B4 and Vista - ignores an MM.ini file placed in its folder

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

ZPrime

B4 and Vista - ignores an MM.ini file placed in its folder

Post by ZPrime »

Maybe I'm doing this wrong; I was originally following the instructions for MM2, but then I realized that the DB format had changed for MM3.

I am running Vista, but I have UAC disabled and I'm an Administrator, so I have full access to Program Files and such.

The FAQ for MM2 says to put a add a line under [system] called DBName= and throw the database in there. I have my database on a network share, and I don't want to use a drive mapping, so I'm pointing to a UNC path.

I've tried adding the DBName value to mediamonkey.ini stored in %programfiles%\mediamonkey, but it seems to be ignoring my value. This is the documented way to move the DB on MM2.

The only way I can tell what DB file it is using is to do a "maintenance" and make sure it tries to compact the database, and then I can watch the last modified time on the files. (Is there an easier way to check the location of the .db?)

If I edit the mediamonkey.ini under "Local Settings" (c:\users\<me>\appdata\local on Vista) it DOES seem to be using the file on the network share.

So, either this is intended behavior on Vista (since UAC would normally prevent you from modifying a file there) or it's a bug. I'm inclined to lean towards bug -- MM should at least check for a .ini file there (even if it's read-only) so you can load a machine with "global settings" (like the DB location) even if the individual user stuff has to be in the profile folder.
Tsjeh

Post by Tsjeh »

ZPrime

Post by ZPrime »

I posted in that thread too.. I'm running current (1091) and it's still behaving differently than it does for v2.5. I'm not having problems with it "Deleting the line" from the mm.ini, it's just reading a totally different INI file than I expected it to.

if this is expected behavior, OK, but it doesn't seem very logical if it is.