DLNA Experience

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

Anubis

DLNA Experience

Post by Anubis »

Merry Christmas. Thanks to the MM team for my MM4 beta Christmas present...

I've been looking forward to getting DLNA into MM4.
Here is 10 minutes of testing... being Christmas day I'll keep it short and go into my experience more over the next few days.

I have 3 DLNA players at hand, and this is how they work with music in 1342.

WD TV Live - Works best of the 3 players. Can see and play music. A couple of the standard playlists come up with "There is no media in the current folder".
Sony KDL-55HX800 LCD TV - Doesn't even see the MM4 DLNA "server"
Sony PS3 (v3.55) - Can see the MM4 DLNA server, but when I select it, the PS3 comes up with the error "Media Server Error: A DLNA protocol error (800) has occurred"

The system running MM4 is a new(ish) Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. Never had MM3 on it. I imported all my music from a read-only network share.

At this early stage I'm happy to do what I can, especially over the next week as I am on holidays.
I can do Wireshark packet captures on my Win7 machine if that will help.
Regards
Kos

Re: DLNA Experience

Post by Kos »

I am really not sure what to expect from the UPnP facility in MM4. In MM itself I can now see the different UPnP/DLNA servers (Twonky for instance) in my apartment - and so what? Why can't I choose my home's different UPnP renderers (clients) in MM thereby deciding where to distribute the music (and video)? Or maybe this option is already there and I am not seeing it?

On my Noxon I don't see any MM4 server - but Twonky is there as always.

On my iPod Touch (PlugPlayer App for instance) I see MM4 as a media renderer enabling me to play songs on my computer controlled by the iPod Touch.

But again - what should we expect...?

/kos
Setup: Sonos, Twonky, Qnap, MediaMonkey Lifetime
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You need to enable the DLNA sharing part in the MediaMonkey options for other DLNA aware devices to see MediaMonkey.
Kos

Post by Kos »

I've done that but I only see the renderer (client) part of MM4, NOT the server part (which is far more interesting to me). Should MM4 be able to function as a server or is it only a renderer? Just to get my expectations right... :-?

/Kos
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

My Sony KDL EX700 TV also fails to see MediaMonkey.
Kos

Post by Kos »

...ouch - stupid me. Didn't realize I had to ADD the MM server in the settings - thought is was default on. Next thing: Find a wifi/ethernet tv able to 'see' videos via MM4... nice :)

My Noxon can now see the MM server - but it is locked. Have to open it somehow...

/Kos

EDIT: MM server is seen by my Noxon iRadio and my TEAC WAP-4500 - but none of the clients are able to actually access music via the MM server. :(

Post by Guest »

I have SLA5520 and UNPN funtiion work fine.

The only thing I'd like to see in this release is a realtime audio-output to the DLNA client.
so that I can choose my music from withing MM instead of the client.
Kos

Post by Kos »

...exactly - something like Cidero enabling you to control the UPnP renderers from the PC... that would be a nice feature. Looking forward to test my SLA5520 - Noxon and Teac not able to play anything...

/Kos
Peke

Post by Peke »

Be careful to read all option in Tools -> Options -> Library Media Sharing as by default MM needs to authorize Player to get access to Library.

Suggestions are welcome as this is still work in progress. Also MM can act as media rendered if you enable control MM through uPNP.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Kos

Post by Kos »

Peke - I have said yes to everything I can find in that option section but still no access to the music in my MM library when using Noxon and TEAC. In fact the MediaMonkey-line in my Noxon display is shown with a tiny padlock next to it... hm...

And yes - as noticed earlier I am able to use my iPod Touch as a control point thereby controlling MM (= renderer) on my pc.

But again: Turning MM into a AV UPnP/DNLA control point would be a very nice feature...

/Kos
BMF

Post by BMF »

On my Sonos system the MM Server is visible and i can browse and listen to the music. I control it via CR 100 (that's the older one, new one is called CR 200) and the desktop controller. It works fine.
nothing but a bmf ....
--------------------------
Windows 10 Professional (64 Bit); MM 5 (lifetime licence);
iPod Classic, Sonos
Kos

Post by Kos »

BMF wrote:On my Sonos system the MM Server is visible and i can browse and listen to the music. I control it via CR 100 (that's the older one, new one is called CR 200) and the desktop controller. It works fine.
Saw it for a second with my Sonos setup (CR200) - now it's gone. Did you do 'something' or was the MM server just there...? According to Sonos ONLY Rhapsody and Windows Media Servers 'are let through' their UPnP gate... (which is very annoying because it would solve the 65,000 Sonos track limit).

/Kos
BMF

Post by BMF »

Hello Kos,

actually i was surprised to see the MM Server for i read about the issues of Rhapsody and the Windows Media Server too. Then i remembered that some server software mimic to be a Windows Media Server. Dear developers? Is that the right guess?

Back to Kos' question. I didn't do nothing special. At least i can't remember :D. I try to describe (draw) my MM settings:

Media Sharing:

x enable media sharing
x allow control of MM player via UpnP

enabled________Server Name________IP Port________Status
__ x___________ MM Server__________46250________running

Highlighting the running server under options i did x some of my collections, i did not touch the rest of the option pages. Before getting all to work i had to confirm the access in a tiny message window that popped up (only once).

I mentioned the use of the old controller CR 100 for in the Sonos forums the users tell about the CR 200 not to recognize other servers then those Sonos want to be recognized. A fact that may lead in losing my friendship ;-) for Windows Media Server isn't good enough for my needs.

Greeting from Berlin

bmf
nothing but a bmf ....
--------------------------
Windows 10 Professional (64 Bit); MM 5 (lifetime licence);
iPod Classic, Sonos
Kos

Post by Kos »

...thanks for the answer! I did the same - but no MM access with the CR200 :(

But now it's back on the Sonos desktop controller - but nothing is playable! Also - I have ticked every possible box on the MM media sharing content box - but I only see my MM playlists. Where exactly in MM4 do you setup where the server should scan/monitor if not in the media sharing content box? I guess I do it in the tree node (music->location->UPnP server->) - I'll try! And did (scanning was visible) - but Sonos will still only 'see' playlists on my NAS but it will now play these through desktop controller but not handheld controller (CR200).

Developers - please mimic the Windows Media Server - then it will work on Sonos :D

/Kos
rodie83

Post by rodie83 »

Sony PS3 (v3.55) - Can see the MM4 DLNA server, but when I select it, the PS3 comes up with the error "Media Server Error: A DLNA protocol error (800) has occurred"
I second that. Dunno what is going wrong, but is is not working on my PS3 (firmware 3.55) either.

Further more i'd like to know if it is the intention to make last.fm scrobbling work when you use MM as mediaserver. I have been searching for a mediaserver with this functionality for ages, but can't find one which does this while running on Windows.