BUG - Breaks iPhone's connection to iTunes

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

Daminator

BUG - Breaks iPhone's connection to iTunes

Post by Daminator »

Hi,

I've been using MediaMonkey 4.1 (1683) to put music onto my iPhone 5s (iOS7).

It seems to work fine until I connect the phone back to iTunes again (to sync apps .. not music). I get this error message:

"iTunes cannot read the contents of the iPhone "My iPhone". Go to Summary tab in iPhone preferences and click Restore to restore the iPhone to factory settings."

Luckily, I found this thread ...
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/44 ... 5&tstart=0
.. so I didn't have to reset my phone. Renaming a couple of files made everything fine again and I could reconnect to iTunes.

However. The next time I add music to my phone in MediaMonkey, the problem comes back.

Media Monkey seems to be breaking one of more of these files .. "iTunesCDB" "iTunesContol" and "iTunesPrefs".

Please fix this. MediaMonkey is SOO much better then iTunes for the music management, but I still want to use iTunes to synchronise my apps etc.

Thanks
Daminator

PS Renaming the files on the phone resets the database, meaning that I loose the music that I had added from MM.
Ludek

Re: BUG - Breaks iPhone's connection to iTunes

Post by Ludek »

Hi, I cannot replicate your issue (tested with MM 4.1.0.1685, iPod Touch 5, iOS 7.0.4, iTunes 11.1.0)

Couldn't it be caused by an older iTunes, do you use latest iTunes?
Is anyone else with the latest iTunes/iOS and iPhone 5s able to replicate this?

Re the wiping the music synced by MM, did you check '[x] Manually select music and videos' option in iTunes?
Daminator

Post by Daminator »

Hi Ludek,

Thanks for the quick response.

Yes, I'm using the latest version if iTunes. I have uninstalled and re-installed in since noticing this problem.

iTunes is not wiping my music. It's the renaming/deleting the database file on my phone (the process to enable iTunes to see my phone again) that is getting rid of any reference to the music, then iTunes rebuilds the database file (so I understand).

I have no idea if the actual music files are still floating around on my phone, but the phones certainly doesn't know that they are there if they are.

Please fix find a way to fix this! I hate having to use iTunes for my music, but I'll have to go back to doing that if this happens every time :-(

Thanks,
Daminator
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Hi, I would love to fix it, but that is hard to fix when the issue does not happen to me.

I wonder if it could be related to certain content?
i.e. if you sync just one single music track to the iPhone, is this issue happenning too? (I am trying to find a way how to simulate/repro the issue on my end)
Anyone else seeing this issue?
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

I also can't reproduce with my iPhone 4.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Maybe it is specific only to iPhone 5S ?

Daminator, could you generate debug log (item 4b here: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=6&t=341 ), start DbgView, then start MM and perform a sync, then save the log. Also the iTunesCDB file created by iTunes and created by MM would be useful.
Daminator

Post by Daminator »

Just tried moving a single file across, and it worked! iTunes was fine with that.

However, once I clicked 'Synchronise' in iTunes, the song was removed, even though I've un-ticked the 'Syncy Music' option.

I'll try adding a couple of albums now and see what happens ...

OK, we definitely have progress! I added about 5 albums and they all played fine. When I opened iTunes, it was fine with the phone (yay) and the music was still there.

Maybe there was a problem with MediaMonkey 4.1.0.1683 (the one I originally used) and it's fixed in 4.1.0.1685 (the version I'm using now)?

So, nothing actually breaks any more, but my music still gets deleted as soon as I synchronise in iTunes, even though I've tried to tell it to leave the music alone.

Can I fix that?

Thanks,
Daminator.
Daminator

Post by Daminator »

Yay,

Fixed that last problem by going through this:
http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... _ipod_sync
(it's a bit out of date, but still made sense)

All working now.
Happy bunny again :-)

Thanks
Daminator