Custome fields in comment field

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

gtbuzz

Custome fields in comment field

Post by gtbuzz »

This occurred in MMa1 and in MMa4 when I rescanned my music, but the 1 of the custom fields or the quality field is also appearing in the comment field.

Also the "Disc #" does not appear to have been scanned back in, even though I filled it out in the early alphas.
Mizery_Made

Post by Mizery_Made »

The "Comment = Custom #" problem is still present in MM3A7. If there is only Custom 1 info, it's present in the Comment field aswell as the proper field, if a file has both Custom 1 & 2, then 2 is placed in the Comment field.
jiri

Post by jiri »

How exactly do you reproduce this? What formats, mp3 only? Tested in My Computer node? I can't reproduce...

Thanks,
Jiri
Mizery_Made

Post by Mizery_Made »

I copy over an MP3 (all my stuff is MP3) that has previously been tagged in MM2, complete with Custom 1 &/or 2 values. When scanning the file into MM3, the contents of the Custom Field is placed in the Comment Field.

Hmm, on further testing, it works fine as long as there is already something in the Comment Field, otherwise it uses data from the Custom Fields.

Here we go with a couple examples, same exact set of files in both MM2 & MM3, fresh databases in both, etc.:

Example 1:
Here we are in MM2 showing the "Basic Properties," as you can see, this Track has a Dummy Comment of "Will this survive the scan in MM3." I put this comment in this file purely for testing purposes.

Here goes a screen showing the "Classifications" tab, showing that it has data in both the Custom 1 & Custom 2 fields.

Here we go in MM3, same exact file from the MM2 screens, hasn't been altered, simply scanned in. As you'll notice, the comment is indeed intact. Nothing abnormal here.

Again, nothing really to note here, MM3 has performed wonderfully in importing this track.

Example 2:
Here we go with a second example, this one however has no comment added for testing purposes.

Unlike the first file, I have removed the data from the Custom 2 field, simply for testing purposes.

Same exact file, only in MM3, there we go, something in the Comment Field that wasn't present in the MM2 scan.

Upon going to the Classifications tab, you notice that the data shown in the comment field just a moment ago is indeed the data from the Custom 1 field.

Example 3:
Example 3 is a representative of most of my files. No commemnt.

Custom 1 & Custom 2 data.

In MM3, again, data is copied from the Custom fields, this time it's from the Custom 2 field, which seems to be in line with previous experience. If there's a 2 & 1, 2 seems to trump 1 while if there is only a 2 or 1, then it's present. I assume that if there was a 3, it would also trump both 2 & 1, but I've never tested that.

And heres the screen showing the Custom 1 & 2 data in MM3.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm sure there was an easier way of representing this, such as sending you both the MM2 & MM3 databases, or something... but... *Shrugs*. Anyway, if you need more info, just say so. This doesn't seem to be an isolated event because I can reproduce over and over with different albums (tagged in the same manor) and several 'Clean' databases.

EDIT: Just checked in MM3, under the My Computer node, pulling up the properties of a file that hasn't been scanned in will produce the same result. Custom Fields being placed in an Empty Comment Field.

EDIT 2: Toying with it more, I discovered something else about it. Once you have the files scanned into the library (and it has populated the empty comment field with Custom data.) then if you remove the comment data in MM3, you can then rescan all you want (even after resaving the tags in MM2) and all is fine. It seems the problem is on the initial import into the database (and in the My Computer Node for non-Library tracks).
gege

Post by gege »

Hi, jiri
I can confirm this happens to me too.
Exactly the way Mizery_Made described.
gtbuzz

Post by gtbuzz »

Great description Mizery_Made. My only addition is that is goes beyond the Custom Fields. If there are no custom fields then one of quality, occasion, mood, or tempo can also be put in the comment field.
judas

Post by judas »

I can confirm this has happened to me as well.
Cheers, judas
jiri

Post by jiri »

Thanks for the detailed description, it will be fixed in the next release.

Jiri