U3 Flashdrive +MMrc2 [3887]

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

Izzmit

U3 Flashdrive +MMrc2 [3887]

Post by Izzmit »

I know this is rc2, but I didnt it this in the update list.
Insert a u3 flashdrive (memory stick) while MM3 is running, and My Computer/Explorer.exe crashes, and you have to hard reboot

Same reaction with starting MM3 while drive is already end. Things stop responding.

I only have 1 u3 drive to test it on, but if someone needs more tests/info let me know

tedtheknight@hotmail.com
warreni

same problem

Post by warreni »

I'm having the same problem with my U3 SanDisk CruzerMicro 2GB flash drive. This is what I personally use to sync tracks with MM (my wife has a Sansa c140 MP3 player). While it played well with the 2.5x version of MM, the new MM3 release candidates (I've used 2 and 3) cause crashes when you plug it in or otherwise try to access the drive from within the program. This is a very bad thing for me because, as I indicated, I was using MM to sync my drive. While I could not be lazy and just copy the music files myself, that's kinda part of the point of having the software.
monkeyman

Post by monkeyman »

I am having the same exact problem with my 4GB Sandisk Cruzer U3. Guess all U3s are affected?
monkeyman

Post by monkeyman »

monkeyman wrote:I am having the same exact problem with my 4GB Sandisk Cruzer U3. Guess all U3s are affected?
Is this issue isolated as no one else seems to be hitting it. Or at least the users of MM3, either they are not hitting it or they are not using U3 Flash devices?
Izzmit

Post by Izzmit »

Well, more and more drives are coming with u3 preinstalled. SanDisk is a huge provider of memory drives, and the majority of their new products come preinstalled with u3. This issue can only get worse
monkeyman

Post by monkeyman »

Izzmit wrote:Well, more and more drives are coming with u3 preinstalled. SanDisk is a huge provider of memory drives, and the majority of their new products come preinstalled with u3. This issue can only get worse
Most of the time, it just crashes MM and sometimes it will disconnect the U3 Flash improperly causing error message the next time that it was not disconnected properly the last time. Once I got a blue screen but it never re-occured since.
bremble

U3 Flashdrive +MMrc2 (and MM3)

Post by bremble »

I am also having this problem. It has to do with the U3 software, because when I plug a regular, non U3 flash drive in, there is no problem.

Generally, if one removes the U3 drive, the system will be ok, but if one is in the middle of doing something with MM3, the system will need to be re-booted.

I would also like to be able to sync using MM3 - disabling MM3 to load files copied to a temp file (which I have done as a workaround) seems backward. And since more of us will probably purchase U3 (or probably similar types), this should be addressed.
rusty

Instability with U3 devices

Post by rusty »

We'll have a U3 device tomorrow, and will hopefully get to the bottom of this.

-Rusty
Randall_Lind

Post by Randall_Lind »

Why the heck do you need software to use a pen drive, usb drive whatever you want to call them?

I just put my 1GB Kingston DataTraveler in and windows sees it and I am able to copy files too and from it.

I use it to keep a back uo if my quicken and any documents I may need.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

I've just bought U3 SanDisk CruzerMicro 1GB flash drive in order to reproduce your troubles and fix it, but all is working fine !

Could you please describe me a more exact steps to reproduce?
Does it happen always or is it an occasional issue?
Are you sure that this is 100% MM issue? (see http://www.u3.com/support/default.aspx#CQ1 or http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=207683 )
Could you generate a debug log?
Which OS do you use?

I'm using Win XP prof. SP2
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4000+ , 2.10 GHz
2 GB RAM
warreni

my issue

Post by warreni »

Ludek,

I'm not sure about a debug log, because the system tends to hang unless I physically yank the drive from the port, which isn't really a good idea.

This is a problem that did not occur when I was running the 2.5x version of MediaMonkey. I had no trouble running MM with the U3 drive attached or attaching it while MM was up. Now either way when I try to sync to the device , MediaMonkey freezes. It's pretty aggravating. And it occurs every time I try.

I'm running Win XP MCE SP2. I have a single-core Athlon running at about the same clock speed as yours (it's a 3500, I think), and 1Gb of system memory.

I'm sure this must be some kind of issue between MM and U3-enabled devices because this is the only software on my machine that seems to have this problem. I'm doubly sure because it's obviously not just me having the problem. I don't really understand the ins and outs of this because I'm not a programmer but something must have changed in the code between the 2.5 and 3 versions in connecting MTP devices that is causing a crash.
monkeyman

Re: my issue

Post by monkeyman »

warreni wrote:Ludek,

I'm not sure about a debug log, because the system tends to hang unless I physically yank the drive from the port, which isn't really a good idea.

This is a problem that did not occur when I was running the 2.5x version of MediaMonkey. I had no trouble running MM with the U3 drive attached or attaching it while MM was up. Now either way when I try to sync to the device , MediaMonkey freezes. It's pretty aggravating. And it occurs every time I try.

I'm running Win XP MCE SP2. I have a single-core Athlon running at about the same clock speed as yours (it's a 3500, I think), and 1Gb of system memory.

I'm sure this must be some kind of issue between MM and U3-enabled devices because this is the only software on my machine that seems to have this problem. I'm doubly sure because it's obviously not just me having the problem. I don't really understand the ins and outs of this because I'm not a programmer but something must have changed in the code between the 2.5 and 3 versions in connecting MTP devices that is causing a crash.
I am also getting this and it seems to be a software OS conflict which can be solved only when I remove my U3 device. I am using a 4GB Sandisk Cruzer Titanium
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Yes, this is most probably problem between U3 and our CD/DVD engine. We've upgraded our CD/DVD engine to the newest version so please check it out whether it solves the problem for you in RC4.

btw.
Do you have any additional software installed on your U3 device or do you use only the default set for Cruzer Micro?
monkeyman

Post by monkeyman »

Ludek wrote:Yes, this is most probably problem between U3 and our CD/DVD engine. We've upgraded our CD/DVD engine to the newest version so please check it out whether it solves the problem for you in RC4.

btw.
Do you have any additional software installed on your U3 device or do you use only the default set for Cruzer Micro?
I have additional software like EditPad and OpenOffice inside. However only the password manager is set to auto-start.
warreni

RC4 didn't fix this for me

Post by warreni »

Well, I have Roboform2Go set to auto-run when the drive is first attached to the system, but this problem occurs irrespective of whether I attach the drive while MM is already running or beforehand. When I attach it, I get an H drive that is the "U3 System" partition and an I drive that is the actual device. When I ran RC4 with the device attached to my system, the device list under My Computer showed the H drive but not the I drive. I don't know whether this helps any, but here's hoping!