MEDIAmonkey or just AUDIOmonkey ?...

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

sn0skier

Re: MEDIAmonkey or just AUDIOmonkey ?...

Post by sn0skier »

I think the video and music programs should run as separate programs, with the only integration being in syncing to devices. J River Media Center (AKA Media Center) tries to do A/V and it's just too much for one program to handle and stay organized.
last.fm signatures don't work anymore, which is sad. Any easy replacement?
Peke

Post by Peke »

One of the reasons why MM do not have Video support already.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
moiss

Post by moiss »

handling video and handling audio on a database is the same concept. why different solutions?

hardware is grown from mp3-audio-player to mp3-video-player. so software must do the same. most of them has done this. MM has slept to long, so the economic base is in danger. nobody uses a ipod, ... iphone-synch-software which can't handle video, in time of youtube...

sorry, I'm not a videofreak, I'm a MM-freak and would like to stay so in future. I don't really need video, but MM needs video or future development is off, because money is off.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

trust me it's coming 8)
not sure when but i'd be surprised if it is not in the next version.
just when the next version is set to be tested is unknown. :o
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
j-money

Post by j-money »

sn0skier wrote:I think the video and music programs should run as separate programs, with the only integration being in syncing to devices. J River Media Center (AKA Media Center) tries to do A/V and it's just too much for one program to handle and stay organized.
I don't know about that. Microsoft Zune does a decent job of organizing my music library, pics, playlist, and video/audio podcast. My only issue with it is the file editing and album art. Media Monkey could do it fine if they just tried.
Onweerwolf

Post by Onweerwolf »

I sincerely hope there will not be a video part to MM in the future and if it will I hope that it can be turned FULLY off when installing so that nothing can interfere with the audio part. Trying to integrate different stuff into one piece of software almost always results in bloated, slow, resource hogging crapware, like iTunes.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

Onweerwolf wrote:I sincerely hope there will not be a video part to MM in the future and if it will I hope that it can be turned FULLY off when installing so that nothing can interfere with the audio part. Trying to integrate different stuff into one piece of software almost always results in bloated, slow, resource hogging crapware, like iTunes.

agree'ed with that.

as a matter of fact there is in this thread or in another thread talk about putting two sections together with one control like a component system in the home stereo's. this would allow both those that want only audio and those that want both video and audio to be able to use monkey as the control unit. now if the developers are in fact doing that i don't know but they were also involed in that conversation. so they might be and that might be what is taking them so long to release the newest alpha testing versions if they are going to let us alpha test it. but i like this idea a lot since i don't load video's on the system they take up too much room but i could use a templete to type in the info of what i have in video and dvds sitting on my shelf's so monkey would that way be like a index file only for me. :D 8)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Onweerwolf wrote:Trying to integrate different stuff into one piece of software almost always results in bloated, slow, resource hogging crapware, like iTunes.
The key word here is "almost". We know MediaMonkey is different already from those other apps, and the reason that there is no video support yet is because they're going to do it the right way.

I think it's short-sighted to say that because no-one has done it well yet, that it can't be done. I fully trust the MM team to do things in a way that doesn't degrade the program.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
ian.sorbello

Post by ian.sorbello »

I see there are a lot of arguments with respect to the management of music - and keeping the purity and focus just on audio.
I get that.

But I think the driver to manage both audio and video come from specific needs. For example, I was drawn to MM because of MonkeyTunes - and the capability for MM to now be a target for the iPhone Remote application written by apple.

I use my HTPC primarily for video - and video is horrible in iTunes (well - more the limitation on QuickTime only formats)... So for me - just having the capability of importing video files and have them "executable" via my iPhone via MonkeyTunes in MM is such an awesome concept. But with no video support yet, plugins and MM extensibility is the way to go... (see: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =3&t=46137)

So I use MM for a completely different purpose than for music management (in fact I don't even play music through MM) - it amazes me just how we all use our setups differently and what is important to one means nothing to another.

All in all - thank heavens from MM - I love it. The extensibility and open model is awesome, and for a programmer like me, I'm more interested in this than using it as an excellent music manager!

ian.
Shiny Rabbit

Post by Shiny Rabbit »

I'll vote for video support and syncing for MediaMonkey, I'd also love to be able to convert videos and transfer them to my PSP and ipod as I please straight from MM rather than downloading them, converting them then dragging and dropping them to my PSP with different programs

Windows 7 Enterprise x64. MediaMonkey 4 (unless I forget to update this)
Ramses

Post by Ramses »

please do NOT add video functionality. every feature requires resources for deveolping and maintaining, time that that will be missing for the rest of the player.
to my understading, requirements for playing audio and video are different, that is why i use 2 players (mediamonkey and zoomplayer). e.g., a good audio player should have a good and fast library, automatic playlists, tagging support and plugins like stereotool. for a video player, the library might be not that important, but instead u need things like subtitle support or post-processing with ffdshow.

that said, i could use my video player (zoomplayer) for audio too, but i dont, because it sucks as an audio player, while it is an good video player. on the other hand, mediamonkey is a very good audio player, but there is always room for improvement (maybe a more modern skin, a feature like genius or a built in cover flow) so why waste the resources for the video capability.
Onweerwolf

Post by Onweerwolf »

nohitter151 wrote:
Onweerwolf wrote:Trying to integrate different stuff into one piece of software almost always results in bloated, slow, resource hogging crapware, like iTunes.
The key word here is "almost". We know MediaMonkey is different already from those other apps, and the reason that there is no video support yet is because they're going to do it the right way.

I think it's short-sighted to say that because no-one has done it well yet, that it can't be done. I fully trust the MM team to do things in a way that doesn't degrade the program.
Depends on your point of view, if you want a program that does audio only and it comes with full fledged video support then it is bloated, regardless of whether it works or not, unless the video stuff can be turned off fully and completely, leaving no trace of it's existence in the audio part. No extra menu's, no buttons, no options you have to deflag and certainly no things that needlessly eat resources.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Onweerwolf wrote:Depends on your point of view, if you want a program that does audio only and it comes with full fledged video support then it is bloated, regardless of whether it works or not, unless the video stuff can be turned off fully and completely, leaving no trace of it's existence in the audio part. No extra menu's, no buttons, no options you have to deflag and certainly no things that needlessly eat resources.
Regardless of how you feel, video is coming. The point really isn't up to debate.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Peke

Post by Peke »

I got two news regarding video:
1. It will be in MM 4.x 100%
2. I just tried MM 4.0.0.1301 built from sources as debug pre alpha nightly build and I must say I have not seen Speed degrade. Althru none of Video Metadata tagging is done yet and there is still so much to be done.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
kcmc20

Post by kcmc20 »

I'd like video support. So many podcasts today are video.