Copied Playlists to MicroSD - Many Problems

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

NorthernHarrier

Copied Playlists to MicroSD - Many Problems

Post by NorthernHarrier »

I just tried syncing my playlists to a microSD card for the first time, to see if I can get them in the right directory in the right form. I don't yet have a digital music player, but I intend to use the card in a new player - if I can get the files synced to the card correctly. There are multiple problems with the result: duplicate playlists, a folder for each CD title in the playlists is now in the root directory (why?), and some playlists have a second or third musician listed as the title instead of the musician I typed as the name of the playlist.

The first items listed in the root directory on the card are folders for every CD title loaded into my playlists. Are these folders supposed to be there? I have no idea. Why are they there? I asked the program to sync only my playlists.

I assumed a folder would appear on the card for each playlist. Instead, there is a folder listed for every CD title, and below all those folders are files playlist titles. In many cases there appear to be duplicate playlists with the same playlist name appended by a "-1" In other cases, there are playlists with the wrong title (I named my playlists with the artist name, and some of theme appear to be named after the 2nd or 3rd artist in the group - not the name I chose for the playlist). Will the playlists show up correctly on the device in which I intend to use this microSD card? I have no idea.

I have never used MediaMonkey or tried to do this before. I did the following to set the preferences in MediaMonkey: I selected to have playlists sync, I selected to have files synced to the root directory of the microSD card, I selected that the files in the playlists be in the m3U8 form, and I selected that relative pathways be used. Is there anything I needed to do that I did not do to make this work OK? Do I need to get rid of the duplicate playlists somehow? How do I sync the playlists so that their correct names are on the microSD card playlists?

I am very frustrated, as I have no other information about how to make MediaMonkey work to sync playlists to my microSD card, so I can use it when I buy a new audio player (I do not have one yet). Any help you can provide will be appreciated. If you can't help, please tell me where I can get help. Thanks!
Lowlander

Re: Copied Playlists to MicroSD - Many Problems

Post by Lowlander »

MediaMonkey syncs the files to the device as you instruct it to. Folder/filename structure is set in the Device Profile (Tools > Options > Portable Device Sync) using Masks. For example \<Playlist>\ will create a Playlist folder.

MediaMonkey can also create Playlists for Artists and Albums on sync (depends on sync selection) and this may have occurred. This is also set in the Device Profile.
Bob_m_54

Post by Bob_m_54 »

Are you talking about playlists, which are only text files listing the music files to be played, or are you talking about syncing the actual music files. It seems like you have a terminology confusion. A SD card with only playlists on it has nothing to play, you need the actual music files (mp3, flac etc) on it as well.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Bob_m_54 wrote:Are you talking about playlists, which are only text files listing the music files to be played, or are you talking about syncing the actual music files. It seems like you have a terminology confusion. A SD card with only playlists on it has nothing to play, you need the actual music files (mp3, flac etc) on it as well.
If you select playlists only in device profile MMW will sync files from the playlists also as like you noted if playlists are only synced then there woud not be a files to play.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Bob_m_54

Post by Bob_m_54 »

Hi Peke, the reason I asked was that many people incorrectly use the term "playlist" when they are actually talking about their music files. That is, they talk about copying a playlist to a device, when what they really did was copy a group of files to the device.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
You are right, that is why I wanted to make things clear.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts