Controlling Multi-Room Systems (Bluesound; Sonos; etc.)

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

Seti

Controlling Multi-Room Systems (Bluesound; Sonos; etc.)

Post by Seti » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:03 pm

Will MM5 be able to control Multi-Room Systems like Bluesound, Sonos etc.?
It must be feared that many People who buy Multi-Room System will or have to say good bye to MediaMonkey, because (as I know) one can´t connect MM to a Multi-Room System. Other Software from the producers or 3rd Party such as Roon Labs can do.
MM has many advantages over other Music-Managers in organizing music collections and making playlists and and and. But I fear, that won´t help in future, if MM won´t support Multi-Room Systems. (Thank you for your sorry for my bad english)

Lowlander

Re: Controlling Multi-Room Systems (Bluesound; Sonos; etc.)

Post by Lowlander » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:07 pm

The problem is that many of the multi-room solutions are proprietary. Getting simultaneous playback on multiple devices is technically challenging (especially when from different manufacturers). With proprietary solutions lack of APIs, Licensing, user base and long term viability (the past is littered with failed solutions) can prevent Third Parties from adopting them, even if that happens it still is often tied to a single manufacturer.

MediaMonkey 5 can do DLNA (as MediaMonkey 4) which can stream different music to many devices at a time (but not the same stream to many devices), it can do Bluetooth if PC has it and Chromecast (Chromecast Audio provides multi-room feature). The first 2 are industry standards and Chromecast is adopted by some (like Sony) into their hardware. I believe that some multi-room solutions can take a Bluetooth or DLNA stream and using proprietary tech stream it to multiple devices of the same manufacturer (like Sony).
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)