played, Date recorded, Genre, Genre "contains", Path "contains"
..........many are nested, i.e. "Top AutoPlaylist" includes "Level 2 AutoPL #1" + "Level 2 AutoPL #2" etc.
toyzrme

Re: Easy Sync speedup: Playlist Update Schedule

Post by toyzrme »

Is anyone else having this problem of hours-long syncs?
Environment:
MMW: ~25,000 tracks, MM.DB on 16Gbps PCIe SSD (Samsung 950 Pro) - up-to-date, not Beta
.........thus sync'ing is 99.99% playlist update - no tracks are sync'd, other than new purchases
..........use attributes Rating, Last Played, Date recorded, Genre, Genre "contains", Path "contains"
..........many are nested, i.e. "Top AutoPlaylist" includes "Level 2 AutoPL #1" + "Level 2 AutoPL #2" etc.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Complex AutoPlaylist shouldn't lead to a longer sync (of the actual files), but will take longer to compute the sync list on sync start. If sync seems too slow you should make sure you're using the latest 4.1.14 release and run File > Maintain Library with complete optimization checked. If that fails capture the sync in a debug log (step 4b) and send the log to support: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=69
toyzrme

Post by toyzrme »

FYI I am on the latest (4.1.14), and run complete optimize every few months (it only takes a couple of seconds on the PCIe SSD).

Submitted a couple of logs last month - hopefully you found something useful in them.
Environment: