IOS5 Sync Incredibly Slow on 4s [SOLVED]

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

nohitter151

Re: [IOS5] Sync Incredibly Slow on 4s

Post by nohitter151 »

Something is wrong with iOS syncing in version 4.1. I'm getting around to submitting a bug, just a matter of putting everything together.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
sdudley7

Post by sdudley7 »

nohitter151 wrote:Something is wrong with iOS syncing in version 4.1. I'm getting around to submitting a bug, just a matter of putting everything together.
Good to know. I will provide any updates if I discover anything. After restoring and reinstalling MediaMonkey on a fresh install all I'm getting are grayed out files.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I'm logging my problems with iOS sync here: http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=10343
sdudley7

Post by sdudley7 »

While trying to narrow down possible causes, I installed MediaMonkey on my Laptop and synced my phone and it worked fine.

Both are running Windows 7. I used the same cable. I've tried new usb ports on my desktop and still the same results.

My latest install I uninstalled MediaMonkey completely. I've deleted/reinstalled the drivers on my iPhone as well. Still refuses to work on my Desktop. Both are running the same anti-virus, etc. Nothing is different, they are virtually the same machines.

*Edit*

Disregard, it no longer syncs on the Laptop. It was a rare occurrence, issue stands as is.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

32GB iPhone 4s - Success
64GB iPhone 4s - No Success
It is interesting that the devices are almost same (despite the capacity) and one works and another doesn't work on the same machine, same iTunes version, same iOS?
Could you verify that iOS version is really same on both devices?
I see in the previous posts that you tried to restore the device to no success.
Are you saying that syncing e.g. just one album also fails or the problem is starting when syncing large amount of tracks?
Are you syning the same tracks to both devices to exclude a content related problem?
sdudley7

Post by sdudley7 »

Ludek wrote:
32GB iPhone 4s - Success
It is interesting that the devices are almost same (despite the capacity) and one works and another doesn't work on the same machine, same iTunes version, same iOS?
Could you verify that iOS version is really same on both devices?
I see in the previous posts that you tried to restore the device to no success.
Are you saying that syncing e.g. just one album also fails or the problem is starting when syncing large amount of tracks?
Are you syning the same tracks to both devices to exclude a content related problem?
Thanks for following up Ludek,

I've got it able to sync a few files if I drag them over. The 32GB has less files to sync. The 64GB I sync about 3,000 songs. I've tried to sync the same songs with no auto-playlists (to see if it was slowing down because of generating an auto-playlist) but had the same outcome. There are no audio or video conversions. To get a feel of the time, last sync I left it running for about 24 hours and it was only on track 800/3000.
Niffty

Post by Niffty »

I have iPhone 5 64gb, it is synching but extremely slow like others report.
Is taking around 30 minutes for 250 songs. currently have 3220 songs which is 14.2gb.

I am also finding that I need to sync a number of times to get all files and even then will shows varying mb still not synched and usually I have to disconnect and reconnect so it rescans to get the best results.

Looking forward to when this works flawlessly.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Note that when having issues it is best to submit debug logs as they'll show why this is happening: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=6&t=341
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Note that I fixed today a regression in 4.1 related to iOS5/iOS6 sync: http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=10343

So please test build 1620 once the build will be available (usually in several days)
sdudley7

Post by sdudley7 »

Thanks guys,

Just a quick update. While troubleshooting on my end. I switched the cable and changed the USB it was plugged to. This seemed to speed up the sync process tremendously but it still crashed around 800 files and all files that it synced were still grey. I submitted a debug with my email.
Last edited by Lowlander on Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed email to prevent spam
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Note that iOS syncing will be fixed on build 1620.
Ludek wrote:Note that I fixed today a regression in 4.1 related to iOS5/iOS6 sync: http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=10343

So please test build 1620 once the build will be available (usually in several days)
sdudley7

Post by sdudley7 »

Attempted to sync in 1622 last night. Failed at about 1400 files and all songs were gray. Uploaded debug file
Last edited by Lowlander on Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed personal info
sdudley7

Post by sdudley7 »

Tested 1622 again with a small playlist. Sync finished all the way but all files gray. All songs are in the iTunes_Control/Music directory but 0 bytes.

Tried syncing one song, same result.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

sdudley7 wrote:Tested 1622 again with a small playlist. Sync finished all the way but all files gray. All songs are in the iTunes_Control/Music directory but 0 bytes.

Strange, are the results still same that
32GB iPhone 4s - Success
?

i.e. You cannot sync even one single track to "64GB iPhone 4s" even if you sync the same file without a problem to "32GB iPhone 4s" on the same computer, same iTunes and same iOS versions ?

Could you try to
1. Restore the 64GB iPhone 4s
2. Sync one track to see if it works
3. Sync the same amount of tracks (and same tracks) as to the 32 GB version to see if it works
4. Sync the 64 GB up to the capacity

Because it sounds like it is able to sync 32 GB of tracks, but is not able to sync 64 GB, can you confirm?
It is the only difference I see.

Does iTunes sync work fine to sync 64 GB?

Another cause could be USB connection, I saw some reports where users had iPhone connected via USB hub and connecting it directly or to another USB port solved the troubles, but I guess you use the same USB port for both devices?
sdudley7

Post by sdudley7 »

Ludek wrote:
sdudley7 wrote:Tested 1622 again with a small playlist. Sync finished all the way but all files gray. All songs are in the iTunes_Control/Music directory but 0 bytes.

Strange, are the results still same that
32GB iPhone 4s - Success
?

i.e. You cannot sync even one single track to "64GB iPhone 4s" even if you sync the same file without a problem to "32GB iPhone 4s" on the same computer, same iTunes and same iOS versions ?

Could you try to
1. Restore the 64GB iPhone 4s
2. Sync one track to see if it works
3. Sync the same amount of tracks (and same tracks) as to the 32 GB version to see if it works
4. Sync the 64 GB up to the capacity

Because it sounds like it is able to sync 32 GB of tracks, but is not able to sync 64 GB, can you confirm?
It is the only difference I see.

Does iTunes sync work fine to sync 64 GB?

Another cause could be USB connection, I saw some reports where users had iPhone connected via USB hub and connecting it directly or to another USB port solved the troubles, but I guess you use the same USB port for both devices?
Yes, exact same results. I restored before testing.

I switched cables and also switched to my laptop. The strange thing is, the farthest I got it to sync was one file out of 10. I tried to duplicate that run and run it again but it went back to syncing zero files. The 32 GB syncs fine, no errors whatsoever. Syncing with the same library and files, the 32 GB is good.

The 64 GB also syncs with iTunes fine. When I do the "Sync one file from iTunes then sync with MediaMonkey" trick the only file that plays is the one synced with iTunes.