Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

I prefer the Auto-Organize as

You may select 1 option

View results

ckozlov

Auto Organize Files Tab - loses place after OK or Cancel

Post by ckozlov »

This is more of a minor annoyance and probably one of those things that would get fixed closer to release.

To recreate - list by artist / show art with details view. Using Windows 7 64bit. MM 4.1.0.1630.

Go into an artist folder with a dozen albums or so in it. Scroll down a bit - maybe the middle of the albums. Right-click on one of the albums and choose "auto-organize files". A new tab appears that gives renaming options. Whether you rename something and choose OK or Cancel, you don't get returned to the album / space you were working on. Seems like the window will scroll up or down to another album location. I can't identify an exact pattern, but it happens most of the time (not all).

Something different happen when you have multiple artist tabs open. Say you have three tabs open and you do an "auto-organize files" on an album in the rightmost tab. Whether you choose OK or cancel, you are returned to whatever the leftmost tab is as opposed to the one tab / album you were working on.

Again - nothing major. I appreciate all the hard work that is going into this new version. I'm a long-time owner and there is no better product than MM.

Thanks
Last edited by nohitter151 on Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged with existing topic
Lowlander

Re: 4.1.0.1609 -- auto-organize dialog/tab

Post by Lowlander »

CanEmphasize wrote:Problem: After auto-organize tab return to "First tab", rather than the previous used tab.
http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=10729
kknostman

Post by kknostman »

Does anyone know when this functionality will be restored? It's becoming very cumbersome to use the new tab method. I've been forced to let my library organizing set because of this waiting on the reversion to the original and better method.
NotUnless

Post by NotUnless »

Chances are probably not unless there is enough a user base that show their dislike. In the meantime, you can try to make it better by finding bug regarding it...
kknostman

Post by kknostman »

What would be nice is a developer response. :)

This functionality change, along with the broken auto organize "return" to the last view, makes organizing files MUCH more annoying than they ever were before. While I can appreciate developers coming up with new things they should at least respond to customer concerns when those changes end up causing a negative impact to usability. This definitely is an example of that.

It also completely defeats the use of two monitors which I used all the time before with MM. Now with all of these forced tabs in the main window you might as well be running a single display :D

For some tabbed might be desirable for this but how about making it an option? Add a check box in the "Auto organize" page of the options window that says "display auto organize in a separate window?"

Please? :)
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

This is part of a larger trend where programs do things in tabs instead of separate Windows. It seems that MediaMonkey will go this direction too (eventually), but the current implementation is being evaluated.
kknostman

Post by kknostman »

Thanks. I can understand how tabs can be desirable but in this case the older functionality was much more productive I think. But hopefully we can have the best of both worlds at some point where it would be "dockable" (which is also a common approach) so that the user can decide if they prefer the integrated tab or a movable non-modal window.

Crossing my fingers :)
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

The related issues are fixed and a new config added in build 1640:
http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=10355
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

Lowlander wrote:This is part of a larger trend where programs do things in tabs instead of separate Windows. It seems that MediaMonkey will go this direction too (eventually), but the current implementation is being evaluated.
Windows 8 is a *trend* now too but wouldn't suggest everyone build all their UI as Metro <G>
I am dealing with a development product which recently released a new UI for web development .. very *nice* but now EVERYTHING is tabs. Even when logically it doesn't make sense.
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

It's an option as of build 1640 under Tools > Options > Appearance.
Teknojnky

Post by Teknojnky »

Lowlander wrote:It's an option as of build 1640 under Tools > Options > Appearance.
WHOOOOOHOOOOOO!!!!

Thanks team!
kknostman

Post by kknostman »

Fantastic! Thanks for changing MediaMonkey Devs (Rusty? ;D)

You guys rock!