Errorneous extension installation for all users

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

Flint4

Errorneous extension installation for all users

Post by Flint4 »

Hi

I have just tried to install the MM Codec Pack (Tools > Extensions... > Add... > MM_Codec_Pack_2.1.2.105.mmip > open) for all users (checkbox unchecked) when I got the error message

Code: Select all

"MM codec pack was not installed" 

OK
because I was running MMW without admin rights.

At this point a feature request. Would it be possible to show another, more saying error message like for example "MM codec pack was not installed, please start MM with admin rights and try again"? I think the existing error message could be confusing to less advanced users, when MMW just tells that the codec pack was not installed, without giving any reason why it did not work.

Next, after I clicked OK, i closed the extensions dialog and reopened it again (Tools > Extensions...). To my confusion, the codec pack appeared to be installed properly for all users :-?. To test the installation of the codec pack I tried to set up a conversion rule for my portable (mp4 video h264 which needs the codec pack) and got an error "codec missing". So I concluded that the codec pack is errorneously shown in the extensions dialog but not installed "physically".

What is your opinion about that?

MMW: 4.1.2.1706 debug gold
Codec pack: 2.1.2.105 registered
Windows 7 x64
Best wishes,

Alex
bhamon

Re: Errorneous extension installation for all users

Post by bhamon »

I had the same sequence of events occur. I have not solved it yet. Hope you get an answer.
mackay_tt

Post by mackay_tt »

I just had the same experience.
MM_Codec_Pack_Trail_2.2.2.105.mmip ends the installation with the message that it was not installed. It does appear in the Tools>Extensions list - but does not work. :(
emm_

Post by emm_ »

Did anyone work this out?
I have the exact same problem happening (win 7)
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

emm_ wrote:Did anyone work this out?
I have the exact same problem happening (win 7)
It explains right in the original post:
Flint4 wrote:I have just tried to install the MM Codec Pack (Tools > Extensions... > Add... > MM_Codec_Pack_2.1.2.105.mmip > open) for all users (checkbox unchecked) when I got the error message

"MM codec pack was not installed"

OK
because I was running MMW without admin rights.
So either check the box to install for current user only, or start MM with admin rights.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Flint4

Post by Flint4 »

Ok, I'm glad that I am not the only one who has experienced these problems. So what about my feature request:
Flint4 wrote: At this point a feature request. Would it be possible to show another, more saying error message like for example "MM codec pack was not installed, please start MM with admin rights and try again"? I think the existing error message could be confusing to less advanced users, when MMW just says that the codec pack was not installed, without giving any reason why it did not work.
...and this Problem:
Flint4 wrote: Next, after I clicked OK, i closed the extensions dialog and reopened it again (Tools > Extensions...). To my confusion, the codec pack appeared to be installed properly for all users :-?. To test the installation of the codec pack I tried to set up a conversion rule for my portable (mp4 video h264 which needs the codec pack) and got an error "codec missing". So I concluded that the codec pack is errorneously shown in the extensions dialog but not installed "physically".
I have reported this problem because less advanced users than myself can easily get in serious trouble with stuff like that. The behaviour of MMW is in this case fare away from user friendly.

What will such users do? They ask Ventis Media Support, post into the forum or put MMW into the waste bin while shouting and crying... :wink: :lol: (just kidding)
Best wishes,

Alex