MM Service and App Services

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

ILC

Re: MM Service and App Services

Post by ILC »

I have the service installed and I have the problems described above. These problems are directly related to the "headerless" service being installed and running and THEN logging in and running MM. I hope you will understand this important issue.

In my view, the function of the service is to behave as a DLNA server that is always operating when your computer is running and even when you are not logged in.

The problem is that the service is being impacted by running the MM application -- media streaming being provided by the service is interrupted when you run MM. If you start the stream again and then log off MM, then the media stream is interrupted again and you need to restart it. I assume this has to do with the DLNA server function switching between the service and the MM application when you start and shutdown the MM application. This is the part that is broken and needs to be fixed.
Peke

Post by Peke »

We are aware of that, MediaMonkey is designed decade ago, then there was no NAS and iPhone, Android and .... (at least now as available and cheap as now) where things were much simpler. We evolve with future and there are big plans (I seen them and they are gorges) for MMW in order address such problem.

Anyone here can say that each mayor build bring things further without loss to our users. Just patience, few years ago almost no one in team had Linux based NAS and one we had was on ARM and slow CPU/RAM costing triple than Intel based dual core NAS with Multimedia Station and HDCP output, there was no Smart TVs (and its APIs).

Think that Dev team is not also obtaining and absorbing new technology we can develop new things, which we already do.

If someone remember in 2001/2 Winamp is used as player, than users asked for internal player, than skinning, more features, scripting, Synching, .....
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
ILC

Post by ILC »

Lowlander, I run a setup like this and I DO have the problem I am describing. The problem has nothing to do with NAS or other devices.

When you have this setup, media streaming from the service IS interrupted when you run MM. Media streaming IS interrupted again when you close MM. This is not acceptable.

How can I say this more simply for you?
ILC

Post by ILC »

Yes they will as soon as they need to create a playlist or manage their library.

Perhaps you are looking at the design in very technical terms and not primarily at the general user operational need for persistent DLNA server functions and separate management functions. I do not get your logic most of the time on this point and I strongly disagree with your view of simple wins at the cost of inflexibility and interruption of DLNA server functions (yes -- in your "service").