[1423] Stack Overflow in Edit properties for multiple files

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

HaraldBluetooth1963

[1423] Stack Overflow in Edit properties for multiple files

Post by HaraldBluetooth1963 »

Right clicking and use cut, copy, paste, delete on the information in the fields, gives Stack Overflow and MM crash.

This has been a problem for a long time now and not only in the latest build.

Windows 7 Ultimate
Ludek

Re: [1423] Stack Overflow in Edit properties for multiple fi

Post by Ludek »

I cannot reproduce, could you describe some exact steps to reproduce or catch a video using Jing demonstrating the issue?
HaraldBluetooth1963

Hmm - now I can't either. So it's periodical and maybe depended of other things. I have to dig further into this.
HaraldBluetooth1963

Now I've captured a video with Jing.

Code: Select all

https://rapidshare.com/files/1485162675/Stack_Overflow_in_MediaMonkey_Edit_properties_Multiple_files.swf
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Thanks, I still cannot reproduce, but I noticed several things from the video.

1. Start of your MM is very slow and MM actions slowly. I see that you have a lot of scripts/addons installed, did you try to run MM without the scripts to see whether the slowdowns are script related?
2. You got an Access Violation when right-clicked the album (before you got the 'Stack overflow' error), I guess it could be somehow related, please ensure that you are using the latest build (1323) and send the error report as MM asked in the dialog when you get the Access Violation.
3. I wonder whether the 'Stack Overflow' can be also related to a script, is it reproducable without the scripts?
PetrCBR

Post by PetrCBR »

What was the AV before you edit properties ?
How to make a debuglog - step 4b: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86643
HaraldBluetooth1963

The AV shown in the video is also new to me. I don't know, what caused that. I just opened MM and it was kind of locked. I couldn't do anything the first 10-20 sec.

But the Stack overflow is also reproduceable without the initial AV. I've made a new video without scripts running and without the AV, but until this one was captured, I had several of those AV's after restart of MM.

Here is the new video:

https://rapidshare.com/files/4046483965/Stack_Overflow_in_MediaMonkey_Edit_properties_Multiple_files_without_scripts.swf
As you can see - after I start MM, I choose an album to play (flacs) and while playing, I choose another album to edit properties and choose a field and cut some information with right click and cut.

I have 12 harddisks and my music files is split on 3 of those. I don't know if this can be the cause for slow startup.
PetrCBR

Post by PetrCBR »

Try to switch to another skin (e.g. default Vitreous ... looks like it could be skin related issue).
HaraldBluetooth1963

The same happens with Vetreous skin.
PetrCBR

Post by PetrCBR »

Can you try with details view ?
HaraldBluetooth1963

It's the same in Details View and I've also tried to change Output Plugin and another soundcard.

It's enough to mark some text and right click, so the right click menu is shown and then it happens.
HaraldBluetooth1963

Now I think I have come closer to the reason for this behaviour.

The problem is caused by another software called Actual Window Manager

http://www.actualtools.com/windowmanager/
I have a dual monitor/screeen setup with my pc monitor as monitor 1 and my hdtv as monitor 2 and Actual Window Manager gives me a windows start menu on both monitors and I can easily move program windows from one monitor to the other. This was an alternative to have (and buy) a dedicated HTPC to run my hdtv.

When I stop Actual Window Manager I don't get any Stack Overflow in MM. By the way, this program is also stopping MM3 from running - MM3 crashes upon startup.

Sorry guys I should have stopped this program from running in background, while testing MM4, but actually I had forgot all about it.

Edit: After visiting Actual Window forum it seems, that the problems with MediaMonkey (skinned version) is a known issue and they advice users to add MM as an exclusion to the program, so that MM is unprocessed by Actual Tools programs. After making this exclusion I don't have any Stack Overflows anymore in MM and I can also run MM3 without problems ......nice :D
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

MultiMon Taskbar: http://www.mediachance.com/free/multimon.htm doesn't cause problems with MM3 here.